LIVE trip report. At least for now. No exclamation points needed. Yet!

If you could pick one of these Disney characters to voice your GPS, which would you choose?

• Total voters

MeanestMomEver

Oh Boy!
Meanestmomever here, coming to you LIVE from the backseat of an SUV on I-75 south of Atlanta.

Much like last March's trip, (http://www.disboards.com/threads/how-to-turn-a-romantic-affordable-trip-for-2-into-a-ruckus.3238608/)

this trip started simple and grew complicated. (And honestly, I couldn't be happier.)

My quickie September 2014 report

http://www.disboards.com/threads/tr...-generator-i-need-that.3369580/#post-52919437

revealed that my oldest daughter, who lives in Jacksonville, FL is pregnant.

March, 2015, seemed like a great time for my husband and I to make a quick and simple (and economical) trip to visit her, offer moral support, help with some baby-prep projects, and transport all the lovely baby shower gifts she recieved when she flew to Indiana to visit over Christmas.

A few weeks ago, my college sophomore daughter asked if she could come too. "I want to see my sissy with a baby bump!"

Ok. That's fine. Since she attends the same school where DH is a professor, they have the same spring break.

I'd hoped she would stay home and dog sit. And study. Haha. Like that ever happens in real life.

Yes, we would love for her to join us. My middle daughter is student teaching this semester so it would be just the three of us. And I thought it was pretty cool that she wanted to go somewhere with just mom and dad at age 20!

Except it isn't just the three of us.
And (as it turns out) she doesn't want to go someplace with her parents.

What she wants is a free trip to Florida for herself and, of course, her roommate.

It's that kind of trip when your parents pay for gas. And food. And hotels. And, you guessed it: Disney tickets.

Last edited:
Had to post that because I really am riding along I-75, typing with my index finger on my phone.

My daughter is driving and you know, one crazy lane change, a slight drift onto a rumble strip or a great song comes on and the resulting sudden jolt could wipe out all of this practically perfect poetic prose.

Déjà vu... Once again, extra travelers means extra drama and extra expense.

We are no longer sleeping on the air bed in my 28 yr old daughter's loft, free of charge.

The itinerary now looks like this:

Arrive in Jacksonville Beach around 2:30 am, according to the Garmin.
Stay in beachfront hotel 3 nights.
Spend the weekend at the beach, movies, dining and helping pregnant daughter prep for baby due in about 6 weeks.

Monday morning drive to WDW for a 3 night stay at CSR.

Thursday- back to Jax for more family time before heading home.

And let me back up a second and mention that we had to stop in Hunstville on the way (for DH business) so we've been on the way to this quick and simple visit for nearly 36 hours now.

Only 148 miles to go.
Shake it off
Shake it off
Oh oh
Shake it off
Shake it off.

Oh silly me. 148 miles til we EXIT onto I 10.

Darn you, Garmin lady.

I wish Mickey's voice was an option for the Gamin.

"Hey Ya Pal, in 142 miles, exit on the right"

"Oh boy! Only 2/10 of a mile until you exit left. Heh heh heh."

"ReeeeeeCAL-cu-lating!"

Last edited:
And now, a word about this trip's special guest, my daughter's roommate, Ann!

My daughter had a very...un-princess-like roommate last year. So, it's a pleasure to see her and her current roommate hit it off so well. They've been absolutely giddy about the trip, especially

(Oh look a person towing an old bus)

...especially the Disney portion of the trip. Ann (who is beautiful, brilliant and sweet, by the way) has only been to a Disney park once! She visited The Magic Kingdom on her 10 the birthday.

On Thursday, our last park Day, it will be Ann's 20 the birthday! I made note of that when I booked our resort. And I'm bringing a big Happy Birthday sign. And I'll make sure she gets a birthday button.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I guess I should ask that on a different board. And since I still have 203 minutes in the car (gee, that's swell) I guess I will.

Last edited:
Excited to follow along! I don't have any birthday ideas to add, unfortunately, other than make sure you tell EVERYONE you see it's her birthday and make a big deal about being excited about it - a lot of people don't want to make a big deal if they think the person is shy or doesn't like birthdays... But if YOU'RE going all out, then THEY go all out!

And now, because we still have 118 minutes in the car...

If the Garmin's voice could be changed to a Disney character as you travel to WDW I'd choose Gaston.

No one's slick as Gaston
No one's sic as Gaston
No one gives out driving instruction as quick as Gaston

For there's no Garmin voice selection as manly
for guiding you through pitstops and gassing

You can ask any Tom, Dick or Stanley
And they'll rave 'bout his gassing and passing.

No one chides like Gaston
Stresses your rides like Gaston

No one tells you you're diving too fast like Gaston

Gaston:
Like a backseat driver, yes, I am intimidating!
Lefou and Chorus:
My what a help, that Gaston!

Last edited:
Stats:
Boring Garmin says 35 minutes to go til Jax hotel

Song playing: Living on a Prayer

Temperature in northern Florida at 2 am: 73

Number of people asleep in our vehicle: 2 out of 4

Favorite quote of the trip so far:
My daughter after pulling into rest stop..."this place looks shady, and gross, like people get kidnapped here. Who's gonna come in with me while I go to the bathroom?"
Husband: "get back on the road and drive to a rest stop without bars on the windows."

And I'm getting a little giddy. May get bumped off Dis boards for good. Just posted a new thread called "Who is your Disney Crush?"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter