Lilo & Stitch: is it a "love it" or "hate it?"

ok now i agree with both of you and think maybe there is just no clear cut way to really compare isnt that also possibe?

Gone with the wind and Pearl HHHEEAAL shouldnt be said in the same sentence

Had a few more points to make before I accidentally hit 'submit reply'...

When some of the early films like Snow White and Pinnochio came out there was not nearly as much competition for the entertainment dollar as there is today.

True, but there were also a lot fewer people, period. And they spent a smaller percentage of their income on entertainment. There was less competition for entertainment dollars because there were fewer entertainment dollars to go around.

Also, most people here should be more concerned with recent numbers as those are what is important to companies like Disney and Dreamworks. So, "2nd to Lion King", "1st in CGI animated", etc... make more than great "copy"...they are very valid statements and make every bit as much sense as the 'adjusted for inflation' totals.

Yes, when talking about the current capabilities of the various players, the success of Shrek and Monsters has much more relevance than the success of Snow White or Peter Pan, or even The Lion King. But 2nd to Lion King is not valid, as it makes two extremely false assumptions. One, that The Lion King was the most popular animated movie ever, and two, that Shrek is 2nd. Both are false. Of course, when promoting Shrek, its better to say 2nd than 12th, so the motivation is understood.

If we want to use the unadjusted lists just to compare $$$, that's fine, but its pretty pointless unless the movies came out within a year or two of each other.

How about the top ten by the number of tickets sold;

Gone with the Wind = 283 Million
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs = 225 Million
Star Wars = 177 Million
ET = 158 Million
101 Dalmations = 143 Million
Bambi = 141 Million
Titanic = 131 Million
Jaws = 129 Million
Sound of Music = 119 Million
Ten Commandments = 118 Million

Hey BStanley- Do you have a link to that info? I've never been able to find it, only $$$'s.

Thanks...

rottentomatoes now shows l&s at 81%, with 46 fresh, 11 rotten. FWIW Shrek currently has 89% with 125 fresh, 16 rotten (not dure how many of the 125 had 20/20 hindsight).
That's good for L&S. As for 20/20 hindsite, I think the numbers for Shrek actually went down. I remember them in the low 90's. Monsters, Inc. is currently at an amazing 95% with 7 out of 123 rottens.
you know, i was hoping you'd get excited enough to take your kids to the theatre instead of pirating it. Just don't come back complaining about the quality of the bootlegged copy please - i was looking forward to reading your opinion but i won't give it a lot of weight if your first impression is based on a bootleg download.
If the movie is good (and I think it will be), I still have every intention of taking the kids to the local Regal Cinema to see it. We saw Shrek, Monsters Inc, Jimmy Neutron and Harry Potter at the cinema...on the other hand, I've been able to avoid wasting money on films like Scooby Doo and Pearl Harbor.

To add fuel to a fire that has already been burning for at least a year, Monsters Inc. grossed only 12 million less then Shrek. Shrek Opened during one of the worst summer movie seasons in a long time. Monster Inc. Opened to some of the stiffist Family movie competition in a long time.

Subjective? yes, but interesting too.

Either way, I'm bored with these games. My only hope is that Disney starts making good product again. I'd like some good product in the Traditional Animation field. If that happens here, then L&S is an incredible success.

If it manages to spark a renewel in the Disney Animation Department, then it is a Roaring success the likes of which haven't been seen since 1989.

To add fuel to a fire that has already been burning for at least a year, Monsters Inc. grossed only 12 million less then Shrek. Shrek Opened during one of the worst summer movie seasons in a long time. Monster Inc. Opened to some of the stiffist Family movie competition in a long time
How was last summer the worst movie season in a long...oh, wait...Atlantis and Pearl Harbor, never mind. And how was Monsters up against the stiffist family movie competition in a long time? It was the only animated film out there for many weeks and then only had Jimmy Neutron for competition.

Shrek still beat Monsters, still won the Oscar and still smashed records for DVD sales. Some of you seem obsessed with discrediting Shrek...I didn't even bring it up in this thread.

I said it was interesting and subjective. There was also Evolution and AI last summer both Were stinkers.

Monsters had Jimmy Neutron, Harry Potter, LOTR.

I don't see How I was attacking anything. People were bandying about these numbers I added to the fun. I think it says a lot that Monsters did such competative buisness given the other movies (LOTR and Harry Potter Bracket Lion King in box office gross).

Similarly Lilo &Stictch has stiff competition in the form of AOTC Spidey, Scooby, Spirit.

Has everyone discredited Treasure Planet already? I think the trailer looks promising even if it did remind me of Atlantis a bit.

My son and I saw Lilo this afternoon. Planokid said he liked it as well as Ice Age and I liked it much more than Atlantis but not as much as Shrek. I'll rate it a notch above Ice Age and leave my thoughts about Spirit to myself.

I think a lot of the reason I didn't rate Lilo higher is because I'm basically a fairy tale kind of viewer when it comes to animation. Even Shrek had a fairy tale involved in the story. So a lot of my opinion is based on personal taste and not on the quality of Lilo so much. I really enjoyed some aspects of the movie while others annoyed me. I'm curious to see what some of you think after you've seen it. I still hope that Lilo mops up at the box office.

By the way, I think that number of tickets sold is the most fair way of measuring popularity for these films. When a huge number of kids go to see a movie the gross logically has to be lower since their tickets cost less and so many tend to go during matinee times.

I think adjusting for inflation is total BS. That is comparing apples and oranges as every year is a different situtation as far as the economy/competition etc.
And AI was a very good movie, just because the public didnt accept a movie that made you think doesnt mean it wasnt a good movie.
And nice to see Pixar mentioned ie-Monsters Inc and sad that we have no disney animated films of late to compare Shrek too.

We just returned from the theater - 4 adults and 4 kids (6-11) and everyone really enjoyed it!

I don't think it's a love it or hate it film. It was very well done in all areas - story, animation, music, etc. I hope that it performs well at the box office so we can keep looking forward to traditionally animated films as well as CGI.

Lisa

I loved the movie - on my list of personal favorites it ranks right up there with The Black Cauldron (I like non-traditional Disney movies). I am not sure how it will do at the box office (although I am sure it'll surpass TBC's total), but it's the freshest Disney movie since Aladdin.

I went to the Twilight show which is supposed to be the Least filled it was packed with kids and adults and everyone seemed to love it. It's definatly the best since Mulan at least. It had the humor of Emperor's new Groove, but the Story Edge of a classic Disney movie. As Mrs. YoHo says it has the old school Disney quality with the semi hip comedy. I thought it was better then Shrek. Now I'm not the biggest Shrek fan, but I does have funny moments and it is fresh. The difference is that Lilo doesn't have sections that Drag. It also has a much stronger plot, but YMMV.

I think this should put Disney Animation back on the map.

Lilo & Stitch....AWESOME! Well worth the wait, it seems like we have been reading about this one forever.

Yoho! said it best:

It had the humor of Emperor's new Groove, but the Story Edge of a classic Disney movie. As Mrs. YoHo says it has the old school Disney quality with the semi hip comedy. I thought it was better then Shrek.

This and John Henry makes me believe that there are still animators out there in DFA that above commercial crass pap being produced. The colors and backgrounds were amazing, the story is engaging, and Lilo's character is as close to a physical actor portraying a character as I think you can produce in a 'cartoon.'

If L&S doesn't win the Oscar, I'm selling my stock. ;)

The critics are right on this one, Disney's got itself a winner with this movie.

I'm guessing the choice of using the watercolor backgrounds happened after the story shifted to Hawaii (Polynesia).

I was reminded of Gauguin whenever there was a shot that included a lot of the tropical background. I can't wait to get this thing on DVD so I see it up close and personal on a big screen HDTV...

You have a big screen HDTV??? Where exactly do you live? Friend...:cool:
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Well, we saw the movie today and I don't think it's a "love it or hate it" movie either. It was a good movie and we all enjoyed it, but I thought it was just ok. Definately worth seeing, but not worth a repeat...at least not until it's available on video.

Hey Capt, I used to have an Obscene Sized T.V. (ie Projected on a Movie Screen) when I was in Chitown. If I had known that was the way to your heart.... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter