LIVE TRIP REPORT: March 27-April 6 Matey's Meander to tge Darkside & WDW

Wrote a long update and lost it before it posted. Since I'm on vacation now, I'll keep this short and update more later.

Went to DHS rope drop yesterday. Rode RNR 2x, TOT 2x, Star Tours, Mike/Sulley Meet and Greet. Everything was walk-on to 15 minutes wait at most.

Bused over to Epcot where we had FP+ for Spaceship Earth, Soarin' and Mission:Space. Only one that warranted need for FP+ was Soarin'. Others were walk-on basically. Couldn't change our FP's on the fly though bc system was down. Didn't matter b/c everything had short lines (except for Soarin' and at times M:S and TT). But we got on TT Single Rider in about 15 minutes. SB was at 40 mins at that point. It had gone higher (up to 75 mins) throughout the day.

List of what we did:
Cola taste test
Figment
World Showcase (food: turkey leg, orange chicken, mexican)
SE
Sum of All Thrills
SOarin'
Nemo
Turtle Talk
M:S
TT
Gran Fiesta
Maelstrom
World Showcase to IG (ate Frushi)

IG Boat to DHS
Ate at ABC Commissary
2x on TOT
3x on RNR
10 p.m. Fantasmic! - center seats, around row 8

Was a great day!

Thursday, April 3 we spent at our resort, the Caribe Royale. Here's a resort review. Overall, I give it a 7.5 out of 10. We got a good rate, $160 resort food credit and a $40 Disney gift card that we used for food too!

If we got a good deal, we would probably stay here again.

Here's what we liked;
We were in a 2 bdr villa. Loved the suite. It was spacious, offered queen beds and a king in the master.

The resort grounds are beautiful. The main pool is pretty, big, offers lots of seating, waterfall and slide and cheap 2-person cabanas in the shade. Liked the service at the pool bar.

Villas have a second "quiet" pool. My kids preferred this one bc it was less crowded (most of the time).

Beds were comfy. Room service was efficient and quick and good.

Nice gym (two floors and full weight room equipment) plus basketball and tennis equip rentals.

Parking was available right in front of the villa (except one night, all spaces were filled).

Location to WDW was reasonable. Trip driving From villa door-to-MK gate w/TTC monorail was about 40 mins. approx. 15 minutes to Epcot/DHS. TTC really throws a wrench in things.

They delivered cookies, milk and a fruit basket to our room wishing us a happy bday and anniversary (noted it in our ressie and liked the resort on FB).

Here's what we didn't like about the Caribe:
Internet was horrible. They charge for it unless you are a Stash Rewards member, which I signed up for so thankfully it was free because it constantly dropped with our laptop and was virtually impossible to use on our iPhones.

Villas are far away from the main part of the resort amenities resulting in us not using them to the fullest extent. Elevators were SLOW, especially for only having to service five floors.

The quiet pool closest to us was too warm. I'm usually always cold, only wearing shorts/tanks once it hits 70. But as the weather got warmer during our stay the pool heated up too quickly and was only refreshing once you got out bc the air was cooler than the pool water. OTOH, the big pool water was cold. The big pool was also always crowded and noisy (partly bc of the waterfall).

The sliders opening and closing in the room above us sounded like thunder. It was annoying when one day there were guests who seemed to go in and out of their deck every two minutes, which they had the right to do it was really distracting though.

Dh didn't like that there wasn't TV check-out option or that the TVs didn't offer on-demand/ppv movies or anything they did have HBO though as we watched Pitch Perfect one off-day.

What we didn't like outside of the hotel's control:
On our last two days there, the quiet pool got very busy with loud guests. One afternoon there were several college aged kids that basically commandeered the pool for their own partying purposes. They brought in huge coolers full of alcohol and were literally throwing beers and
Jell-O shots at each other across the pool. It crossed the line into obnoxious and made us feel very unwelcome at the pool area. I'm not against someone having a good time or a party but this was just not the time/place nor was it appropriate with underage kids there.

Also, on the last night, all the parking spaces were full in the villas section. I'm pretty sure the same group must have come down on spring break and packed themselves into the suites but all brought their own cars. They were also loud, slamming doors and yelling f-bombs. There was a cop car in front if our villa that night when we returned. I asked if all was ok. He just nodded his head yes. Once we got into our room we couldn't hear them so that was good.

On Thursday night we told the kids we we're going to go out to find someplace to eat. Told them to wash up so we could take at least one nice pic. The girls decided to wear cute dresses and were adorable. We had snagged a Chef Mickey's ressie for 9 earlier in the week but Thursday afternoon I was able to snag an 8 pm ressie instead. As we drove toward the contemporary, they wondered why we passed under the wdw sign. We played dumb and acted like we took a wrong turn and had to go turn around in the contemporary parking lot. They bought it, thinking we fibbed to the attendants about having a dinner ressie. Then we pretended to spontaneously suggest taking a quick ride on the monorail before leaving to go get pizza somewhere. After the monorail ride we walked past Chef Mickey's and I said, "Hey, why don't we eat here, we have dinner reservations for it after all!" They all got so excited, except dd3 who got mad bc she thought I was joking and didn't appreciate the joke bc she really wanted to eat there. When she finally understood, she was so happy. Our meal took 90 minutes bc our server Rebecca was insanely slow with taking our drink order and delivering them, bringing the bill, etc. But what she lacked in efficiency she made up for with double the charm and entertainment. So we forgave her. She brought DS cupcakes for his bday and packaged up six more for us to take home. By now, Wishes had started so I booked it across the concourse to watch it. This turned out to be a bit of a bust instead of pixie dusted timing due to a lack of communication. The kids wanted to save watching it for the next night and wanted to go home, so whole we saw it, it wasn't as magical with the complaints of, "C'mon. Let's just go" in the background. Next time, I will be more clear about my intentions. It's one of the challenges on a trip like this with teens. They want to know and understand everything and voice their opinions on what we do. I need to involve them more in the planning and be mindful of the varied communication methods that works for each of them. (For example, I texted everyone a list of our MK day plan, ride by ride, including food breaks). That calmed and informed my two older girls but my son still needs to ask what's next every ten minutes. If I referred him to the list he would just say, I know you sent that but I need something to talk about! (Extrovert much?!)

Friday, April 4, the 6 am alarm came all too soon but the lyre of our last Disney Day at MK fueled us to get out of bed.

Ate in the room and on the road by 7 am. Got a close parking spot at TTC and were the second people in the line we we're in. At 8, they let us through the turnstiles and up to the railroad bridge. We were in the front row. Dh teased me about the merits of waiting 90 minutes to get into the park just to save time in lines. I told him there's something magical about being the first ones in line to get into the park. One family near us were confused thinking it was EMH day. Oops, they thought it was Thursday. They had a British accent... Maybe they lost track if days during their travels? Another group was ticked off that EMH wasn't every day and argued with the CM that it wasn't clearly communicated by Disney. Whatever...

We chatted with the CM for a bit and she did a good job of trying to ease the frustrations of those misinformed groups. We head over to Space Mtn first and learned there's a new rope drop procedure. You can only get so far into Tomorrowland and they hold the whole group until 9 am exactly with CMs walking ahead of the crowd, until the crowd overtakes them. I don't understand the logic of this but I'm not a crowd control expert. However, IMO this contributes to Space's line ballooning in wait time so quickly when you have everyone stacked up like that. It was chaos. But still, we were on in minutes.

Our touring plan was:
Space
Mermaid
Philharmagic
Small world
Haunted mansion
Pirates
Dole whip (longest line if day at 10-15 minute wait)
Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
Sleepy Hollow ice cream cookie sandwiches for lunch during castle stage show (it's vacation tradition, they're Huge and only $4.19)
Laugh Factory (3 of our jokes were used)
TTC (2x)
Tom Sawyers Island
Festival of Fantasy parade (sat by LTT)
Splash (FP'd - SB was 50 min)
Break back at hotel 4-7. Ate room service, swam, napped
Returned to MK - it was 7:45 as we entered. I tried staking out a spot for the six of us while dh and kids did a few rides. I was getting crowded out w/o their extra bodies to hold their ground. And people made negative comments about me trying to do this. Since when is it unacceptable to have just one or two people save spots for a family? I didn't know that. So I texted them to come back. They'd only done Stitch during that time.

It was 8:30 when they got back. So we played the Family Feud app while we waited. MSEP was great. We stood up to wait for celebrate the Magic and Wishes from our same spots. The 11 pm parade spectators rushed the curb before our butts left the pavement. Crazy! Some lady tapped me on the shoulder and was rattling at me in a foreign language. I have no clue what she was saying but I didn't move and I told my kids to plant their feet and hold their ground after waiting there since 7:45. Celebrate the Magic was phenomenal. First time we saw it and we were all in awe.

Afterwards, we used FPs to rude Big Thunder (SB was only 10 mins). Then walked onto Haunted Mansion and Laugh Factory where there was a magical moment when my dd3 got picked out of crowd to talk to monster Marty. He asked her what she wanted to be when she grows up an she said, "A Disney Imagineer."

The monster's expression and response was very cute and sweet. A very tender-hearted moment.

We ended our night the way we started it, with a rude on Space Mtn. (Pretty much a walk-on).

Walked through the castle and took pics with the Indian on Main Street (tradition). Watched the Goodnight Kiss from right in front of the train station, then departed via monorail.

Was a magical day/night.

Notes:
When switching BTMR to a later time during the day, I selected 8:30-9:30 and it automatically switched to 10-11 after I hit "done." It worked out tho. We just went to the earlier parade instead if the later one. I think that was the better choice for us In Hindsight.

Around 10:30, I tried moving our afternoon Space, BTMR and Splash FPs to earlier or later so we could get to our break sooner but no other Space or Splash FPs were available. We were a party of 6. Changed Space to diff things throughout the day but never ended up needing it as all rides were walk on after Wishes (except PP with a posted 45 minute wait) and dh had no desire to do that one.

Throughout the day, there were still lots of people in the FP kiosk lines. Idk how they compare to pre-offsite booking but I found them to be longer than what I'd want to wait in to book FPs.

We used a similar touring strategy both days as we have in the past. Hit rope drop at a recommended park, do our fave headliners first, have a general ride list order in mind, build in breaks midday and hit up rides again in the 90 minutes before close.

We avoided EMH this time since we were offsite. We also toured in a more consecutive fashion, moving from one land to the next. And we stuck together more since there was no need to traverse the parks to grab FPs and come back later. I'm usually the FP runner and I appreciated this the most bc I also probably cherish the little moments of family time the most.

Also, we did not see the enormous amounts of FPers being let onto rides in front of SBers. Again, maybe we got lucky and found ourselves one step ahead of the crowds during a lull between Spring Break and Easter weeks.

Dh said he thinks this was one of our best Disney trips. We can count on one hand how many lines we had to stand in over 20 minutes. I had been prepping them for the worst based on the wait times I was seeing the week before our trip, the pics on here and the horror stories posted here. He now thinks I'm crazy! There were times we did feel one step ahead like when we walked onto HM and as we exited a mass crowd entered. Or when we walked into Laugh Factory and were the only people in there but when we looked behind us five minutes later the preshow room was packed.

My net opinion on FP+ is neutral. I like what I think it could be at it's optimal efficiency but the technological malfunctions we encountered on Tuesday were dissatisfying. Also, we found we only got value out if one FP each day and I was left feeling like that was due to a combo of short SB wait times and the current rules/constraints of the system.

As a group, we did everything we wanted to and then some. Individually, we all make compromises for the sake of family consensus. (Ie, I would've like to do BTMR or Splash again but the family didn't want to get wet and wanted the hotel swim break more). The rest of the fam wasn't interested in FOF but was willing to take ride time out of their day to watch it we me and dd3. I pretty much categorize the choices we must make for FP+ the same way I do compromises for the family. You simply prioritize, make the best choices you can with the info you have, be willing to adapt and be flexible and roll with a potentially less than perfect outcome but determine to enjoy the journey knowing that we may not be able to do, see, experience all that life (or Disney) has to offer and that is okay.

Great report! Do you think 2 nights at universal resort is enough and then a switch to disney? Disney first on a trip or universal first?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter