logo Disney plans targeted hiring freeze and job cuts, according to a memo from CEO Bob Chapek

Plutofan

DIS Veteran
Disney Leaders-
As we begin fiscal 2023, I want to communicate with you directly about the cost management efforts Christine McCarthy and I referenced on this week’s earnings call. These efforts will help us to both achieve the important goal of reaching profitability for Disney+ in fiscal 2024 and make us a more efficient and nimble company overall. This work is occurring against a backdrop of economic uncertainty that all companies and our industry are contending with.
While certain macroeconomic factors are out of our control, meeting these goals requires all of us to continue doing our part to manage the things we can control—most notably, our costs. You all will have critical roles to play in this effort, and as senior leaders, I know you will get it done.
To be clear, I am confident in our ability to reach the targets we have set, and in this management team to get us there.
To help guide us on this journey, I have established a cost structure taskforce of executive officers: our CFO, Christine McCarthy and General Counsel, Horacio Gutierrez. Along with me, this team will make the critical big picture decisions necessary to achieve our objectives.
We are not starting this work from scratch and have already set several next steps—which I wanted you to hear about directly from me.
First, we have undertaken a rigorous review of the company’s content and marketing spending working with our content leaders and their teams. While we will not sacrifice quality or the strength of our unrivaled synergy machine, we must ensure our investments are both efficient and come with tangible benefits to both audiences and the company.
Second, we are limiting headcount additions through a targeted hiring freeze. Hiring for the small subset of the most critical, business-driving positions will continue, but all other roles are on hold. Your segment leaders and HR teams have more specific details on how this will apply to your teams.
Third, we are reviewing our SG&A costs and have determined that there is room for improved efficiency—as well as an opportunity to transform the organization to be more nimble. The taskforce will drive this work in partnership with segment teams to achieve both savings and organizational enhancements. As we work through this evaluation process, we will look at every avenue of operations and labor to find savings, and we do anticipate some staff reductions as part of this review. In the immediate term, business travel should now be limited to essential trips only. In-person work sessions or offsites requiring travel will need advance approval and review from a member of your executive team (i.e., direct report of the segment chairman or corporate executive officer). As much as possible, these meetings should be conducted virtually. Attendance at conferences and other external events will also be restricted and require approvals from a member of your executive team.
Our transformation is designed to ensure we thrive not just today, but well into the future—and you will hear more from our taskforce in the weeks and months ahead.
I am fully aware this will be a difficult process for many of you and your teams. We are going to have to make tough and uncomfortable decisions. But that is just what leadership requires, and I thank you in advance for stepping up during this important time. Our company has weathered many challenges during our 100-year history, and I have no doubt we will achieve our goals and create a more nimble company better suited to the environment of tomorrow.
Thank you again for your leadership.
-Bob

nonetheless, Disney is actively advertising for CM's at WDW.

I worked for a Fortune 100 company for many years as a director. His email is almost identical to ones we received during recessions and downturn economic times. I'm not excusing him and I'm not a Chapek fan, but this is the same as any other major company. So many companies are announcing major layoffs daily right now.

You limit travel and conference attendance, freeze open positions, offer early retirement, keep hiring in the necessary areas (CMs, nurses, whatever needed for that industry), and cross your fingers at the administrative and corporate levels that you don't get the boot. From my experience (not that I was laid off) and my former company, if you did get the boot you got a pretty good severance package (not that it makes it less painful).

And it isn't always the low men/women on the totem poll, there are plenty of middle managers and up who get the notice, too.

Just my two cents FWIW.

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked for a Fortune 100 company for many years as a director. His email is almost identical to ones we received during recessions and downturn economic times. I'm not excusing him and I'm not a Chapek fan, but this is the same as any other major company. So many companies are announcing major layoffs daily right now.

You limit travel and conference attendance, freeze open positions, offer early retirement, keep hiring in the necessary areas (CMs, nurses, whatever needed for that industry), and cross your fingers at the administrative and corporate levels that you don't get the boot. From my experience (not that I was laid off) and my former company, if you did get the boot you got a pretty good severance package (not that it makes it less painful).

And it isn't always the low men/women on the totem poll, there are plenty of middle managers and up who get the notice, too.

Just my two cents FWIW.
It’s definitely not unique, it’s applicable to all publicly held companies, but it doesn’t have to do with just economic downturns. A company can have a hugely profitable year that didn’t meet shareholder expectations, so cost cutting commences. Wall Street and the stock market ruin everything they touch in the name of shareholders.

Wait, I thought there was a staffing shortage? I have whiplash.
Haha was down for an interview last week on Disney's dime, guess I won't expect that callback.
nonetheless, Disney is actively advertising for CM's at WDW.
My daughter just got hired. She has her first training in a week. Hopefully that goes forward.

"Second, we are limiting headcount additions through a targeted hiring freeze. Hiring for the small subset of the most critical, business-driving positions will continue, but all other roles are on hold. Your segment leaders and HR teams have more specific details on how this will apply to your teams."

I would say most Disney World positions would fall under "business-driving" aka income generating positions. I was down last month passing giant billboards on I-4 and hearing on the car radio about WDW Job Fairs coming up with several positions listed. I think the parks division will need to continue to hire.

"Second, we are limiting headcount additions through a targeted hiring freeze. Hiring for the small subset of the most critical, business-driving positions will continue, but all other roles are on hold. Your segment leaders and HR teams have more specific details on how this will apply to your teams."

I would say most Disney World positions would fall under "business-driving" aka income generating positions. I was down last month passing giant billboards on I-4 and hearing on the car radio about WDW Job Fairs coming up with several positions listed. I think the parks division will need to continue to hire.

Yes, this is most likely more for corporate jobs and studio positions, not front-line cast members at the parks.. They're so cheap anyway that it wouldn't account for much. Entertainment though may be affected.

Never stopped them from cutting there in the past.

Oh, they certianly have, but I think that right now they aren't looking at those kinds of positions. They need them desperately at the moment. It's going to be the other divisions that get hit harder.

Just my two cents FWIW.

I know. I was having deja vu. For a minute, I thought I had a nightmare thinking I had gone back to work :rotfl2:

That was last month; this is this week. I have worked for companies that release new job positions one day and then revoke them the next or a couple of days later after quarterly earnings announcements. Just saw this with my husband's employer, a highly profitable company. I don't think they consider many positions to be "business-driving" or "income generating", even in the parks, except maybe their own positions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter