Lisa's Wish Journal - Now we have gone Dopey.

eyor44

DIS Veteran
I began this writing about a month ago and finally decided to post it.

Occasionally I browse the DisBoards to see what is new or I haven’t browsed before. I am bad about just checking my subs and nothing else. Well, I found this thread and would like to join in. After 40+ years of living not so healthy I made a conscience decision a few months ago to change that. I try to make more healthy choices when eating, especially when eating out, I have walked off and on for the past 20 years, but about three years ago all of that changed.

A little bit of history. As a child I was always a bit overweight, my whole family was. I was uncomfortable about it and as a teenager, was always on a “diet”. I even tried diet pills one time, but didn’t see a difference. Finally by 11th grade I was happy with where I was. After high school, I got married and had a baby. Immediately my mother and her friends kept telling me to give it up, that I would never be thin again. That frightened me. Not something to tell a young, new mother with hormones out of whack. Well, I did start losing weight. Not consciously though. A bad marriage and being poor, can do that to you. I bought a minimal amount of food for me so that my son could have what he needed. I planned meals very carefully so I didn’t over buy and there was no waste. I was so nervous anyway that any extra food would have been a waste. I got down to 89lbs and was wearing a child’s size 14. Part of my weight loss was also the fact that I was exercising too much and didn’t realize it. I would take my son for two walks and one bike ride a day. As I said we were very poor and didn’t have any extra money for any kind of entertainment. I finally ended up at the doctor who ran an incredible number of tests and finally diagnosed my husband as the problem. He said there was nothing medically he could do for me other than put me in the hospital when I got real bad and try to keep me comfortable until I died. He suggested I seriously consider getting rid of my problem (ex-husband). That was a real wake up call. I did some serious soul searching and long story short, took his advice.
My health returned and I was good for several years, but never completely healthy. I have always been a sickly person. I remarried several years later, had another child and refused to listen to what anyone had to say about my weight. I lost it all and was very happy with myself. Then I had my third child and never got quite back to where I was before I became pregnant the third time. Then 2005 came around. 2005 was a very bad year. My father passed away, I was faced with fighting for my job and the very real prospect of losing it, we were trying to sell our house to build a new one and other stuff that on it’s own would have been incredibly minor. Then Hurricane Katrina struck and my world was turned upside down. I ended up in New York with the two younger kids for four weeks. We didn’t lose our house but there was significant damage to it. And the kicker was, we had found a buyer and it was under contract with a closing date of the middle of September. We had to fix the house before we could sell it and find a new place to live. We had a rental for while we were building, but that house was destroyed. Also, my building at work had significant damage and I am the assistant building manager. I suddenly went from living in a quiet little town to dealing with tons of cleanup at home and at work, recovery, refugees and workers who couldn’t speak English. The stress was too much for me. I finally visited my family doctor, who knew my life and family history and while he knows my distaste for any kind of medication, he convinced me to give it a try. It helped, but it also made me gain weight. One of the rare side effects and within a few months I had gained 27lbs and not realized it.

Fast forwarded to now. About six months ago I lost 7lbs and that’s it. I keep trying to get back into walking but don’t have the time to do it on a regular basis. I am one of those people who put everyone else first. Well, it has affected my health and I am about to get tough. DH is always busy and not home in the evenings. Whether it is the fire department or bowling, he is always gone. DD can’t keep up with my pace to walk with me and the dog, nor can I leave her at home while I go by myself. To leave her with DS is a sure fight for some unknown reason right now. I am trying to work on it and figure out what is going on with those two. Plus we have basket ball and soccer in the evenings. I have to figure out a consistent time for me.

Welcome! Come and join me on my journey and learn about my new goal.

My WISHes
My first WISH is to run in the ½ marathon in 2010. I am going to do the 5K in January, but would love to sign up for the ½. I don’t want to sign up (and pay) until I know for sure I will be able to do it. I am not sure why this appeals to me, but maybe I do. I have been wanting to go on a Solo trip to Disney for several years, but have always felt guilty about it. By doing this, there is a reason to go at a specific time and it is during school so the kids can’t go. Well, DD could, but who would watch her while I was in the marathon? So, I am going alone and not going to feel guilty about it. No one in my family loves Disney as I do. DS is on his way, but I want to look at all the little stuff and people watch. I love to people watch.

My second WISH is to become healthier. Eat healthier and take care of myself better.
I am so run down and tired all of the time. It is no wonder I get sick and have headaches so much. I average around 5-6 hours of sleep each night and I know I need more than that.
I haven’t been to the dentist in years. I used to go twice a year, but after a series of bad experiences with the one who took over the practice when my regular dentist retired, I tried to switch to a new one. Then I had another bad experience with that one and haven’t been back since. I know that good dental hygiene is an important part of good health, but my fears are keeping me away. I am trying very hard to talk myself into trying again.

I am trying to eat better also. I really don’t like most veggies, but will eat fruits. I try to eat at least one serving a day. I love to drink milk so that isn’t a problem and I drink water regularly too. I just drink way too much coke which I am trying to cut down.

My third WISH is to get finances in order. We have two outstanding credit cards that I want to get paid off. We have been slowly working over the years to not use credit and pay cash. Well, we use credit cards for the miles/points, but we pay them off every month. We had been doing real well until we built our new house a couple years ago. Things got a little out of hand and we ended up with a credit card bill. Then a couple things happened, which I didn’t plan for appropriately, and a second one was used. Now those two are not used until they are paid off. One will be closed when it is paid off. The other kept for as it was originally intended. We were just able to refinance our mortgage and went from 28 years left to 15 years. Yes, the payment went up a bit per month, but over all it was a step in the right direction towards retirement. A huge weight has been lifted now that the mortgage will be paid off before we retire. I was really worried about that one.

Welcome to WISH Journaling, Lisa! You will find a lot of encouragement and support from our fellow WISHers here. :goodvibes

I like how you have listed your WISHes. You can definitely accomplish each of those goals!:cheer2:

It's great to have you here! :hug:

Lisa, I am so glad you started a journal, they really are helpful! You have been through a lot in the past years, I am so sorry you lost your dad and that you had all that happen during Katrina. You are a very strong lady!:hug:

You can do this! You are off to a great start. Can you get a treadmill so you can walk in your house? I know my exercsing got a lot less complicated when I could finally leave my kids home, but like you, they argue and sometimes its not so easy! Maybe some workout DVD's? It'll happen, you just have to find the right thing that works for your overall life.

Thanks for always visiting my journal, I look forward to taking this journey with you!:)

Welcome to WISH journaling, Lisa! You will find this an incredibly supportive group and a wonderful tool for your new life!!

Welcome to WISH Journaling, Lisa! You will find a lot of encouragement and support from our fellow WISHers here. :goodvibes

I like how you have listed your WISHes. You can definitely accomplish each of those goals!:cheer2:

It's great to have you here! :hug:

Lisa, I am so glad you started a journal, they really are helpful! You have been through a lot in the past years, I am so sorry you lost your dad and that you had all that happen during Katrina. You are a very strong lady!:hug:

You can do this! You are off to a great start. Can you get a treadmill so you can walk in your house? I know my exercsing got a lot less complicated when I could finally leave my kids home, but like you, they argue and sometimes its not so easy! Maybe some workout DVD's? It'll happen, you just have to find the right thing that works for your overall life.

Thanks for always visiting my journal, I look forward to taking this journey with you!:)

Welcome to WISH journaling, Lisa! You will find this an incredibly supportive group and a wonderful tool for your new life!!

Thank you each for all of the encouragement. Encouragement is what I need. I get distracted so easily.

I want a treadmill, but it's not possible right now. Often on stormy evenings or just when I can't get out, I wish I had one. I do have two friends who each have one and would gladly let me use them, something I may take them up on this summer and I have thought about workout DVDs. Just haven't acted on anything yet.

Lisa, I really like the Leslie Sandstone DVD's, Walk Away the Pounds in particular. Look around at garage sales, its amazing how many people sell their treadmills! Maybe you could find a good used one. Also check bulletin boards at your kids school (if your kids schools allow this), that's how my friend got a first rate one for like $100.

Lisa, I really like the Leslie Sandstone DVD's, Walk Away the Pounds in particular. Look around at garage sales, its amazing how many people sell their treadmills! Maybe you could find a good used one. Also check bulletin boards at your kids school (if your kids schools allow this), that's how my friend got a first rate one for like $100.

What a great idea. I didn't even think of garage sales. and there is a thrift store in town that sales good stuff cheap. I'll start keeping a look out. Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately our elementary is so large that they discourage parents from hanging around or even going past the office unless absolutely necessary. When we were in NY a couple years ago, DS went to school while we were there. It was a very small elementary and they loved parents to come around and volunteer. It was very different and I really liked it.

For the marathon, I think the suggested per mile is 16 minutes. Currently I do 18 minutes, but my goal is 15 minute miles. My walks do include a couple of good hills, so perhaps I would do better on a flat route. I am not sure of the route at Disney, but I think Disney in general is rather flat. Maybe not, now that I think about it. I remember pushing a stroller up some pretty good inclines.
Anyone know?

March 20 – Lost 2lbs. This is good. Heading in the right direction.
March 23 – Walked one mile while Aly was in dance class.
March 24 – Roo and I walked one mile in neighborhood.
March 25 – Roo and I walked one mile in neighborhood.
March 26 – Roo and I walked one mile in neighborhood.
March 27 – Lost 1lb. Still heading in the right direction.
March 29 – Roo and I walked 1 ½ miles in neighborhood.
March 30 – I mailed in my registration today for the 5K and ½ in January 2010. I have never done any type of race before, so I guess they’ll take my money and let me try. Not going to make any firm plans until I get confirmation back that I am in. Walked one and half mile while Aly was in dance class.
I finally found a street in town that is marked with mileage for walking. It is two blocks over from the dance studio, so actually I guess I walked more than 1 ½ miles.
I read a trip report today from someone who did the marathon in 2008. Got my answer on hills. Guess I’ll keep working on them. Those seem to be the hard part. I really hope I get in. It would be so cool to be able to do this, going through the Magic Kingdom and then Epcot. I know I’ll get to do the 5K at Animal Kingdom. Can’t wait for that either.

March 31 – We didn’t get to walk today. Scott didn’t get home until after 10:00 and it was rainy all evening.

April 1 – Happy April Fool’s Day. I guess that is the way to say it. My plan is to add ½ mile every week until I am up to 14 miles. I realize that I won’t be able to walk 14 miles every day, but I plan to do the long walks on Saturday and Sunday, in the morning, so I will be used to that. I always have walked in the evenings. The lighting is different, brighter, in the mornings when the sun comes up, so I need to get use to that.

Today, I walked first with Aly riding her bike. We didn’t go far as she has a cold and refuses to take any medicine.

After Scott got home I took Roo out again and we went for our regular walk, but added a bit more to it. We were both tired by the time we got back. I was a little worried about Roo, but she caught her second wind and we were able to finish just fine. Roo is eight years old now, which isn’t too old, but I guess she needs to build back up also. I won’t be taking her with me on my long weekend walks. At least not at first.

Meet Roo, my walking buddy.
IMG_0775.jpg

She is eight years old and sixty pounds of solid muscle. At the beginning of each walk, she is always in the lead. She loves to walk.

You are doing a great job, Lisa! Keep up the good work!:cheer2:

That is so exciting that you will be doing the 1/2 Marathon next year! :cool1:

I hope you have a wonderful day ahead!:hug:

Lisa, your Roo looks too cute. What a great walking buddy she must be, too bad she can't come to the 1/2 marathon with you!

I bet you will get in, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. That would be so incredible to do on all levels.

Keep up the good work with these walks and you'll be powering up those hills in WDW with no problem!

You are doing a great job, Lisa! Keep up the good work!:cheer2:

That is so exciting that you will be doing the 1/2 Marathon next year! :cool1:

I hope you have a wonderful day ahead!:hug:

Lisa, your Roo looks too cute. What a great walking buddy she must be, too bad she can't come to the 1/2 marathon with you!

I bet you will get in, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. That would be so incredible to do on all levels.

Keep up the good work with these walks and you'll be powering up those hills in WDW with no problem!

Thank you both. Still not quite sure what prompted me to register for the 1/2. I started out just going to do the 5K the first time around and then when I was filling out the application, I just decide to go for it.

I love walking with Roo! and I really wish I could take her, but it says no pets. I will probably be walking with my arm straight out in front of me for the first couple of miles just out of habit. :rotfl:

I did get my confirmation for both races!:banana::banana::banana:

April 2 – I felt horrible today. Aly is sick and woke me up real early running fever. I hurt all over and my calves really hurt. At this moment I’m not really sure about the marathon. What am I going to do if my calves never stop hurting? We’ll keep trying. I realize there will be days like this, got to get over the psychological part of it.
Part 2 - Only did one mile today. We got a late start and Scott would be needing to leave for bowling, so I had to cut it back down. But some is better than nothing. Good news is, I feel better. I did a little stretching before Roo and I headed out and I am wondering if that is what I had been lacking. I need to stretch each day before I walk. I walk all day long at work and even use stairs throughout the day so I didn’t really think the stretching was necessary. I may have very well been wrong.

April 3 – Still feel good and my calves don’t hurt this morning. I have taken to weighing on Fridays. I heard to only weigh one day a week and try to do it the same day and same time each week. Bad news, I gained two pounds, but my jeans are a tad more comfortable. Perhaps I am finally starting to build muscle? Let’s hope that is the case. I have really been trying to eat healthier and in the past few days have really replaced junk with fruits and veggies. Not so much veggies as I don’t care for most of them. I have started eating more salad though. A friend gave me some lettuce plants, three different varieties and I really like them. Not iceberg at all. It’s great to be able to walk out the back door when I am fixing dinner and pick lettuce off the plant. Just picked fresh really is better. I need to go pick up a couple tomato plants. I am way behind on getting those. I am also going to try a couple more veggies. I have tried in the past and not had much luck. I can do tomatoes as long as the bugs stay away.

April 4 – Very busy day. Visited the Street Fair in town, went to Luke’s (a friend of Aly’s) soccer game. After the soccer game, Aly and I went to Luke’s house as his mother (my friend Elizabeth) and I were going to get out her new sewing machine and play with it. While we were there, her DH called and said for me to stay for dinner. My DH and DS were with her’s as the boys had a soccer game in another town. We ended up staying until late so I didn’t get any walking in.

April 5 – I tried walking by myself and Roo wasn’t happy that she was left at home. I have been averaging 20 minute miles and am wondering if walking her has my time off. She tends to pause occasionally and messes with my momentum; didn’t work. I still walked a 20 minute mile.

April 6- walked with Roo. Not much else to say about it.

April 7-9 – No exercise at all, unless you count the walking I do at work. It was a strange week and I didn’t feel well for part of it. This week is Spring Break for the kids. Monday, I stayed home and kept two of Aly’s friends, Sophia and Luke. Tuesday, I had to leave work early since Aly had a dentist appointment. Wednesday, we took Aly down to Biloxi after work as she was staying with a friend for a couple days. Wednesday was also DS’ (John’s) birthday, so we went out for his birthday dinner after we dropped Aly off. We got home real late that night. Thursday I can’t really remember what happened. I do know I started cleaning house, but I think it rained.

I am so envious of runners. I've always wanted to be a runner, but I suck at it and...oh yeah, I hate actually doing it. :rotfl:

I love your dog. SO CUTE!

Woohoo!!!:woohoo:I bet you are super excited!!:banana: Where will you be staying for Marathon Weekend?

Have a great weekend!:hug:

I am excited! It a definite commitment now. At first I was going to stay at the AS Music, I have never stayed there before. But now my friend Elizabeth is going and we may stay somewheres different. Since we will be sharing a room we may upgrade. Will you be there?

I am so envious of runners. I've always wanted to be a runner, but I suck at it and...oh yeah, I hate actually doing it. :rotfl:

I love your dog. SO CUTE!

I try running and it just really doesn't work for me. But I keep trying. Some people make it look so easy.
Thank you for the compliment on Roo. She refused to look at the camera. She is getting an attitude in her old age.

Is that your puppy? Now that puppy is way cute. Kind of like what I imagine Roo must have looked like when she was a puppy.

I am excited! It a definite commitment now. At first I was going to stay at the AS Music, I have never stayed there before. But now my friend Elizabeth is going and we may stay somewheres different. Since we will be sharing a room we may upgrade. Will you be there?

Hi Lisa,

No, I won't be at Marathon Weekend in 2010. One of these days, I do want to give the 1/2 Marathon a try though. Maybe in 2012.:goodvibes

I hope you have a great Saturday!:hug:

April 10 - I weighed today and have gained 1lb. Not happy. I cleaned house all evening. I did receive my confirmation that I got into both races I signed up for in January 2010. I am going to do the 5K at Animal Kingdom on that Friday and the ½ on Saturday. It’s real now. I am committed and I have got to get my “training” going.

April 11 - John had two basket ball games and then we had his bday party that night. I didn’t get to walk today.

April 12 - Sunday, Easter, we began with the sunrise service at church and then spent the day with friends. We didn’t get home until 8:30pm and I was tired. I went to bed early on Sunday which is very rare for me. Sixth day without walking, not good.

April 13 – got to get back to it. Walked with Roo and we didn’t do to bad. Still at 20 minutes but even though we had not walked for a week, I felt rather good when we were done. An hour later, Aly and I played soccer for about 20 minutes in the back yard.

April 14 – I was afraid my legs would hurt this morning, but they didn’t. I did a lot of walking at work as I was escorting contractors and we have a big building. I walked with Roo and my legs did hurt some, but not enough to stop. We did real well and she only tried to pause a couple of times. It helped that there weren’t any other dogs out. Elizabeth called today to say that she signed up for the 5K and ½ also. We will be going together and hopefully finish together.

April 15 – Tax Day! I hope everyone has finished (and mailed) their taxes.
I walked the firemen through my building this morning to do their fire extinguisher check. Since I had a meeting that was mandatory, I kind of rushed them through. About half way through one remarked that they wouldn’t need to go to the gym today; that they were getting plenty of workout trying to keep up with me. I am trying to walk up the stairs more and as long as I don’t go too fast, my legs don’t hurt quite as much as they did say a month ago.

April 16 – Today is Scott’s bday. Plus he has bowling and John has soccer practice. So instead of just starting dinner and leaving it for him to finish, I stayed and did the whole thing, ate and then we did presents before they had to leave. Then I was left with Aly and not able to walk. I did have a nice phone call with my oldest brother. He even invited me to come to Disney for a few days the end of September when he and his DW will be there. It will be their 25th anniversary trip. Like I am going to crash that trip. It would be fun to hang out with them some there though. We have had Disney trips overlap before and had a great time together.

April 17 – Weighed today and lost 1.5lbs. Back in the right direction. Didn’t get to walk today as Scott, John and friends Brad and Joseph went to a concert. I took Aly over to Luke’s house so Elizabeth and I could sew. Actually we are still learning how to use her new machine.

April 18 – A busy day today. Went shopping with a friend and then Elizabeth and I rode to Hattiesburg to watch the boys play in a soccer tournament. They won one and lost two so the season is over. During the last game, Elizabeth and I walked around the soccer field several times. It was great. We got to walk and watch at the same time. The walking helped keep us away from the dads hollering also.

Now I am all caught up and can just post each day as it happens from here on out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter