Lions and Tigers and CGI Bears, Oh My! June '16 - COMPLETED 6/4, page 22

Sunshine Seasons - love it. We've never done lunch there, only breakfast. But we won't be doing that anymore since they stopped serving breakfast as of August 1st. Darn it. They couldn't have waited a couple weeks for our trip? Why Disney? Why?

Do lunch :)

COLORTOPIA looks awesome!

It was great! I like the interactice Innoventions exhibits. I hope they add more of them.

Looking forward to hearing about dinner at Biergarten!

Updates tonight!

You really know how to pack it in in such a short time! You got so much done before your dinner ressie!

See, we're not THAT old yet!

Those Carolina Reaper peppers. No thanks. OUr State Fair just started and one of their new items this year is Carolina Reaper popcorn. I too enjoy spicy things, but no thanks. I do like to taste what I'm eating and not have my lips burned off.

I would try the popcorn. Then later regret it.

Colortopia looks so cool! I hope it's around for a while. Namely until November of 2017, our next trip.

It should be. I think it only opened this year.

I can't stand it when parents let their kids jump in front of other people taking pictures, or waiting to take pictures at something. Manners arent' that difficult, people.

I never understood "I'm going to let my kids run around the restaurant."

Emily's re-creation picture is great! I'm glad Kristin was so adament about getting it right!

The mariachi band was a good distraction from how long all of that took :)

Oh and the SS food looks good. We didn't really enjoy it in June, not 100% sure why. I mean my parents are not adventurous eaters but that doesn't really explain why I didn't enjoy it.

Try it again! With a different order :)

Btw, currently on your 2012 TR. I took a bit of a break on it and read MEK's 2012 one, too. But now I'm back and trying to finish it up. The kids look so different from that one to this one.....

They do! I've been meaning to read those again, too. It's been a while!

hahahhaha you nailed it! I'll have to check Colortopia out on my next trip! Looks like fun!!

Your Epcot day is going great!

It continues now!

If you took note of our FastPass roster, you can see that we completely skipped over our Spaceship Earth FPs. Does anyone care? No? Good. Because neither do we.

Now, it's time for some bier! Und musik! Und brats! Und more bier! Well, maybe not more bier, because a liter is A LOT of beer already. Even if I have been intentionally avoiding beer all afternoon to make a liter or beer seem like less than it really is.

We check in to the restaurant. While the kids and I wait, Kristin goes inside to hit the restroom. Which, as everyone knows, is an almost foolproof trick to get seated early.

As expected, we get buzzed (bleeper buzzed, not beer buzzed), and Kristin's nowhere to be found. Just like clockwork. We take our seats, eyes on the back to see if we could spot Kristin. Nope. No dice. Where is she?

We're seated front row center, which is perfect! Our host asks us to take the seats at the far end of the table, and we do. Our waiter arrives soon after and informs us that those seats are already taken. Ok, just tell us where we should sit. We're not picky! The final seating arrangement has us on the other end of the same table, which makes no difference to me. In fact, that will just make it easier for me to make my 17 trips to the buffet. Oops, I forgot I'm eating more healthy now. So 15 trips to the buffet. BUT NO MORE.

I don't know how, but we somehow missed Kristin exiting the restroom. She did put two and two together, though, and came back into the restaurant when she didn't see us waiting outside.

Our tablemates return from the buffet, and it's too couples who appear to be older than us, but not much older. They seem nice enough, but we sort of kept to our own conversations. No biggie. We do cross-prost, though, so it's not a complete segregation.

And what did I prost with? This:

Warsteiner Dunkel. I love the Schoffenhofer Grapefruit, but that's more of an outside-walking-around-in-95-degree-heat beer for me. Plus, I love me some dark beer. And "dunkel" means "dark". This concludes the lesson for all of those who don't know a little German...even the one sitting over there.

If you didn't get the last joke, go rent "Top Secret". Or just whine that it's not available at your local video store or for streaming on Netflix, like I do. Or read one of my four previous Trip Reports.

I really do want to see that movie again, and think the kids would find it funny.

We get our food, and here's what it looks like:

I go heavy on the brats, dumplings, and red cabbage (the latter not on the plate above, though). The kids keep it limited to mostly bread. Ok. One great thing about the Disney Dining Plan is you can easily close your eyes to the fact that you're paying a lot of money for the kids to eat bread.

There were a lot more options than I showed, but those are the important ones. Plus, the food's really secondary (or tertiary, if we don't count beer as food) for why we come here:

It's showtime! I love these guys. In fact, I love a lot of polka. I illegally copied Frankie Yankovic's (Weird Al's dad) "Polka Favorites" album from the library and listen to it often. I also have two CDs from the Epcot Biergarten band, Oktoberfest Musikanten. Or Martin Gross and the Sonneshein Express. Whatever they're billing themselves as these days.

Kristin asks Emily if she wants to dance. Emily declines. That's odd, since Emily LOVES dancing. But not THAT odd, since she doesn't really like dancing when we want her to dance. I step up in her place, and out we go.

The two of us dance together like we do most things together - she wants me to lead, then decides that my leading is insufficient, so she takes over. We do successfully avoid bowling over any of the children out on the dance floor, whose idea of "dancing" is apparently running around trying to lure adults into accidnetally bowling them over. But we don't bowl them over. TALENT.

Back to the table, and it's time for dessert. For Kristin and the kids, at least.

I don't know what any of that is. It's all good, though. Like most Disney buffet desserts.

I opted for more brats, dumplings, and red cabbage for dessert, though that probably doesn't count. I wish the band played longer (didn't they used to play longer?), but I guess you can't work them to death and expect them to still be "on" for their performances.

That's ok. We can find others ways to entertain ourselves. Such as "camera phone":

As I said before, THIS is the pose:

Emily photobombs the next one, turning it into my favorite photo of the entire trip:

Alright, done. We settle up with the waiter, and then it's back out to World Showcase!

Or, at least until we can walk through World Showcase to get back to Futureworld. We have FPs for Soarin' (NEW Soarin'!), and we wouldn't want to...ok, you know the joke. Because I already make it five times.

But first, some Germany photos!

On our way through Norway, we notice the Anna and Elsa meet-and-greet is open! Didn't expect that. I bet the wait times are OUTRAGEOUS.

Huh? That's can't be right. Let's look again.

Really? I don't buy it. But the CM manning (or, in this case, young Norwegian womanning) the entrance insists it's correct, so in we go!

We had fully expected to miss this M&G on this trip, expecting OUTRAGEOUS wait times. But the wait time is not OUTRAGEOUS, or even lowercase outrageous, so here we are! Dylan's not happy about it, but too bad. In we go!

Love the theming in here! Of course, we can't take too many pictures of JUST the theming. So this:

And this:

And, of course, this:

Enough of that. More theming!

In fact, so much theming, we had to go to a new post!

This is Anna's doll from Frozen Fever or Frozen or something. I apparently didn't pay that much attention to either, though I've seen Frozen at least 6 times:

Homage! Nice!

More theming!

I don't know whose blood the dog above is drinking, and I really don't think I want to know.

More Emily!

Even more theming!

I came up with some absurd story about the significance of the violins in regard to the attraction, but I don't think anyone believed me. So it's not even worth repeating. Besides, I forget what it was, anyway. So nevermind.

Even more even more theming!

Even more Emily!

One last shot of still more theming...

...and it's in to meet Anna and Elsa!

The wait time was correct! We figured the short queue was the result of people not realizing this was open yet, but by the time I'm typing this (a month and a half later), the waits weren't really much longer. From what I heard, Disney uses some sort of trickery (cloning? time travel? impostors?) to provide three sets of princess/queen pairs at a time, which keeps this line a-movin'. Whatever it is, it works!

Anna was a lot of fun, as always. As Anna should be.

As we wait our turn to meet the queen, we get some pictures of...the rug?

Now to meet Elsa:

Elsa is never anywhere near as fun, or funny, as her younger sister, but I guess she's not supposed to be. Still nice, though.

More theming in the dump shop...

...and we're done!

After meeting the princesses - or princess and queen, if we're being 100% accurate - it's a connecting flight to the Land for our first trip around the world! By glider that is. I jumped on these FPs the day they became available, and have FPs for it on our third Epcot day as well. Can't wait!

But first, more Norway pics! Or are they Arendelle pics? Both, maybe? Who knows? Who cares?

We checked out the gift shop (same one as the post-M&G dump shop. I'm posting out of order. Busted!), and it's lots o' Frozen stuff. Maybe that means the other gift shop (the one that was here pre-Arendelle, dumping out from the old Maelstrom) will be less Frozen-heavy. But I doubt it. We'll see in a few days.

Oh, and the shop would have been WAY better had they greeted us with "yoo hoo, big summer blowout!", instead of, "hello." I mean, the latter is polite, but they should be using the former. I would have cheered.

Speaking of cheering, let's all give it up for another new old Epcot attraction!

New theming!

Councourse C!

We were sent to Concourse A again, but I'm sure C is no different. It IS cool that there is a C now, and that it's open!

We get to the cattle pens and ask to wait for B-1. As usual. And we get it.

The pre-pre-ride video video shows a map of the world, laying out our upcoming flight path. I don't want to know, so I look down. I think there's probably Neuschwanstein Castle, since Kristin says, "yay!" at one point. Others are giving away some of the locations, too, so I guess I can't expect to go in fully ignorant.

The pre-pre-ride video video transitions into the pre-ride video, and everyone cheers. Patrick is back! Thank goodness. I don't know how many angry threads on the DISboards I can take.

In we go, and it's up in the air! Over lots of places! One of the knocks I've heard from people who watched the previews was that there was a lot of CGI, but it was mostly just the transitions. Which didn't really bother me. But it was more than just the transitions. Pretty much any animal in it was fake, especially the bears (...oh my!), and I'm not 100% sure about some of the vehicles.

Oh, well. If there's one thing I can do in WDW, it's suspend disbelief. It's still a great experience, and it was fun seeing the new scenery. Thy pyramids and the Eiffel Tower (which I learned from the Laugh Floor is located on the island nation of Minnesota) were the best parts, IMO.

I don't know if I'm ready to judge it side-by-side with the previous footage just yet, but I really enjoyed the changes. We all did. Well done, Disney!

It's reaching dusk now, which is a beautiful time at Epcot.

As it gets darker, we decide on Japan as our Illuminations spot again. Why not?

I grab myself another iced tea from inside Mitsukoshi, but grab no photos of the show. We did get photos of Emily posing, though:

And Emily and Kristin posing:

And Emily and Duffy posing:

And some photos of Epcot's various building structures on the way out:

Because 14, Dylan wants to spend as little time with the rest of the family as possible. Since that doesn't happen much in WDW, he takes what he can get. Tonight, that means walking ahead of us to try to reach the bus first. And he does. He's back at the resort first as well, which buys him about 15 minutes of uninterrupted Clash Royale time. Again, he'll take what he can get.

I didn't make note of when we got back to the resort, but it was probably sometime around 10:00. We goof off for a little before bed, and then it's lights out. We want to hit Animal Kingdom early tomorrow, so we're taking advantage of the "early" night to get some sleep.

It was a fantastic day at Epcot! And we still get two more! As we reach the halfway point of our vacation, we're having a blast.

But with six days left, we need to rest. Good night!

(Up next - Day 7, Sunday, Animal Kingdom!)

Last edited:
Your dinner at Germany looks delicious and fun. Cute picture of you & Kristen dancing!
Steve also loves the Schoffenhofer Grapefruit. We finally found a place that sells it here at home.

The Anna & Elsa Sommerhoooos M & G looks awesome. I heard about the 3 sets of sister too ----> *~*~* Magic *~*~*

Emily and her boyfriend Martin went to Europe again this year. They spent a week in Bergen, Norway and then visited Martin's family in Poland and Germany. They absolutely loved Norway and are excited to visit with the cast members at the Norway pavilion (next week!).

Was Margaret Almer & The Bavarian Band playing at Germany when you were there? They play in the little house/stage just outside the pavilion. I played a YouTube clip of them for Emily and she said "I never heard music like that in Germany". What? I thought music like that played everywhere you went and they handed out free beer & pretzels. :P

New Soarin' - I didn't want to know anything about the new ride before we went but curiosity got the better of me. I watched a video on YouTube. I'm anxious to see/hear/smell it but I'm not excited about the CGI and startling transitions.

Great Dinner at Biergarten! We love that place too. I love the Red Cabbage and the Spaetzle, not a fan of sausage or brats but I do like the roast pork that they usually have and the Mac and cheese is really good. Pretzel bread is usually on my list too.

Fun Anna and Elsa pics! Great that the wait times for that have been reasonable.

Glad you liked the New Soarin! I am looking forward to seeing that someday soon.

In fact, that will just make it easier for me to make my 17 trips to the buffet. Oops, I forgot I'm eating more healthy now. So 15 trips to the buffet. BUT NO MORE.

:rotfl:

Soarin Around the World sounds fun! My main question is do you get to fly though Disneyland like on the old Soarin at the end?

From what I heard, Disney uses some sort of trickery (cloning? time travel? impostors?) to provide three sets of princess/queen pairs at a time, which keeps this line a-movin'. Whatever it is, it works!

We totally noticed this trickery on our trip with Ariel, Cinderella and Tinkbelle....I have no idea how this magic happens, but I shall take it!

Also, I believe that your Queen Elsa is actually Alanis Morrisette with dyed hair. The resemblance is amazing.

i love Emily's photos in this update. She posed great!

I think that I've noticed that Kristin wears a lot of Crocs...my kind of Disney shoe woman! It's all I wear at the parks. And to work - well I do wear Tom's sometimes too, to work. Anyway, I love all the styles!

We missed new Soarin by less than a week. Something else for next trip!

Another great day! We pay oop and it stings when I only eat potato's and bread at Biergarten. Enjoy the atmosphere and it is a must do for DH -even if the food isn't as good as what his mom makes.

Great duck face! If my DH did that, I might be tempted to add it to my screen saver at work!

I am curious about the sequence of Soarin' at WDW compared to CA. Our first viewing, we were not in gate B and did not enjoy the 'bend'. Now that it has proven that wait times are not too bad at CA, we always wait for B1 - much better.

I think Dylan s a smart cookie. A little down time from everyone else can be good.

Emily and her boyfriend Martin went to Europe again this year. They spent a week in Bergen, Norway and then visited Martin's family in Poland and Germany. They absolutely loved Norway and are excited to visit with the cast members at the Norway pavilion (next week!).

We'd love to visit Norway! In fact, if we had to move abroad, we both would pick Norway. Which is odd, because it's pretty much the opposite of our intended domestic relocation spot (Florida).

Even more odd is I became a fan of living in Norway after seeing the vampire film "Let the Right One In", which doesn't exactly make living in Norway look that appealing. Anyway...

Was Margaret Almer & The Bavarian Band playing at Germany when you were there? They play in the little house/stage just outside the pavilion. I played a YouTube clip of them for Emily and she said "I never heard music like that in Germany". What? I thought music like that played everywhere you went and they handed out free beer & pretzels. :P

I did not see them. So THAT is what that house is for? Kristin and I were wondering!

I also imagine Germany to be EXACTLY like it is at Epcot. Same goes for all of the other nations. I believe that having such opinions is required, if you're American.

New Soarin' - I didn't want to know anything about the new ride before we went but curiosity got the better of me. I watched a video on YouTube. I'm anxious to see/hear/smell it but I'm not excited about the CGI and startling transitions.

There will be more on the CGI and my opinion of it in later updates :)

Great Dinner at Biergarten! We love that place too. I love the Red Cabbage and the Spaetzle, not a fan of sausage or brats but I do like the roast pork that they usually have and the Mac and cheese is really good. Pretzel bread is usually on my list too.

Oh yeah, the pork schnitzel is great, too!

Fun Anna and Elsa pics! Great that the wait times for that have been reasonable.

We really had written off seeing it for this trip, so the short waits were great! We loved the building, too. The changes to the Norway pavillion don't look THAT out of place. In regard to stereotypical Norway, that is, if not actual Norway. At least the "life in Norway in the 1980s" movie is finally gone.

Soarin Around the World sounds fun! My main question is do you get to fly though Disneyland like on the old Soarin at the end?

Nope, Epcot.

Also, I believe that your Queen Elsa is actually Alanis Morrisette with dyed hair. The resemblance is amazing.

Man, how did I miss that? I oughta know these things.

I think that I've noticed that Kristin wears a lot of Crocs...my kind of Disney shoe woman! It's all I wear at the parks. And to work - well I do wear Tom's sometimes too, to work. Anyway, I love all the styles!

I was a HUGE Crocs fan until the tread on my Vikings Crocs wore down and I nearly killed myself on a wet decline coming down from the Monorail years back. I also almost ate it downtown where I live, so it's been all Keens for me since then. I suppose I could always get NEW Crocs...

Another great day! We pay oop and it stings when I only eat potato's and bread at Biergarten. Enjoy the atmosphere and it is a must do for DH -even if the food isn't as good as what his mom makes.

We consider skipping it every year, but every year, we're back there. It's always fun! Plus, big beer.

Great duck face! If my DH did that, I might be tempted to add it to my screen saver at work!

Thanks! Emily calls it "creepy" when I do it.

I am curious about the sequence of Soarin' at WDW compared to CA. Our first viewing, we were not in gate B and did not enjoy the 'bend'. Now that it has proven that wait times are not too bad at CA, we always wait for B1 - much better.

I don't know if it's different between CA and WDW. Is it?

More on sitting outside of gate B in a future update...

I think Dylan s a smart cookie. A little down time from everyone else can be good.

I think he deals with the close proximity of the rest of us worse than anyone, so alone time is a must!

Updates might not come until the weekend, and maybe not until next week. It's Musikfest time in Bethlehem!

Sunshine Seasons really is a stellar quick service location - lots of options and not crazy expensive either

Hey, look! It's the photo I posted at the end of the last Day 4 update. We've come full circle!

It's the Circle of Life!!! ... oh no, wait, that is an attraction in The Land you didn't do

Colortopia looks really cool - and seems exactly like the type of thing that should be in Innoventions/EPCOT in general

Glad the rain wasn't too bad/long

We get this shot:

Because we previously got this shot, back in 2010:

Ah, that's great to re-live the magic like that - super cool!

Interesting that of all the things in Disney it is the band in Mexico that Dylan likes - but hey, he willingly took a picture so that is cool!

I hadn't heard that the animatronics were just brought out of storage - interesting.

Looks like a good meal in Germany - definitely one location we haven't done yet that I'd like to do.

This concludes the lesson for all of those who don't know a little German...even the one sitting over there.
I know a little German ... good fella

The two of us dance together like we do most things together - she wants me to lead, then decides that my leading is insufficient, so she takes over.
... yeah, sound about what I can relate to

Geez, would it kill Disney to add some themeing to the new Anna and Elsa meet area? Especially with long waits like that!

Glad you enjoyed the new Soarin' ... maybe because I had heard all the grumbling about the CGI so I was expecting that aspect to be really obvious - but I didn't think it was bad at all. One location was pretty obviously fake, but overall I thought it was great. Maybe just me but I didn't think the "smells" were as pronounced as the orange or pine from the previous version

EPCOT really is pretty at dusk!

Omg! I'm so late in joining in on your TR!!! :sad:
But, I'm all caught up! Since I didn't get to go to WDW this year I am living vicariously through you and your family, and It's awesome so far!
Pleaseeeee don't take too long to post more!
I love that y'all went back to CSR this year, too bad CBR didn't grow on Kristin!

Emily's nails were awesome, and omg Dylan grew significantly since your last TR! Glad you guys had a great trip, and I cannot wait to read more!!!!!!

Love you trip reports and love your family!!! Can't wait for the next update

side note - I was looking at pictures of the Mickey Mouse revue (long story) and came across this one where, in the background, you can see the 3 caballeros and they definitely look similar to the ones at the end of the ride in Mexico. They are pretty fluid for not being new!

3b1a4200.jpg

Sunshine Seasons really is a stellar quick service location - lots of options and not crazy expensive either

It's like having a resort food court in a park. And we love our resort food courts.

It's the Circle of Life!!! ... oh no, wait, that is an attraction in The Land you didn't do

Not yet :)

Or maybe we did...on Day 6...and I forgot to make a note of it. But I know for a fact we did see it at some point.

Colortopia looks really cool - and seems exactly like the type of thing that should be in Innoventions/EPCOT in general

Absolutely! Now, they just need MORE of it.

Looks like a good meal in Germany - definitely one location we haven't done yet that I'd like to do.

Really? No Biergarten on the beer tour?

Glad you enjoyed the new Soarin' ... maybe because I had heard all the grumbling about the CGI so I was expecting that aspect to be really obvious - but I didn't think it was bad at all. One location was pretty obviously fake, but overall I thought it was great. Maybe just me but I didn't think the "smells" were as pronounced as the orange or pine from the previous version

More on that later.

Omg! I'm so late in joining in on your TR!!! :sad:

No worries! And welcome!

But, I'm all caught up! Since I didn't get to go to WDW this year I am living vicariously through you and your family, and It's awesome so far!

No trip this year? That stinks! It'll be two years before I get back, and I don't know how I'll do it. Especially since Kristin and Emily are still going.

Pleaseeeee don't take too long to post more!

I won't. Next update is ready to go!

I love that y'all went back to CSR this year, too bad CBR didn't grow on Kristin!

We DID miss the Monkey Cupcake!

Emily's nails were awesome, and omg Dylan grew significantly since your last TR! Glad you guys had a great trip, and I cannot wait to read more!!!!!!

She's all about the nails.

Dylan's almost 6', and gets tired of being asked to stand back-to-back with me. I'm getting a bit tired of it, too.

Love you trip reports and love your family!!! Can't wait for the next update

Thanks! The next one comes tonight.

side note - I was looking at pictures of the Mickey Mouse revue (long story) and came across this one where, in the background, you can see the 3 caballeros and they definitely look similar to the ones at the end of the ride in Mexico. They are pretty fluid for not being new!

Nice! That looks like a great show :)

Colortopia!!! I can't wait.

It's so much fun!

You know what else is fun? Day 7.

;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter