Line most similar to DCL

I’m curious what other cruise line do you feel like is the most similar to DCL?

Things I particularly like about DCL, and would love to find in another line-
Turn down service
Good theater shows
Amazing service
Limited up charges

My son will be 18 in a year and it might be time then to branch out. So what line do you feel is the most similar to DCL?
Theatre shows - Royal. Production and sightlines are on point. But you'll never convince me to watch Cats.
Amazing service - I had great service on Princess although I know others did not.
Limited up charges - Princess, probably. They have their Princess Package which is great value if you drink a bit, like lattes, and wifi. If you have that, you pretty much don't need to purchase anything else.

I honestly found Royal to have the most upcharges from any line I've done recently. Everything was an additional cost, while the cruise fare wasn't half-bad. Beverage packages extra and at an exorbitant price. Specialty dining had cover charge prices fluctuating after booking? Internet extra. CocoCay cabana was more than twice the cost of our cabana on Great Stirrup Cay.

Because of the way the promo is set up, NCL ended up having the least need to spend extra onboard. I also barely made it thru Virgin's $300 bar tab that was included.

I honestly found Royal to have the most upcharges from any line I've done recently. Everything was an additional cost, while the cruise fare wasn't half-bad. Beverage packages extra and at an exorbitant price. Specialty dining had cover charge prices fluctuating after booking? Internet extra. CocoCay cabana was more than twice the cost of our cabana on Great Stirrup Cay.

Because of the way the promo is set up, NCL ended up having the least need to spend extra onboard. I also barely made it thru Virgin's $300 bar tab that was included.
Pretty sure beverage package is extra on most mainstream cruise lines. We don’t drink alcohol so definitely wouldn’t want to pay for that if it was included in the cruise fare. I believe only thing Disney pays is soda which is extra on other lines but it’s inherently factored into their fare. Not saying or trying to compare one line vs the other just clarifying that most lines don’t include alcohol maybe Virgin, Oceania, Cunard etc higher end cruise lines do not sure on that.

This comment is echoed perpetually in this fourm, but what is "everything" that has "an additional cost" on Royal, that's included in the cruise fare on Disney? I can think of only soda and room service -- although a continental breakfast (like Disney) is included (and the fee-for-service selection is much larger). Everything else that has an upcharge... either has an upcharge on Disney, or does not exist as an option on Disney.

This comment is echoed perpetually in this fourm, but what is "everything" that has "an additional cost" on Royal, that's included in the cruise fare on Disney? I can think of only soda and room service -- although a continental breakfast (like Disney) is included (and the fee-for-service selection is much larger). Everything else that has an upcharge... either has an upcharge on Disney, or does not exist as an option on Disney.
I have heard are not included or you have to deal with it that are a bit more of a headache-

Do you have to reserve spots for theater shows (vs arriving 30 mins ahead)?

Is it true that you have to check in and check out towels for the pool? And if you forget to check them back in, there’s a good sized fee? (I’m not talking about stealing them. I’m talking about just forgetting them in your stateroom)

I like having a set dining time with the same servers is that possible on another cruise line? I think it would just be in the main restaurant, right? (Which is fine just checking).

Do the menus stay the same in the main dining restaurant or do they change throughout the cruise? Or do they have a part that always stays the same like DCL’s lighter fare?

If you purchase a soda package is there a way to get a soda where if you don’t have your cup with you?

So maybe I guess it’s less what’s included and more I just don’t know how things work on other lines…

Also, I really like turndown service as somebody who family uses the fold out bed. I don’t want it to be in bed set up the entire cruise if possible.

I have heard are not included or you have to deal with it that are a bit more of a headache-

Is it true that you have to check in and check out towels for the pool? And if you forget to check them back in, there’s a good sized fee? (I’m not talking about stealing them. I’m talking about just forgetting them in your stateroom)

I like having a set dining time with the same servers is that possible on another cruise line? I think it would just be in the main restaurant, right? (Which is fine just checking).

Do the menus stay the same in the main dining restaurant or do they change throughout the cruise? Or do they have a part that always stays the same like DCL’s lighter fare?

If you purchase a soda package is there a way to get a soda where if you don’t have your cup with you?

So maybe I guess it’s less what’s included and more I just don’t know how things work on other lines…

Also, I really like turndown service as somebody who family uses the fold out bed. I don’t want it to be in bed set up the entire cruise if possible.
Yes, but that gives me the option to pick which night I prefer to see the show, I'm not locked into it only being available on one evening.

Yes, you check them in and out. While some don't like this, I personally do. It prevents people from just leaving towels lying all over the chairs when they leave, making it look like someone is actually using the chair when they are not. If you have to take the towel with you then that opens chairs when not in use. Never had an issue with being charged for towels when I turned them back in.

You can pick a set time and you will have the same table, the same servers every night. You can also pick 'My Time Dining' and not be locked into a set time which many people, including myself, like. Show up when you are ready. The first RCCL cruise we did we chose My Time Dining and still had the same table and same servers every night. They also offer a buffet every night that is quite extensive. We like to use that when we don't feel like spending an hour to eat.

I can only speak about RCCL so my answer will be for their menu. They have items that are the same every night however they also add things that they change out each day as well. Best of both worlds.

Yes, you can go to any bar or dining space and get a soda without the cup. The cup is great if you want to use the freestyle dispensers that have all the options, something DCL does not have, but you don't need it to get a drink. Your seapass card is all you need to show.

This I don't have an answer to but I'm sure you could talk with the room host and it would be done. They do try and please, just as CMs on DCL do. Their lively hood depends on tips as well. The more they please you, the better you will take care of them.

Hope this helps answer a few of your questions.

We just returned from Harmony of the seas and this was one of my big issues. I had a 7 and 2 year old. 7 year old slept on the couch bed and 2 year old in the pack n play. Our room steward fixed the couch bed up the first night and then never touched it again aside from making it. So we had to have it made as a bed the whole trip. I’ve seen reports of people saying their room steward would put it away and make it back up in the evening despite only once a day service but ours would not.
I can only speak about RCCL so my answer will be for their menu. They have items that are the same every night however they also add things that they change out each day as well. Best of both worlds.
They no longer have the classics section of the menu that has the same things each night. Now they have a themed menu each night. In general we were very disappointed with the MDR on Royal.

We just returned from Harmony of the seas and this was one of my big issues. I had a 7 and 2 year old. 7 year old slept on the couch bed and 2 year old in the pack n play. Our room steward fixed the couch bed up the first night and then never touched it again aside from making it. So we had to have it made as a bed the whole trip. I’ve seen reports of people saying their room steward would put it away and make it back up in the evening despite only once a day service but ours would not.

They no longer have the classics section of the menu that has the same things each night. Now they have a themed menu each night. In general we were very disappointed with the MDR on Royal.
Did you ask the room steward and they said no? I'm actually surprised. I have also read reports of people saying it's been done. Odd, but I wouldn't count it out for next time. Sounds like this steward just didn't care.
As for the dining room, that is good to know. We haven't sailed RCCL in almost 18 months, for different reasons it has been DCL over that period, so it must be a fairly new change. I liked having familiar options but it is what it is. No different from DCL I suppose. We enjoy the buffet so I'll just check the weeks menus and work from there. Thanks for posting this.

I've said this on a different thread but I really think that people that get annoyed by the upcharges on Royal are more annoyed by how aggressive the push can be (esp on Day 1) versus the actual upcharge. I've been on Royal enough that I can filter out/avoid all of that noise, but will a first-time Royal cruiser be so lenient?

Did you ask the room steward and they said no? I'm actually surprised. I have also read reports of people saying it's been done. Odd, but I wouldn't count it out for next time. Sounds like this steward just didn't care.
As for the dining room, that is good to know. We haven't sailed RCCL in almost 18 months, for different reasons it has been DCL over that period, so it must be a fairly new change. I liked having familiar options but it is what it is. No different from DCL I suppose. We enjoy the buffet so I'll just check the weeks menus and work from there. Thanks for posting this.
We did ask and he said no that they only offer once a day. It wasn’t a huge deal but it is annoying as Royal is making a push at being “family friendly” but they lack in areas like this. My only real “complaints” were this and the service in general lacks compared to Disney but not enough to continue paying 3x for disney every time we want to cruise. The MDR being disappointing didn’t really affect us too much as I find cruise food to be banquet quality on every line. I just really hated the my time dining when traveling with small kiddos. But we booked super last minute so I don’t fault Royal for traditional dining being full.

We did ask and he said no that they only offer once a day. It wasn’t a huge deal but it is annoying as Royal is making a push at being “family friendly” but they lack in areas like this. My only real “complaints” were this and the service in general lacks compared to Disney but not enough to continue paying 3x for disney every time we want to cruise. The MDR being disappointing didn’t really affect us too much as I find cruise food to be banquet quality on every line. I just really hated the my time dining when traveling with small kiddos. But we booked super last minute so I don’t fault Royal for traditional dining being full.
This is surprising, sorry to say but seems like you got a bad steward. The ones that are good will come back in the evening and make the sofa bed, pull down etc.

With small kids we actually love the buffet, my kids dont sit through a 1.5 hour full course meal, so having the food all ready and being done in 20-30 mins is actually a blessing. That is one of the things we don't like about Disney is they don't run the buffet at night, so if you dont eat in the MDR you get no dinner (except room svc). With young kids you just never know how the day will go.

We love Celebrity!

They definitely don't have as much for children - but we don't have children so they fit the bill the best us when we're looking for non-DCL. Virtually no "upcharging" other than the standard drink packages, wifi, spa treatments etc. Service is INCREDIBLE in our experience. Their shows aren't my favorite, but they're enjoyable. We've only sailed on the Edge class (their newest) but they're beautiful ships.

Yes, but that gives me the option to pick which night I prefer to see the show, I'm not locked into it only being available on one evening.

I'm adding: the majority of RCL cruises do not require reservations; only the Oasis, Quantum and Icon Class do. Only select shows, sometimes just one, on those ships require reservations.

Yes, you check them in and out. While some don't like this, I personally do. It prevents people from just leaving towels lying all over the chairs when they leave, making it look like someone is actually using the chair when they are not. If you have to take the towel with you then that opens chairs when not in use. Never had an issue with being charged for towels when I turned them back in.

I'm adding: a lot of premium hotels, including many AIs, have adapted this practice in the past decade. While I'm not a fan of it, it's not that big of a deal. And you'll receive a notice in your room before Royal levies charges... so you can either return the towels or let guest relations know that you previously returned them / they were removed from your lounger / etc. The ONLY cruise line I've ever been charged for towels was Disney... without any warning the charges hit my credit card and I was unable to argue them (these were for room towels obviously but no way I kept those dingy, worn out towels).

I'm adding: the menu now changes daily but if you want a simple, light dish -- say chicken, steak, etc. -- that's not on the menu, they'll be happen to make it for you.

This I don't have an answer to but I'm sure you could talk with the room host and it would be done. They do try and please, just as CMs on DCL do. Their lively hood depends on tips as well. The more they please you, the better you will take care of them.

I'm adding: they now perform housekeeping service once daily, either before 2PM or after 6PM. However, on my cruises, they've pushed the pull down bed up in the morning, locked it in place, and came back to pull it down in the evening. So not a full housekeeping service but they'll take care of you if you ask. If they refuse, you can contact guest relations (never been a problem for us).

While I'm not a fan of it, it's not that big of a deal. And you'll receive a notice in your room before Royal levies charges... so you can either return the towels or let guest relations know that you previously returned them / they were removed from your lounger / etc.
I agree, it's kind of stupid. But at the end of the day the minute or so it takes to wait in line, ask for the towels and get your card scanned isn't something people get too worked up over.

OTOH, when people get incorrectly charged for the towels...

Norwegian is good - MDR isn't out of this world but also never had a bad meal. Entertainment was great, but I'm not too picky on theater shows anyway. Staterooms are small but serviceable, especially if you're like me and don't spend hours in the room anyway. Service was still very good and we were treated very well.

A lot of the other cruise lines, including NCL, nickel and dime you to death. Not a huge fan of that, but it is what it is. Disney is more expensive for a reason, but if you go into Norwegian, Royal, etc. with an open mind, you can still have a great time.

Norwegian is good - MDR isn't out of this world but also never had a bad meal. Entertainment was great, but I'm not too picky on theater shows anyway. Staterooms are small but serviceable, especially if you're like me and don't spend hours in the room anyway. Service was still very good and we were treated very well.

A lot of the other cruise lines, including NCL, nickel and dime you to death. Not a huge fan of that, but it is what it is. Disney is more expensive for a reason, but if you go into Norwegian, Royal, etc. with an open mind, you can still have a great time.

It amazes me the Disney faithful keep repeating "(other cruise lines nickel and dine you to death... Disney is more expensive for a reason." I keep asking: besides soda and room service, what is included on a Disney cruise that is not included on the competition? My comments keep getting ignored, probably for good reason ;). The upcharges on other cruise lines, have the same up charges on Disney -- or don't exist as an option.

It isn't about being open minded. Every cruise line has a solid product and diehard fans who will immediately bash another cruise line they went on but didn't really want to be on (most common: the food was completely inedible). If you're a Disney fanatic, and crave every thing Disney, stick to Disney. But let's not pretend the lobster on Disney is worlds better than on Royal (and the MDR lobster on Disney has typically been Caribbean lobster, whereas Royal uses Maine anyway).

It amazes me the Disney faithful keep repeating "(other cruise lines nickel and dine you to death... Disney is more expensive for a reason." I keep asking: besides soda and room service, what is included on a Disney cruise that is not included on the competition? My comments keep getting ignored, probably for good reason ;). The upcharges on other cruise lines, have the same up charges on Disney -- or don't exist as an option.

It isn't about being open minded. Every cruise line has a solid product and diehard fans who will immediately bash another cruise line they went on but didn't really want to be on (most common: the food was completely inedible). If you're a Disney fanatic, and crave every thing Disney, stick to Disney. But let's not pretend the lobster on Disney is worlds better than on Royal (and the MDR lobster on Disney has typically been Caribbean lobster, whereas Royal uses Maine anyway).
I just felt like there were more small up charges on NCL than DCL. Maybe in reality it wasn't the case, but it felt that way.

Did it ruin my trip? Definitely not but was just an observation.

I like both for different reasons. There are things that both lines do really well and not so well. I typically prefer to sail DCL when/if I can, but that's not always possible so I keep an open minded about not being too cruise line loyal.

I love your response. I bought into the 'they will nickel and dime you' for years. I mean, others must know right? They must have experienced it. Finally stepped out on DCL and booked RCL. Spent the week wondering where was this nickel and diming? It didn't show up. It's just not there. Doesn't stop them from repeating this though. I really wish they wouldn't, it scares people off of trying other things. It did me anyways.
I'm so glad we did try something else, we found it every bit as good as any of our DCL cruises. They are just 'different'. No Mickey. That's all. If you HAVE to have Mickey, stay put. If Mickey isn't the end all, give something else a try. You might be surprised.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter