• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Liquid or Powder in your front load washer?

lukenick1

DIS Veteran
One sales rep says only liquid in my brand new front load washer another sales rep said powder. I am so confused.......

I bought the Maxima Maytag HE front loader
We only use liquid detergent

Instructions listed liquid detergent and sales person said that is best

Last edited:

lg front load. i use arm & hammer powder unless it's cold water load in which case it's woolite dark liquid.

I normally use liquid but use powder when washing ds1's cloth diapers. You need strong detergent for that.

Liquid for my LG front loader.

For what it is worth, I have never used PODS in either.

Pods in the front loader have not been good for me. They were on super sale once at Kroger, so I thought I would give them a try. They were horrible! The coating on the outside didn't completely dissolve and got stuck on clothing. The first time I though it was because I had a full load. Nope, happened again with a small load. Thankfully, after a rewash, it dissolved not ruining anything but I will not buy the pods again. Too much of a hassle for me. :sad2: Liquid is just as easy imho, it takes 2 seconds to pour it in the tray.

ETA before anyone asks, yes I did add the pod first to the empty washer. IDK what happened, maybe a defective package of ALL pods? Who knows, but at least I discovered they weren't for me.

Last edited:
Years ago I used powder once and it was so messy and caked up the dispenser. I only use liquid now. Used pods once and as stated above, they don't dissolve.

I have an older front loader and when I used liquid it left residue in the compartment and the seal around the door would eventually get gross. I don't use fabric softener either, I use vinegar instead.
I switched to powder and have used it for years. I add some baking soda in it too, and I don't have any of the problems associated with older front loaders (smell, mildew, etc).

I only use powder for HE washers. The liquid leaves a stink behind. I originally used liquid but because of the oder, I switched to powder and since then, no oder.

I only use liquid in the front load washer I have. That was the instructions that came with the washer.

I have an older front loader and when I used liquid it left residue in the compartment and the seal around the door would eventually get gross. I don't use fabric softener either, I use vinegar instead.
I switched to powder and have used it for years. I add some baking soda in it too, and I don't have any of the problems associated with older front loaders (smell, mildew, etc).

I wonder if I should have done this (I do the baking soda and vinegar with towels but I don't use powder detergent). My front loader is 13 years old and I hate it and want it to die. XD I can't get the door seal clean to save my life and I have to leave the door open all the time. Had to have the drum supports replaced about 7 years ago and wish I hadn't, lol. I wonder if it would have not developed it's grossness if I had used powder. Too late now.

I use liquid in my front loader, but it needs to be high efficiency.

I'm apprehensive to try pods in my front loader as I keep hearing about them not dissolving properly. The only I time I did use them was when traveling and it seemed to work.

I only use liquid in our front loading HE washer. Make sure the brand of detergent you buy states for use in HE machines. Bargain brands particularly of the powder type can leave behind undissolved soap that will accumulate over time.

I've used liquid, powder and pods. When using powder or pods, I pre-dissolve them in a plastic yogurt container with hot water because I noticed that the pods didn't fully dissolve and figured the powder would do the same. I simply prepare the next portion of detergent when I use what's already dissolved so it's ready for the next load, whenevr that may be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter