Living Seas??? Dolphins??

Mel6197

Mrs. Public Works
Hi all

Well our Oct trip is coming up way to SLOWLY!! LOL.. Here is my question I know you all can answer for me ;)
Last time while we were at the LIving Seas, we did the movie, then the elevator ride. It let us out into a Big Room where all I remember seeing is a tunnle type area with LOTS of Big Ulgy Fish, Really nothing to pretty.. From what Ive read there is supposed to be Manitees, and Dolphins..

My Daughter ADORES Dolphins (what 6yr old girls doesnt right :rolleyes: )

Well if they do have Dolphins, where are there? And what else is there to see? What did I miss of this attraction, It just didnt catch my fancy, Maybe I missed something.. Thanks a bunch all

We were there this past June and there were two manatees in their tank. One had been injured by a boat and the other had been orphaned. There were dolphins in the main tank, but they were difficult to see from the lower level. There are some exhibits on th lower level in the smaller tanks. I would view this as more of a science museum type exhibit rather than a "wow" attraction....My wife enjoyed it as a break from the heat and over stimulation.. steve c

The last time I was at the Living Seas they had special times when the Dolphins would interact with a diver in the tank. As I recall it was sometype of Dolphin/communication presentation. At other times the Dolphins came into the main viewing tank and into their private tank (could not see them) at their own will. I do not believe when I was there the times of the Dolphin/Diver interaction were published in the EPCOT brochure but I asked a CM. I am going to EPCOT in December and would like to know these times before hand to plan my visit to the Living Seas to correspond. There is a behind the scenes Dolphin Program at EPCOT. Not sure of the age restrictions or cost. Also if your daughter is really into Dolphins I would check out Discovery Cove for a future trip. Discovery Cove is a once in a lifetime experience.

"Bob" and "Rainier" are the two resident dolphins at Living Seas. You can occasionally see them in the big tank, but they do have another area they can swim to in order to be away from the public. So if you do not see them, they are probably "hiding out."

In the mornings (M-F) there is a tour called Dolphins in Depth. It costs about $140 per person and you have the opportunity to meet Bob & Rainier up close and personally. However, I do not know if they allow children on that tour -- it may be adults only. You don't actually swim with them -- you stand on a platform in the water and the dolphins are free to approach you (or not).

There are scheduled times when a diver does "tricks" with Bob & Rainer. You can call Guest Services when you arrive and ask what times these are each day and then schedule your visit then. During this time they can be easily seen in the upper and lower viewing areas. The diver/CM is usually more easily seen in the lower area. I'd recommend staking out a spot 5 - 10 mins. in advance.

For a non-Disney dolphin treat, check out Discovery Cove at SeaWorld. You can actually swim with dolphins there. Reservations are required and fill up fast, so I would call about this ASAP.

Hi Mel6197,

We were at Epcot in July and got some
great video of the dolphins in the big tank.
We were at one of the windows near
the manatee tank and saw the people
doing the dolphins in depth. The neat
thing about it was our view from under the
water. All you could see of the people were
their legs( they were standing on top of the
viewing area in the center of the aquarium).
It was really fun to see the dolphin getting
ready to jump out of the water and then when
they reentered the water after their jump.
It was a different perspective to see it all from.
My kids and I loved it.

When we did Dolphins in Depth, the trainer said that the dolphins aren't allowed in with the other fish much because they are too "playful" and would spin the turtles and toss rays, etc. The dolphins' area is both in view and behind the scenes and the dolphins are free to go either place.

Well

From what Ive read from you all, I missed alot of the Living Seas.. LOL.. All I remember is that tunnle with fish, Not much else.. So I guess I'll be going again and actually asking some CMs where to find all these other animals.. Thanks a bunch all:jester:

We just saw them last Tuesday. They were swimming directly into the glass where people were standing. It was amazing!
The kids also loved the stingrays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter