Locals-Weather question

We've done just one July visit a few years ago and the weather was absolutely perfect. I'd been watching weather reports and nearly cancelled because it was showing a heat wave (mid 90s) coming right when we were going to be there. Was sooo close to bailing but thank heavens we didn't because right before we arrived that forecast changed and we enjoyed sun and highs of 78-80 for the week.

This is SUPER common here. You can't trust a forecast more than 3 days out.

We'd be there July 4-9, which looks like the low/mid 80's as of now. But... I suppose it could change?
The good news is that even if it is 80°, it doesn’t really get humid here… like it does in my hometown of Chicago. 80° isn’t a problem, usually. Moreover, there’s often a light breeze blowing so sitting in the shade for an hour+ is perfectly comfortable. .

I have a beach-weather related question if anyone is able to help! Our long-awaited trip is this week!!! We are traveling from Colorado. We are planning to have a break from the parks this Friday, and head to Newport Beach that day. As of right now, the forecast is showing that it will be a high of around 68-degrees that day at the beach. Is that going to be too cold to enjoy the water? Should we plan to mostly just build sandcastles and stay out of the ocean?
I would love to hear from locals who have maybe been to the beach recently. We are so excited to see the ocean, but I want to prepare my kids mentally if being in the water isn't going to be enjoyable at that temp. How can we make the most of it?
Thank you!

I don’t live there(I was born there and family is all from there) but I keep hearing the last few years — even more so this last one has been off. We are coming over Christmas & New Years and I was sitting here wondering if I should bring a swimsuit lol

Wow, I'm in the UK - for the last week and a bit it has been 26-28 C everyday! We're lucky to get 2-3 days in a row usually!

I think we have stolen your weather :sunny:

I have a beach-weather related question if anyone is able to help! Our long-awaited trip is this week!!! We are traveling from Colorado. We are planning to have a break from the parks this Friday, and head to Newport Beach that day. As of right now, the forecast is showing that it will be a high of around 68-degrees that day at the beach. Is that going to be too cold to enjoy the water? Should we plan to mostly just build sandcastles and stay out of the ocean?
I would love to hear from locals who have maybe been to the beach recently. We are so excited to see the ocean, but I want to prepare my kids mentally if being in the water isn't going to be enjoyable at that temp. How can we make the most of it?
Thank you!
It will probably be chilly. The water is not warm here, it’s usually about 60-65F with the warmest water in Aug/Sep topping out at close to 70F. This time of year the water is in the low 60s and with a chilly day can be difficult to stay warm, the marine layer will likely not burn away until the afternoon, if at all.

If we go to the beach in June we usually bring a sweater and a blanket and don’t get in the water until the sun comes out. If I’m surfing I will still wear a wetsuit (a thinner one) until late July or Aug

It will probably be chilly. The water is not warm here, it’s usually about 60-65F with the warmest water in Aug/Sep topping out at close to 70F. This time of year the water is in the low 60s and with a chilly day can be difficult to stay warm, the marine layer will likely not burn away until the afternoon, if at all.

If we go to the beach in June we usually bring a sweater and a blanket and don’t get in the water until the sun comes out. If I’m surfing I will still wear a wetsuit (a thinner one) until late July or Aug
Agree with all of this. We’re seeing some seriously heavy June Gloom this year too (for non-locals, a heavy marine layer that comes onshore every night and hopefully burns off around noon). Water temp right now in Huntington is 61°, and it’s cloudy with an onshore breeze that's going to make burning that cloud cover off more difficult, so def. spring suit weather. Here is the view in my back yard right now:
IMG_7509.jpeg

If you’re not going down to catch a morning swell, very few locals are heading to the beach in the morning until at least July.

I'll guarantee you though, if you walk through the parks or the hotels, you'll see at least one tourist who managed to get lobstered (typically one side only) because they didn't realize you can still get burned through light cloud cover (or the sun finally came out and they were going to get their tan on no matter what).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter