Lines app (paid vs. free?)

Dvmsara

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I’m super excited to be planning our first trip to WDW this October! We have 3 boys who will be 4, 7, and 9 at that time. I was just looking for others’ experiences using the Lines app from touringplans. How did it go? Also I’m specifically wondering what the difference is with the lines app if I have a paid touringplans subscription or not. Looking in the app, it appears that I can make a custom itinerary without paying anything (despite the blurb when I open the app that says I’ll only get to see a few pre-made plans). What features would I get if I pay the subscription vs. just use the free version? Thanks!

I have a TP subscription. Lines works very well and has never steered me wrong. We rarely use "plans" simply because we are crafty WDW vets. I have however used them multiple times to help friends plan their trips. I will take Lines wait times also over anything WDW has posted.
With the paid versions you get to do more customization of your plans. But as far as Lines giving you wait times and such, free is perfectly fine.

With the paid versions you get to do more customization of your plans.

See that’s what I don’t understand. I’ve played around with it and it seems to me I can make a fully customized plan; I can pick what rides I want, move them around if I want to, etc. I’m wondering what functionality I may be missing out on.

See that’s what I don’t understand. I’ve played around with it and it seems to me I can make a fully customized plan; I can pick what rides I want, move them around if I want to, etc. I’m wondering what functionality I may be missing out on.
On their site, there's a hyperlink to View the Member Benefits. That might give you some more insight.

The TP plans are a good jumping off point for someone wanting to have a general idea of what the day will look like, that's not already a vet. We've moved to doing our own thing on the side, but when we first started going we heavily laid into the plans.

I think the only benefit to membership, for us at least, is the room request tool - but who knows what difference that makes. (also not certain if the reservation finder is a perk of that as well). Touring Plans puts out some good info, so I would support them anyway.

The paid version is worth every penny if for nothing else other than the wait times. We would never do the parks without it. We have also used the restaurant reservation finder with great success. The actual touring plans we don't use.

I think Touring Plans is a good company, but there have been a lot of posts lately that their wait times and crowd predictions are very inaccurate. Not historically, just recently. People might be posting in the "Here Now Just Back" thread.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...g-experiences-including-park-hopping.3807247/

I think trying to predict crowds in midst of a pandemic would be crazy difficult. No data to rely on from previous pandemics, etc. they post stats on how they did. Pretty amazing all considered. I will support them with a paid subscription whether they offer what I need for free or not. Historically more accurate than Disney wait times.
I am a vet planner but will actually try their plans this time. So much has changed and I will NOT pay for Genie + The cost of admission is sooo expensive. The hand out for more cash to ride is so disappointing I wont support it. If that means missing a few new attractions Ill survive just fine.

Personally, I had great experience using the Lines app/paid TP subscription when I went by myself in September (and I've previously gone - numerous times). It helped me figure out how to do what I wanted. Going with kids for their (basically) first time (5 and 9), some of the info was helpful (reported wait times) but the amount I had to use the MDE app meant that I almost completely forgot to open Lines. And the itineraries (either creating my own or asking for their suggestions) were not helpful at all because my kids being new to it all, and Genie+, etc made things so hard to predict. YMMV.

It's worth the money just for the line wait times. I don't follow specific detailed touring plans but I do like to mess around with the touring plans and get ideas on expected wait times and a good order for rides.

We also subscribe just to get access to the wait times on the Lines app. So much more accurate than Disney. Totally worth the price (and we are cheapskates, lol).

We also subscribe just to get access to the wait times on the Lines app. So much more accurate than Disney. Totally worth the price (and we are cheapskates, lol).

This time around. Im going to use the Lines app, and tour strategy, room request service, and reserv. finder! There is so much that has changed since our last trip and my friend who is also a big planner wont be there. Takes a lot of stress off...haha if it works well!!

I could be wrong, since I have always had a subscription. However, I think you can do custom plans on the web and app without a subscription, but you can't look at the premade plans that they often include in the Unofficial Guide. I don't know if you get the menu search option without a subscription. That's really handy to figure out where some item is in the park, like pretzels, without having to look at multiple menus. I like it and feel the subscription is worth it.

Is anyone else getting a "you should charge for this" vibe? No? Just me? :P

Yep, you can make a fully custom plan for free, and have it updated in real time in the parks, also for free. In the end Bob (Sehlinger) and I were more concerned about people not using "paid" software, waiting in long lines, and never going back to Disney World, than we were about making enough money to run the site. And Bob led that discussion. He's been a great mentor and friend, and really cares about the long-term health of the community.

Another subscriber for years. The lines app is our go to. As is the reservation finder, if I can't initially get what we wanted. Also like the room reservation, it saves me time.
Don't use their planner.
Pre-Covid, the crowd guide seemed accurate. Since they reopened with changing rules, I don't put much faith in any of them.

I've been a subscriber for years. I use their crowd calendar to help plan my days. I've done customized touring plans, but only to use VERY loosely. I've used their room request and reservation finder features. And we always consult their Lines app when in the parks. In fact, my daughter now asks, "What does Lines say?"

While they may be a little off due to the pandemic making crowds less predictable, they are still much more accurate than what Disney says.

(Also, the Len and Jim--AND CHRISSY--podcast is fantasic!)

I've been a subscriber for years. I use their crowd calendar to help plan my days. I've done customized touring plans, but only to use VERY loosely. I've used their room request and reservation finder features. And we always consult their Lines app when in the parks. In fact, my daughter now asks, "What does Lines say?"

While they may be a little off due to the pandemic making crowds less predictable, they are still much more accurate than what Disney says.

(Also, the Len and Jim--AND CHRISSY--podcast is fantasic!)
I’m new to the Lines app and wondering how accurate the predicted attraction wait times are in the plans you can build with the free planner. For instance, on a Crowd Level 9 day during presidents week at HS, it’s telling me I can arrive at ROTR at about 3:30pm and expect a wait of only a little over an hour. I’d guess based on the MDE app that they would show a 3hr+/- wait at that time that week. I realize those Disney times may be off, but by that much? As an aside, it’s interesting to see TP’s estimates for waits as I vary my plan.

I’m new to the Lines app and wondering how accurate the predicted attraction wait times are in the plans you can build with the free planner. For instance, on a Crowd Level 9 day during presidents week at HS, it’s telling me I can arrive at ROTR at about 3:30pm and expect a wait of only a little over an hour. I’d guess based on the MDE app that they would show a 3hr+/- wait at that time that week. I realize those Disney times may be off, but by that much? As an aside, it’s interesting to see TP’s estimates for waits as I vary my plan.

I don’t know if I can answer this specifically but I can say there have been times where the lines app has showed a time that is half the disney posted wait time and the lines app is way closer to accurate. We have never actually followed a touring plan but the app is really great and we have had much better luck with it than disneys times. Our last trip was august and we thought it was great then.

I will also echo what other have said. I have subscribed for many many years. In the beginning I didn’t use any of the paid functions but subscribed solely because it was the best disney information I could find and I valued the site and felt I should support it even if I didn’t need the paid functionality. The service and information they provide is so worth paying for even if you don’t have to.

We did ILL for Rise (the only ride worth paying money to experience IMO).

That said, they constantly have team members in the park counting guests, going through actual standby lines, etc. They are always researching and updating. I trust them. And they do make adjustments to crowd predictions, etc. I set up my park days on the website and then get email notifications when anything changes for those days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter