Lilo and Stitch

ReneeQ

DIS Veteran
Don't know if this is the right board, but it is a "family" question.

I am going to visit my sister and nephew next week and was hoping to take him to see Lilo and Stitch. He is 4. My sister informs me this movie is rated PG and she isn't sure if he should go. If they say "bad" words or there is a lot of hitting, etc., he seems to pick those things up and try them out on his friends at school! I think it's just a phase, but she's being careful with what he watches these days and it seems to help.

Has anyone seen this movie yet? What did you think? Why, exactly, is it rated PG and not G?

Thanks!

I took my 2 and 3 year old to see it via a DC preview screening. My son is big into spaceships so he loved those parts, but was a little bored with the "down to earth" parts.

There are no "bad" words, I believe the worst that really stuck out to me was Lilo's sister calling the driver of a car "stupidhead" and kicking the front fender. Lilo also punches and bites a fellow child at the beginning.

There is a lot of sci-fi action at the beginning and the end, which may scare some children, and Stitch can be kind of gross at times (he spits). Those combinations may be why it earned a PG rating.

It is really not your "classic" Disney movie, there are no computer-generated effects (all simple animation), and Elvis IS the soundtrack, with the exception of some Hawaian-themed music.

I would classify the movie as "cute" and maybe 3 out of 5 stars. It has its funny moments, a good message about family/fitting in, and is good for kids and adults alike.

I was wondering the same thing. I generally don't allow DSs 4 and 6 to see PG rated movies but make exceptions when I think it is appropriate. Has anyone seen the movie? Any other opinions? Thanks!

For it to be rated PG instead of G there has to be a little something in it. I know Shrek is PG and it has several cuss words, so I would assume that is what Lilo & Stitch has. But I am not sure, I haven't seen it. My kids want to see Scooby Doo also, but I have heard it has nudity or something vulgar in it. Anyone seen either movie? What do you think?

A review I read said it was "PG for mild sci-fi action".

We saw Scooby Doo last week-end and found it quite scary and a little crude. It is quite different form the simple cartoon scary hummor. My ten year old thought it was cool but it scared my friends 5&7 year olds. The plot is kinda hard to follow. Not at all what we expected. Going to try and catch Lolo and Stitch this next week.

We took our 3 1/2 year old to see Lilo and Stitch. The only thing that I would add to the comments above is that there is some shooting of plasma guns at Stitch, and at others. There also are some more complex themes at the center of the movie (concerning death of the parents and possible break-up of the family). Its all handled delicately in typical Disney fashion. We all enjoyed the movie, and didn't see anything that concerned us too much (but we tend to be fairly liberal in this regard).

;)

We've now seen L&S two times. I just wanted to reassure everyone there are indeed no bad words, just the sci-fi action and crude behavior previously mentioned. And Stitch *does* reform, getting sweeter as the movie progresses. I'm very conservative (was furious with mil for taking ds to Shrek), but have no problem with ds (9) seeing this (again and again! LOL).

I took my son and his entire class for his 6th birthday. They all loved the movie, however one mom chose not to send her child because of the pg rating. Quite honestly until she mentioned it I didn't even think to check the rating assuming a dis flick would be G. Afterwards I told her about the previously mentioned scenes and she agreed they were mild and is going to take him herself.
I do believe each parent has to make their own choices, I know people who were outraged by Lion King, and the whole dad dying storyline. To each their own!

Thanks for the tips. I try to watch out what I let my kids watch b/c I don't want them to pick up on ugly words. I did, however, let them watch Shrek. I had just heard there were ALOT of inappropriate scenes in Scooby Doo, so until it comes out on video and I can preview it before my kids do, we will probably pass on it. We will probably go ahead and see Lilo & Stitch now that I have heard alittle more about it.

Thanks everyone for your help! Still not sure if we're going, as he's only 4. But this helps!

I took my nephews (8 and 10) to see Lilo and Stitch on Friday. My 7 mo. DD stayed with my MIL. There was no bad language and very little violence. As others have said, it has sci-fi elements which may be scary. My nephews loved the movie, and so did I. The backgrounds were absolute works of art.

--Kathy

My wife and her sister took our 2 1/2 year-old DD to see it. My SIL was surprised at how many times she heard "stupid." All three thought the movie was great.

You are all so luckly I,m from England, and we have to wait till October to see it.:smooth:

I'm fairly liberal when it comes to viewing movies (up to PG) but I just wanted to comment on both movies as we have seen them.

Scooby Doo - Didn't have any nudity at all. I really didn't find it to be bad at all but if you have doubts it probably is better to just watch it on video first. I will say that I really enjoyed the fact that nobody died in it. So many kids movies have a death or death scene in them. In typical Scooby Doo fashion the bad guy gets hauled away by the police. No serious violence and violence is generally my biggest concern. I don't recall any foul language either.

Lilo & Stitch - Mild mild violence but nothing worse than watching the Buzz Lightyear cartoon on TV. Stupidhead is said a few times but that is about as close to a bad word as it gets. By the end of the movie *everybody* is a better person and nobody gets impaled (Little Mermaid), blown up (Mulan), thrown into a fiery pit (Lion King), falls off a castle (Beauty & The Beast)...and those are G movies. So when you put things in perspective, the PG rating actually baffles me. It's a really good movie.

But of course, this is all just my humble opinion. :)

Saw it today with my 4 year old it was fine except for Lilo biting and punching her friend in the face. So if your nephew is very likely to try that out you might want to avoid it. We both teally liked it.

DD (3) has seen L&S and monsters inc. Thats it as far as movies go. She doesn't like the scary characters in disney movies, we read the books.
We did buy the L&S book and read it first. The 'bad' people aren't really scary looking, more funny looking than anything.

I also didn't realize it had a PG rating. I thim=nk all movies should be parental guidance.

Anyway, I recommend this movie. The so called violence is more funny then violent.

What are the songs like? I might go and see Lilo and Stitch when I come over to America sometime this year.:)

Originally posted by Jelly
What are the songs like? I might go and see Lilo and Stitch when I come over to America sometime this year.:)
Our family thought the songs were wonderful. We bought the soundtrack and have listened to it over and over. There are several Elvis tunes, two new songs with Hawaiian themes & lyrics (those are my favorite) and then the movie-ending version of "Burning Love" by Wynonna. We loved the music!! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter