Local Foods Not Available Elsewhere?

I’m surprised New Bedford has it. I’m in RI.Autocrat is a RI business
Yeah I knew it was from RI at least that's how he explained it to us when we first tried it (because I had never even heard of such a thing as coffee syrup before). I know you can buy Autocrat from Amazon though (at a high markup I'm sure). He gets it from his brother sometimes too who still lives in New Bedford and then ships it here to our area. I'm not sure what the store inventory is out there in all honesty but they get it somehow lol.

I have never seen "horseshoes" outside of central Illinois. Of course Indiana is famous for tenderloin sandwiches...however I have seen them at Culvers (a restaurant chain based out of Wisconsin) which would lead me to believe tenderloin sandwiches might be available outside of IN.

I have never seen "horseshoes" outside of central Illinois. Of course Indiana is famous for tenderloin sandwiches...however I have seen them at Culvers (a restaurant chain based out of Wisconsin) which would lead me to believe tenderloin sandwiches might be available outside of IN.
Yes, most diners and supper clubs here have a tenderloin sandwich... in addition to Culvers.

There's this specific pizza from a place (a worker-owned coop) called the Cheese Board in Berkeley, California. It used to be somewhat unique, but they've worked with several similar coops (the Arizmendi Collective) to allow them use of the same recipe and techniques. I've been to some of the other locations. Some are pretty good, but one in San Francisco was really tiny even though they charged a bunch. I was talking to another customer, and she indicated that each slice is about half the size of the original version from Cheese Board.

photo-home-newsevents-right.jpg

It's kind of difficult to describe other than it's always vegetarian and the price for a slice is always 1/8th of a whole pie. Anyone buying a slice or a pie will get an extra piece tossed in. There's never any tomato sauce. The toppings feature one or more types of cheese, and it could contain anything including squash, corn, peppers, mushroom, tomato, etc. A few times they even had peach slices. Over the years I've seen a few that had a lime to squeeze as well as arugula piled on top.

The broccoli pizza from Inside Out was inspired by Arizmendi Emeryville.

Yeah I knew it was from RI at least that's how he explained it to us when we first tried it (because I had never even heard of such a thing as coffee syrup before). I know you can buy Autocrat from Amazon though (at a high markup I'm sure). He gets it from his brother sometimes too who still lives in New Bedford and then ships it here to our area. I'm not sure what the store inventory is out there in all honesty but they get it somehow lol.
The Fall River/New Bedford area is quite close to the RI border.

IMG_1355.jpg

I grew up quite a ways from there (in MA) and, like Leebee said above, coffee syrup was pretty common there, too, so I think it worked its way from RI to different parts of MA, and even New England - certainly those areas near the border, especially.

View attachment 441114

I grew up quite a ways from there (in MA) and, like Leebee said above, coffee syrup was pretty common there, too, so I think it worked its way from RI to different parts of MA, and even New England - certainly those areas near the border, especially.

yup. Probably because its easy to drive to RI from really anywhere near Boston. Del's lemonade is available in my little area of the Greater Boston. its my favorite!!

You can go to the website, I believe it's cincyfavs or cincyfavorites and order skyline, larosas, montgomery inn, graeters and I believe gliers goetta and queen city brats and metts to be delivered, granted I believe they send either the frozen or canned chili and canned sauce - but its better than nothing :)
So let's just say that maybe when I was 30 weeks pregnant I may have woken up at 3 in the morning and ordered cans off of amazon. :) And yes I have ordered from cincy favorites before. I can actually find graeters now up here in New Hampshire.

View attachment 441114

Yup it's close so that makes sense. We've visited up there before and visited his family once but I'm not really familiar with right there in New Bedford as I've only been there once. Only once did we drive into RI. Most of the trips were Cape Cod and Boston related.

I found these cookies at one of those road side fruit stands that are prevalent in Georgia (peach) and Florida (orange). These little cookies are just so good! Crispy, not too sweet and an amazingly fresh peach or key lime flavor. Haven't found them anywhere else...told DH we have to go back up to GA to see his mother again, just so I can stop and buy more cookies!!

Byrd's Famous Cookies https://www.byrdcookiecompany.com/product/georgia-peach-cookies/cookies

I guess you’ll have to let their website know..

View attachment 441034

As far as the honey dill, I have no idea. It’s ketchup or nothing for me lol

"The company began as Old Dutch Products Co. in 1934. They originated in St. Paul, Minnesota, but moved to Minneapolis in 1937. In 1968, they moved again, this time to Roseville, Minnesota, where they remain today.

Old Dutch opened a plant in Winnipeg, Manitoba, in 1954 to manufacture chips for the Canadian market. The head office for Canadian operations remains in Winnipeg.
Today, their American arm is officially called Old Dutch Foods, Inc., and their Canadian arm is Old Dutch Foods, Ltd. They celebrated their 70th anniversary in 2004 with a line of television commercials.

Old Dutch Foods acquired Humpty Dumpty Snack Foods in a C$26.7 million takeover bid in 2006.[3]"

Looks like, started here in MN, opened a plant in Winnipeg, then an offshoot, XXX, Ltd. started. Same company, two branches, original from MN.

I only knew it was local as it was a field trip in 4th grade. One everyone looked forward to - free chips at the end of the tour!

Cheese curds

none of the regular stores sell them here but costco does.

Brown bread in a can (yum!)

my mom used to serve this when i was a kid-dh still cannot wrap his mind around what canned bread is (do they still even make it? i have'nt seen it in decades.).

the only product i covet that i cannot get locally (anywhere in the u.s. for that matter) is a brand of dried soup and grain salad mixes from canada. whenever anyone travels up i beg them to keep an eye out at any store they can find it at and smuggle me some across the boarder.

In my little corner of eastern Kentucky where I grew up, all of us expatriates who return home get Giovanni's Pizza (a local chain), Heiners bread and Snyders potato chips (for some reason the pretzels are widely available but the potato chips are only available in a small area).

You can't get good Cannoli outside of Boston and New York

You can't get good Mexican food outside of Southern California

I used to live in Oregon and after thinking about my post the other day of Cinci stuff I realize I miss Abba zaba bars.

Sonoran hot dogs - but only in the southern part of the state. The Sonoran hot dogs in the Phoenix area are terrible
Carne Seca - like shredded beef, but tastier
fry bread tacos
prickly pear fruit anything
salsa on cheeseburgers

You can't get good Cannoli outside of Boston and New York

You can't get good Mexican food outside of Southern California
While I do feel like we have maybe more Americanized Mexican food on average and as a generality throughout the country we also have more authetic style as well. This happens more when you have pockets with higher populations of Hispanics than other areas.

If anyone knows what ValPak coupons are the vast majority of the coupons included that are food are for Mexican restaurants in my area and no it's not just for On the Border and the like.

What I think though may be totally true is different pockets may have particular styles of Mexican food and that could simply be just the case of where people have originally come from and what they've grown up with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter