Live Action Snow White - too far a departure from the original?

I am hearing buzz that the whole project is being shelved, partially because of the strike.
I heard Disney is trying to liquidate some of it's company in the next three years. They supposedly want to get rid of ESPN and downsize some of the overall company, to only focus on like 3 main entities within the company (movies/technology, theme parks, and cruise lines). There's a trillion dollar company rumored online to have a interest in buying out parts of the company in general. I have no clue how accurate this information actually is, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

It is a 200 year old story that has been made into movies at least 24 plus times, including Snow White and the Three Stooges. It is just one more. Some will hate it, some will like it, some might love it and most won't see it.

I'll take DS because he loves Snow White even though I don't.

Probably just another average movie, I don't expect a hit out of it.
I would never stop re-seeing the movie if they made a 3 Stooges remake of Snow White.

What I have also seen as a comment, which is not just this movie, but also others:

Many creators say about their production featuring women that the female leas is a strong, independent, "I don't need a man" types, and that is perfectly fine. But the way they usually talk about it is as if it is wrong for a woman to want a relationship. Having a relationship is a fine goal in life, it is up to the creators to show that it is not the only goal.

Yes, I very much agree. I am all for young girls being told that they can do anything, be anything that they want to be, even the traditionally male roles like firefighters, marines, etc. They should have strong female role-models too. But, if a girl wants to be a princess, or a homemaker, or a mother, then that's okay too. There is definitely a feeling from some folks that it is not, but to me that goes against the very empowerment that women have fought to attain.

I could care less but to me if they stray to far off characters they can dilute or weaken the marketability of the original without really gaining any marketability from new. Unless the new is success.
So far most others have not strayed to far.

There is a great business book called I know it when I see it.
It's about a company that begins to start overlooking what the customer wants/needs because they have a bunch of hired folk saying what they should make. You need to listen to the customers not tell them they are wrong.

Last edited:
Yes, I very much agree. I am all for young girls being told that they can do anything, be anything that they want to be, even the traditionally male roles like firefighters, marines, etc. They should have strong female role-models too. But, if a girl wants to be a princess, or a homemaker, or a mother, then that's okay too. There is definitely a feeling from some folks that it is not, but to me that goes against the very empowerment that women have fought to attain.
This 💯.

To me this is the kicker.
Nobody seems in slightest bit upset that WB or whomever made Deadpool that they changed races of Domino. You know why cause the movie and especially her role are good. With all this push at disney to be diverse (imo)she is by far the best case of one of these characters, and the simple reason is it’s was by well written and a fantastic performance. She stole every scene she was in.
Also had superheroes in same gender relationship, no one cared. Again in part because it was good and enjoyable. And I think she’s a minor or at least has teenage in her stupid name.

Last edited:
now, some country dude remaking Fast Car and sounding almost exactly like Tracy Chapman, and getting higher chart rankings, that’s sad.

Except that, over 3 decades later, there has been a renewed interested in Tracy Chapman, thanks to this particular remake of “Fast Car,” & Chapman now holds the distinction as the first Black woman to top the chart since Billboard Country was formed due to Combs’ release of her song.

35 years ago, I liked Chapman’s version, &, fast-forward to 2023, I also like Luke Combs’ version. My Gen Z kids had never heard the song, &, because Combs released it & it went as high on the charts as it did, they not only have heard his version but they also now know about Tracy Chapman & have heard her version as well.

And I’m not sure we can compare chart rankings from decades ago to now - simply because, 35 years ago, music artists didn’t have social media to drive both themselves & their songs’ popularity. (35 years ago, no one would ever have known about Oliver Anthony & “Rich Men North of Richmond” because the social media presence needed to make anything go viral wasn’t around.)

In the same way, social media is influencing the new ”Snow White” movie before it’s even been released. For instance, in addition to the fact that I haven’t liked any of Disney’s recent remakes & wish the writers would come up w/ new stories, I have no plans to see the new “Snow White” primarily because of Rachel Zegler. All the different things she’s said that have gone viral, including her complaining about not getting paid enough to stand around for over 18 hours in a princess dress, have just completely soured me on the movie… In my opinion, she’s killed the movie before it even got a chance, but it’s only because of social media & how quickly news & entertainment information & disinformation spreads. Most of us probably wouldn’t even be currently aware of a Snow White remake w/o social media.

when the remake is too similar, people complain, when the remake has changes people complain, when they make a different kind of movie people complain. The Little Mermaid remake was amazing. Why not wait and see what they end up with.

In the same way, social media is influencing the new ”Snow White” movie before it’s even been released. For instance, in addition to the fact that I haven’t liked any of Disney’s recent remakes & wish the writers would come up w/ new stories, I have no plans to see the new “Snow White” primarily because of Rachel Zegler. All the different things she’s said that have gone viral, including her complaining about not getting paid enough to stand around for over 18 hours in a princess dress, have just completely soured me on the movie… In my opinion, she’s killed the movie before it even got a chance, but it’s only because of social media & how quickly news & entertainment information & disinformation spreads. Most of us probably wouldn’t even be currently aware of a Snow White remake w/o social media.

She does come off as a bit of a diva for sure, and it's not a great look. I don't really have a problem with her casting at all though. If I refuesed to watch movies with a spoiled star in them, I wouldn't watch movies! 🤣 I may not watch this movie, but that's just because I don't much care for the remakes. I think all the contoversey is overblown though.

The stupid Snow White remake might have had a fighting chance if:
  1. the lead actress had kept her mouth shut about her personal opinions about the original movie
  2. the lead actress had actually WATCHED the original movie more than once
  3. the movie studio had actually kept the 7 dwarves as, you know, actual dwarves instead of 'magical creatures that are actually 'normal'-sized actors shrunk down thanks to CGI.'
  4. the lead actress had actually had white skin
Disney should have just come up with a brand new story line. You know...done something creative for a change instead of this stupidity.

The lead actress right now is coming across as an ignorant fool.

If I have any concerns about Zegler is that whenever she caught talking about the original movie it is not very positive. Saying her Snow White is a leader, who doesnt need a man. The prince was a stalker, she saw the original movie only once, wanting to be paid by streamed hour online because she had to wear the iconic dress for 18 hours a day... she doesnt talk like she wants to be in this remake. It will be hard to believe her once she has to do official interviews to promote the movie. I would have liked it if she had a little bit more respect for the source material because it is of immense importance in cinematic history.

With all the changes, they should just have made an original story. And not called it a remake.
This so much. I liked her casting and I was more than willing to give it a go after TLM... and then I heard her speak. Why star in Snow White if all you are gonna be be ****ting on the story and complaining about wearing a beautiful dress? I have honestly heard all of her throwaway lines on tumblr when teens start analyzing movies and I am so tired of it. Like yes, we know these are not the most details of stories and fairytales in general can be pretty problematic if you start to over analyze them. BUT you don't need to say that every time a camera is in front you with that "I am better than you" attitude.

Can you tell she annoys me?

Haunted Mansion was evidently so bad that it just quietly disappeared.
I just had a look, the biggest movie theatre near me only shows Haunted Mansion once a day next week, but not every day. The only show is during dinner time, it starts at 5.40 till 8. Perfect for families...

Today there was an article in the newspaper here about contraversies in upcoming movies, starting with Bradley Cooper on Maestro, but also Zegler's comments and the dwarf issues were included.

I appreciate its value as a classic and the beginning of full length animated films, but it's very dated and I don't actually have any desire to watch it.
Same, though I love the Evil Queen and hag scenes. If the movie was heavily-edited down, it's much more watchable.

The hand-washing sequence with the dwarves needs to be banned for being so boring.

As with much of what Disney does these days - just plain sick. It's not a remake - just name it something else. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves will always be just that - a beautiful fairy tale movie that has thrilled children (and adults) for ages. Will never see the 'remake'.

The Critical Drinker made a video about it yesterday, one interesting point he made is that due to the strikes, there isn't much other news coming from Hollywood, hence the zero'ing in on every detail that we do get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter