• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lilo's Second Weekend

RyMickey

Disney Freak
'Lilo and Stitch' raked in a respectable $22.2 million (according to estimates) this weekend, the result of a 37% drop from the previous weekend. That brings its 10-day total to $77.8 million. With a four-day weekend next weekend due to July 4th being on a Thursday (and with what should be a very decent Wednesday, as well), I think that 'Lilo' should be well over the $100 million mark by the end of next weekend.

'Hey Arnold!' posed no real threat to 'Lilo' this weekend, as it could only muster up $6 million in ticket sales. Next weekend, 'Powerpuff Girls' and 'Men in Black 2' are 'Lilo's' most formidable competition, but I think that even if these two flicks are moviegoers' top choices, there will still be enough spillover (and people who's first choice is 'Lilo') to give 'Lilo' a very decent weekend total.

RyMickey

If anybody is keeping score...las has passed "spirit: cadillac of the cimmeran" -

last weekend #2 to Minority report, then #1 for the week (with no credit for it) - this weekend #2 to mr. deeds, but probably no chance to catch up during the weekdays with the short week - I wonder if there is any chance for next weekend #2 to mib? Probably not with powerpuff and mr. deed - but, yeah, should be over 100 mil. this time next week

dr

I'm not sure how this bodes...I guess the big weekend will be the proof.

It is interesting that percentage wise only 'Hey Arnold' lost a smaller percetage from the Saturday revenues than L&S (and the numbers for 'Arnold' aren't to strong anyway). So perhaps this dropoff for Sunday isn't really too revealing...
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

That's probably pretty accurate scoop. Here's a quote from boxofficeguru.com

"Spending a second weekend at number two was the Disney animated comedy Lilo & Stitch which grossed an estimated $22.2M. Dropping a moderate 37%, the PG-rated film pushed its ten-day cume to an impressive $77.8M. Lilo, with its $80M pricetag, could find its way to $150-160M."

My daughters went to see Hey Arnold on firday and i was surprised how empty the show was on its opening night.
Im glad to see L & S hold up well. But i think making 100 mil. is a stretch when you factor in all the advertising costs with the cost of making the movie. They are still spending big money as the commericals are on all the time.

BobO, I've read that the production budget was $80m and the marketing budget is roughly $35m totalling $115m. We can assume about a 50% take from domestic box equalling $75m to $90m. Then, factor in profit from the sale of toys, the $ McD's paid to throw the toys in Happy Meals, the licensing of the video game, the profits from DVD sales next year and the international box office. I don't know the economics of all those other pieces, but they tack on heavily to the domestic take.

When does the next "family movie" Hit the Screens?

There may have been families that didn't go to the Theater this weekend putting it off til the holiday.

I don't know if that's a valid theory or not.

gcurling i was only commenting on the movie take and not other revenue streams. And even though Hey Arnold was a bomb i just read that it only took 5 mil. to make so they will at least make some money on the movie.
I think alot of families will go see MIB 2 when it opens over the holiday weekend.

Following that logic Bb, you should conceivably be in the camp that applauds the Disney sequal bombardment...After all they ARE mkng Disney $$$...:confused:

:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter