Line jumpers / cutters >:-(

Why do people get so upset about line jumping? Simple: It's just plain rude. There's no possible way the people doing it can be unaware of how their action will be viewed. It shows a complete disregard for even the most basic level of courteous behavior. And it shows that they expect you and everyone else to conform to the rules of civilized behavior by not kicking their sorry <bleeps> and knocking out a few teeth.

It's one thing if you're talking about people from another culture who may not understand local mores and taboos but what culture doesn't know how to queue? The fact that some people can't be bothered with the most basic rules of courtesy is what makes it particularly gear-grinding.

As far as the 60,000 cameras go: 1) That has to be a BS number. That would be more than one camera per guest. 2) What good are the cameras if they aren't monitoring them or refuse to take action when they see people line-jumping, smoking, littering, etc.?

Is line jumping common at Disneyland? Absolutely. Just pay attention and you'll see it's rare to stand in a line of 30 minutes or more without seeing at least one person "catching up to their party". While a large, obnoxious groups of cutters are rare, one or two people is quite common.

Only once have I seen a group get pulled out of line. That was on Space Mountain. The fact that the people in line started chanting "Throw them out!" speaks volumes. Not kidding or exaggerating. People freakin' HATE line jumpers.

I wish Disney would assign CMs to keep a better eye on the tail end of the lines. Just watch for someone trying to "catch up" and politely explain to them that cutting in line is not allowed. That's all it should take. If the guests ignore the CM and cut anyway, the CM can call security and let them handle it. I think Matterhorn is the only fully open line that's mostly out of sight of CMs, food stands, and such but surely, it's covered by a few of the "60,000" cameras.

If people don't get upset, and don't talk about it or tell CM's, then sooner or later people will think it's just accepted behavior. So while we may want to shrug it off and enjoy our day, occasionally it is a good thing for everyone if we do stand up and get people to acknowledge that some things are just bad behavior. It's too bad CM's can't really do much, but imagine being falsely accused? So I understand why they can't do too much.

really? i will stand up for myself and those around me if someone tries to act like their time/trip is more important than mine! i will let a cm know if this happens around me. why should i have to wait longer b/c someone thinks they are above the rest of us? i WILL/DO mind myself and my family right up until someone messes with myself and my family, thankyouverymuch! they are like bullies.....and i will not let my dd think this is ok to do....or for it to be done to her, and let some jerk "push" her/or others around! i have dealt with this before at the world....and im very nice at first..."excuse me, the end of the line is back there"....if they continue...well, then i will also continue! my dh hates this, and wishes i would just be quiet and let it go....sorry, just not in my nature.

AMEN!

I hate line cutters. It just goes to the self-important and entitlement attitudes so prevalent in the world today. Why is the line cutters vacation experience and time to much more important than mine? What makes them so much more important than everyone else? I'll be damned if I sit there and let them push their way in front of everyone else.

I dislike line cutters :( Me and my friend accidently got in front of this woman and her daughter yesterday on Space Mountain because they had stopped to pick something up or something, and we just kept walking but once they caught up to us i told them to get in front of us since that was their original spot. turns out they got to ride in front! but i would have felt guilty the whole time if i had taken their spot.
some people just dont have a conscious i guess.
my friend and i went on Screamin and used the single rider line and some guy thought my friend had cut! she explained to him the single rider thing but he just kept giving her weird looks! oh well...

so anyways those were my line cutting stories! I dont think i have ever experienced anyone cutting purposely at DL before. but its cool that you were trying to help the people who were the cuttees .... ? did i phrase that right? :confused3:laughing:

AMEN!

I hate line cutters. It just goes to the self-important and entitlement attitudes so prevalent in the world today. Why is the line cutters vacation experience and time to much more important than mine? What makes them so much more important than everyone else? I'll be damned if I sit there and let them push their way in front of everyone else.

Agreed..it isn't the actual idea that I have to wait a few minutes longer, it is the fact that cutters think they are better than everyone else and their fun time is so much more important than yours. It shows a total lack of respect for others, that probably translates into other areas. You will most likely not see someone who is a model citizen except when they are in line. The childish ones are not the ones who dislike this behavior, the childish ones are the ones who feel it is their right to be better than all those people waiting patiently in line.
My friend, who is a huge Disney fan, constantly holds up Cedar Point as the best park for guest treatment. A big part of this is firm signage about line cutting and how cutters will be dealt with. People know the rules there and know the consequenses, so follow what is required. It's unfortunate that forcing people to use common courtesy is needed, but it plainly is.

I agree that everyone has a different tolerance level, and what's important to one person may not be as important to another person.

I really have to commend all the people who feel so strongly about any issue and actually take the time to pursue it, while at DLR or elsewhere - whatever anyone's given 'cause' is, it's good to have conviction and be passionate about it. So I don't take that away from anyone. I'm glad you guys are out there fighting the good fight.

For me, personally? No, I wouldn't let the line cutters get to me this much. I wish that people did not do this, but it's not a cause I am going to interrupt my day for. Again, this is just my own choice. Yes, the cutters are totally obnoxious and have a sense of entitlement. Yes, they feel that since they paid XXX dollars, their time is more important than yours or mine. Yes, I have had people cut right in front of me - in fact, I can think of one episode at the TOTP in 2008, where a group of people just stepped right in front of my friend and me in the line for candy!! And I grumbled for a minute, then let it go and forgot about them.

Here's what I will do - if someone cuts in front, I will glare at them. I will curse at them under my breath. If I have a way of standing to where I can block them from passing me, I will probably do it if I can tell they are not joining anyone in the line ahead of me. I am not opposed to just casually shifting my stance so that they cannot pass - but I may not be sure if they are joining a group up ahead or not, so I may just let them go by.

BUT, all of that said, if the annoying cutters get by...unless they have physically harmed me or my group in some way (hint hint, stroller ninjas!)....unless they have actually prevented us from getting on the ride/getting in the restaurant/buying an item at the register....unless they have actually somehow prevented me from having the experience I am trying to have at DLR with their behavior (which happened one time when I was trying to get a PhotoPass picture done at the Partners statue), then I will let it go after they get by me. I'm not going to go to City Hall about it. I'm not going to try to whip out my camera to catch them in the act after they have already passed. I'm just not - but that's me.

I even had a woman back up, step on my feet and cause me to spill my pineapple juice all over me one time, while waiting for the Tiki Room. She vowed to get me another cup of juice...and then promptly ran away with her friends and never fulfilled that promise, while I tried to dry the juice from my clothes. Yes, it was an awful thing to do, and yes, I glared and cursed at her as I saw her walking off with her group...but I let it go.

I guess, at the end of the day, it's an annoyance and it's too bad that we all have to deal with those rude people, but it's not a big enough deal to me to carry with me for the rest of my day and pursue, unless, as I said, they actually injure me or prevent me from doing something I'm trying to do.

We didn't notice too many line cutters this year, it was much more prevalent in 2006 so its not a worsening issue.

I refused to let people go past me in certain queues, namely PP, Mattahorn (under cover) and TSM. These rides are the most popular that don't have FP and so are the most commonly targetted by cutters. These also have narrow lines so when I see someone coming up through the queue I turn to face them, usually thats enough for the ones who are not catching someone up. If its a parent and young child then I let them past without question, anyone else I ask where they are going and listen to the whole "we are catching up to.....", I then tell them the queue is too narrow and they are not supposed to push through as its dangerous but their friends can stop and wait for them. This usually involves a lot of yelling over the queue to the others in their party and the forward party usually agrees to wait at the ride exit or waits to let the other party catch up. I have never had even a dirty look for this... It doesn't spoil my day at all, infact I have often ended up talking to the people as we wait for the ride, as I am from NZ with an unusual accent a lot of people like to know where I am from... That may be why my policy works so well, people are probably caught a little offguard by the accent....

That may be why my policy works so well, people are probably caught a little offguard by the accent....

I may be using my husbands SA accent to help us remind people of the rules, of course it also helps that he doesn't get "pissy" like I do.... yep, no hiding it, Im a terrible liar and if someone irks me I have a very, very hard time not showing it :rolleyes1

But now I would like to take this moment to offer a confession. In 1999 I was a dumb teenager who didn't want to wait in line to get my pic taken with Tigger, so I just ran up beside him and my brother took a photo of me. Sorry to the family that was taking the photo and sorry to all the people who DID wait patiently. I think my punishment for that indiscretion has been the fact that I have not been able to go back for the past 11 years..... an 11 year "time-out" :thumbsup2 I think I've paid my dues :goodvibes Oh, and I promise never to do it again and to teach my daughter never to do it :)

...I was told that my last option was to raise a complaint at City Hall, which I later did. There it was explained to me again that, without a CM seeing the cutting, there was nothing that they could do -- even with two independent witnesses. Essentially it was our word against theirs. They gave me a front-of-line card, which made me feel a little better. However, I really do think that DL should be more vigilant about such behavior. It's really upsetting and counter to the whole Disney experience.

The CM at City Hall -- who was very nice and professional, of course -- also told me that they have 60,000 cameras around the park for guests' security. That number sounds high to me. I suspect that he meant that there are cameras giving them views of 60,000 angles. He said that there is no part of the park that they can't see. They can follow -- and listen to -- anyone throughout the entire park. Interesting.

In any case, I thought this would be useful to other board members. If you see someone cut, record it on your camera and show it to a CM, perhaps try to deal with it yourself or know that there's little to nothing that a CM can do to help. FYI.

..Umm yeah your preaching to the choir here wonkakid. Us disboard members have been through the line cutting charade many, many times! It does bother us, but sometimes you will encounter rude and thoughtless people at the happiest place on earth—it just happens! Everyone deals with it a different way. And if you got made over 2 people cutting I want to see how you do when its’ a whole family of 5! It really doesn’t help to complain to City hall at Disneyland, why? Umm well I am sure they hear the same complaint over and over and over again and city hall is right with you a witness you have no case to your line cutting complaint. I don’t understand why you got so mad. We have a pet peeve thread in the Disneyland community board, you should go read what pet peeves we have posted there, this would fit perfectly there!

It really doesn’t help to complain to City hall at Disneyland, why? Umm well I am sure they hear the same complaint over and over and over again and city hall is right with you a witness you have no case to your line cutting complaint.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree that complaining at City Hall doesn't help. It won't let you go back in time and get those particular people pulled out of line but complaints add up over time. If nobody ever complains, Disney will not be aware of the problem. The more people complain, the more important the issue will be. If they go from a dozen line-jumping complaints a day to a hundred a day in a short period of time, they're far more likely to take action than if the number of complaints remains constant.

There's no guarantee that action will be taken but a small chance is better than no chance any way you slice it.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree that complaining at City Hall doesn't help. ... If nobody ever complains, Disney will not be aware of the problem. The more people complain, the more important the issue will be. If they go from a dozen line-jumping complaints a day to a hundred a day in a short period of time, they're far more likely to take action than if the number of complaints remains constant.

There's no guarantee that action will be taken but a small chance is better than no chance any way you slice it.

My feelings exactly. And if nothing else, it made me feel better that I was heard and that my complaint was taken seriously. Perhaps it will lead to CMs being more mindful of line jumpers. Perhaps not, but at least I tried.

..well i have seen line jumpers, i have complained to city hall an cm's and i don't think it did much difference as i still see it going on.. what really busts my balloon is when a family of 5 joins up with one family member that has been standing in line for a while.. now to me that is line cutting.. it's either you wait with your group or you don't ride!

just like sherry stated. its annoying.. but what can you do ? (thats not a question)

..well i have seen line jumpers, i have complained to city hall an cm's and i don't think it did much difference as i still see it going on.. what really busts my balloon is when a family of 5 joins up with one family member that has been standing in line for a while.. now to me that is line cutting.. it's either you wait with your group or you don't ride!

just like sherry stated. its annoying.. but what can you do ? (thats not a question)

I'm was kinda guilty of this when I was in high school. On a band trip we would wander the park in packs (not abreast, we didn't take up the entire road). A couple of us would wait in line while the rest did a food run/bathroom run and trade places so those waiting in line could use the facilities. If our friends waiting in line didn't need to "go" but were hungry, we would bring them back something. I do remember being asked where we were going when trying to meet up with our friends (politley) and I called my friends name and did the wave thing so the guy new I wasn't lying. He did let me by.

I believe that for most they don't see that as cutting, it has probably happened to them while they have been in a line and so they think "if its ok for others it must be ok for me".... I don't let them past and explain it is against the rules and never had anyone complain... I had one lady give me a dirty look and rattle something off in spanish but they complied and thats the only one, in the last three visits I must have stopped 20 or so cutters..

Like correcting any animal, humans need correction at the time of the wrong doing... Complaining to city hall may make you feel better but will achieve little.

I've never seen anyone cut in line at DL. I don't get it on POTC. That's one of the fastest moving lines in DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter