Limiting DVC Discounts???

We save well over $800 a year just on the AP for two adults. When I factor in memory maker (which of course is included in AP) savings every trip it quickly jumps. Our kids will soon be old enough to require APs so our savings again will increase.

I haven’t even considered discounts on dining and merchandise but it certainly adds up over the years.

A big part of our decision is that we are Canadian and thus can’t get Disney Credit Card or other products that allow us to take advantage of discounts. We also wanted access to future resorts but it’s hard to place any real value on that.

I don’t knock anyone buying resale though because the savings can definitely be substantial. If the discounts provided no real benefit then resale would be the way to go.

Family size makes a big difference. If one buys just the minimum, then it doesn’t take very long...3 to 5 years.to make back the difference over resale.

I always ask and have never been told no at the parks or Disney Springs

The white card mentions only the perks you are entitled to, so the people giving them to you are breaking the rules because they are supposed to be saying no.

Not all white card holders are so lucky and have been turned down. I get it...if you ask, even though you know you aren’t supposed to get them...and they give them, that is on them..

But, you are really the exception if you have never been turned down.

Last edited:
Family size makes a big difference. If one buys just the minimum, then it doesn’t take very long...3 to 5 years.to make back the difference over resale.
Absolutely, which is why I said it depends on utilization rate. If you're an every-other-year family of 2, and can't space to get two trips on an AP, and only buy an AP every 3-5 years for 2 people, the payback window is prohibitive.

There is not really a one-size-fits-most answer.

That said, it is hard to dispute that the single most significant discount is that on APs, and the present vs. future value on merch/dining is a really nasty equation to make work in any way save emotionally.

Aside from going to Universal we never leave the parks we eat at all the on property restaurants and we buy merchandise which over a long period of time I would think there is a savings.
No, I won't do the math I am sure there are many others here who will do it for me but it would add up.

I would like to add had I bought direct BC/BWV and sold it for a profit, no doubt many did, then added in the total savings of AP discounts and merchandise discounts well would I be a lottery winner? So does buying direct pay ask some of the lottery winners there are quite a few. 😉
Don't forget, most of the DVC discounts can be gotten with 1 annual pass. I believe the merchandise discounts are the same at 20%. Dining discounts are usually the same, but sometimes (rarely DVC is more). To say that the Blue card is worth it for dining and merch discounts is a stretch. All you need is 1 AP in the group.

A family of 4 - buying gold APs is going to save around 2000 a year, thats pretty much the only savings worth doing the math on. Once you buy those you have almost all the discounts a DVC member has, blue card or not.

Don't forget, most of the DVC discounts can be gotten with 1 annual pass. I believe the merchandise discounts are the same at 20%. Dining discounts are usually the same, but sometimes (rarely DVC is more). To say that the Blue card is worth it for dining and merch discounts is a stretch. All you need is 1 AP in the group.

A family of 4 - buying gold APs is going to save around 2000 a year, thats pretty much the only savings worth doing the math on. Once you buy those you have almost all the discounts a DVC member has, blue card or not.

It's also worth noting that the gold pass is more restrictive than the platinum one. It is $200 per person cheaper for DVC members, and we can also get the platinum one for a discount, but we cannot visit around Easter or over winter break if we get the gold. It is an analysis my wife and I are dealing with right now - is it worth the extra cost per person to visit over winter break? This is something that non-discounted buyers don't have to consider.

It's also worth noting that the gold pass is more restrictive than the platinum one. It is $200 per person cheaper for DVC members, and we can also get the platinum one for a discount, but we cannot visit around Easter or over winter break if we get the gold. It is an analysis my wife and I are dealing with right now - is it worth the extra cost per person to visit over winter break? This is something that non-discounted buyers don't have to consider.

True, People have mentioned that they were able to buy a park ticket for the black out days and then upgrade it at the end of that trip after the black out days to the Gold AP. It was backdated you first day the tickets were used, but it is a work around if one starts a trip during a black out period

And the last point - at any time Disney can pull any of the perks - they aren't contractual. So you could buy for the AP discount this year, only to discover next year a much smaller discount, or none at all on APs. They could go back to the hopper discount they had in the early 2000s. Or no park pass discount at all. You could believe you'll make it up in merchandise discounts and food - and see those disappear as well (Food discounts have not been good for much of our two decades of ownership). They could tier the discounts so you need to own a new DVC resort to get the big discounts - those of us with older resorts could be left in the cold.

Where did you hear this? I have resale and have gotten discounts at restaurants and merchandise. When they ask I show them a screen shot of my membership card(White one)

When did you buy? Resale before 4/4/2016 are eligible.

I once saw a cm in the Boardwalk store give someone a hard time because she had the older blue card, the one without an expiration date. She would not give her the discount.

When did you buy? Resale before 4/4/2016 are eligible.

I once saw a cm in the Boardwalk store give someone a hard time because she had the older blue card, the one without an expiration date. She would not give her the discount.
That is why they changed to Blue cards with expiration dates. To keep former members from using the old Blue Card to get discounts when they weren't entitled to them any more. If you want a discount, you use the new card with the expiration date on it.

True, People have mentioned that they were able to buy a park ticket for the black out days and then upgrade it at the end of that trip after the black out days to the Gold AP. It was backdated you first day the tickets were used, but it is a work around if one starts a trip during a black out period
I wouldn’t doubt Disney closes this loophole at some point.

I wouldn’t doubt Disney closes this loophole at some point.

While that is possible, it would also involve them saying "no, you may not pay us more money as you are leaving the park." That would also be a guarantee that they are coming back to the park at least once more, too, and not during their busiest period. They were already there during the busy period, so I bet Disney knows what they are doing in secretly allowing this loophole.

While that is possible, it would also involve them saying "no, you may not pay us more money as you are leaving the park." That would also be a guarantee that they are coming back to the park at least once more, too, and not during their busiest period. They were already there during the busy period, so I bet Disney knows what they are doing in secretly allowing this loophole.

I am going to say they haven’t closed it yet because it’s not yet been exploited enough to close it. If they didn’t care about it, they could just easily eliminate the black out periods for the Gold pass.

I am going to say they haven’t closed it yet because it’s not yet been exploited enough to close it. If they didn’t care about it, they could just easily eliminate the black out periods for the Gold pass.

I think they care very much about keeping crowds as low as possible during that period, though. But in closing a loophole that very few people take advantage of, they would also shut out people who would upgrade unplanned. And if they were to close it, they may encourage people to only visit during the blackout period, and not upgrade to a pass when they had been planning to. That wouldn't help them as the parks would still be squeezed during a high period, but they would then miss out on the business from that return visit or visits.

I think they care very much about keeping crowds as low as possible during that period, though. But in closing a loophole that very few people take advantage of, they would also shut out people who would upgrade unplanned. And if they were to close it, they may encourage people to only visit during the blackout period, and not upgrade to a pass when they had been planning to. That wouldn't help them as the parks would still be squeezed during a high period, but they would then miss out on the business from that return visit or visits.

You are talking about DVC members who aren’t upgrading to an AP simply because they decided after visiting, They had every intention to buy the AP and are finding a way around having to buy the platinum.

So, if the loophole is closed, they would be forced to decide to upgrade those tickets to the platinum pass or not upgrade. But I’d they don’t upgrade, then the money they spent on those tickets would go to waste since most likely, they buy APs because they visit enough to make it worth it.

Do not underestimate Disney in terms of making sure that loopholes are closed. IMO, the reason for the black out dates may be to reduce DVC member attendance during those peak times.

The deal for APs is a deal through Disney Parks, that is negotiated for DVC members, If they weren’t concerned about how much they make off tickets, they would have never changed to charging based on when one visits.

You are talking about DVC members who aren’t upgrading to an AP simply because they decided after visiting, They had every intention to buy the AP and are finding a way around having to buy the platinum.

So, if the loophole is closed, they would be forced to decide to upgrade those tickets to the platinum pass or not upgrade. But I’d they don’t upgrade, then the money they spent on those tickets would go to waste since most likely, they buy APs because they visit enough to make it worth it.

Do not underestimate Disney in terms of making sure that loopholes are closed. IMO, the reason for the black out dates may be to reduce DVC member attendance during those peak times.

The deal for APs is a deal through Disney Parks, that is negotiated for DVC members, If they weren’t concerned about how much they make off tickets, they would have never changed to charging based on when one visits.

I'm sure you are correct in that Disney did not intend for this loophole to exist. And you are almost certainly correct that they will most likely close it. I just find it interesting that both Disney and Universal have it, and worked through hypothetical situations where it could actually be to their benefit to allow it.
We obviously have no control over whether it will be closed or not, and their price difference between gold and platinum passes works to keep me out of the parks during their busiest times, as I run my AP cycles from summer to summer anyway. That loophole takes a lot of careful planning, and a little bit of risk that it may not work, in order to be taken advantage of. I would be curious to see how many people (it can only be blue card DVC members or Florida residents) actually take advantage of it compared to how many people bridge a 5-7 day visit into an annual pass purchase in a "legitimate" way.

Rarely is it good practice to deny people the opportunity of wanting to spend more money on your company.

Rarely is it good practice to deny people the opportunity of wanting to spend more money on your company.
Rarely. But this is one of those cases in my opinion. You are getting something you are not paying for, yet others who are unaware of the loophole are paying dearly.

Not very much a loophole. It's an upsell like anything else. You buy something. Like the product. Want more. Annual pass is the upsell. Same if you got 1 park for MK then suddenly said, hey I want to hop over to AK because I heard FOP is the bomb and wait times are 30min right now! --- Upsell the park hopper. Or hey, it's January and a heat wave hit and its 90s degrees! I want to add Typhoon Lagoon - upsell opportunity.

As a consumer, one may look at it as a loophole in getting at a time where one other isn't, but to Disney the company -- it's an upsell. As a business person, I would not allow my people to decline an opportunity for an upsell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter