logo Disney plans targeted hiring freeze and job cuts, according to a memo from CEO Bob Chapek

Not sure if this is true or not, but I was chatting with a guy on the monorail a few years ago that claimed to have previously worked in IT for Disney, and he claimed that in some places, they were still running Windows 95. Could be a complete lie, but that's what he said.
That echos what I was told by a friend that knows the Disney back end, pre-covid he'd said that they were running on outdated hardware and software. When I hear about all the issues with ADRs and other guest experiences I figure they are still using that old hardware ;)

Anyone else remember Okidata 182 dot matrix printers? Setting up serial port connections? Totally unknown if Win 95 in use or not, but if something has been working...
https://yourmileagemayvary.net/2022/06/13/why-do-they-still-use-dot-matrix-printers-at-airports/
Back when I worked in the airline industry, the last 6-bit computer (yes, SIX-BIT - not 8) was retired... I think it was like 2016? It was a pain for us to talk to it, since it did not understand ASCII.

Back when I worked in the airline industry, the last 6-bit computer (yes, SIX-BIT - not 8) was retired... I think it was like 2016? It was a pain for us to talk to it, since it did not understand ASCII.
It's a matter of perspective. You're still a young one.
I remember working with "dirty purples" in one of my first jobs. In college I had to learn IBM's punch card system. That is now in the Smithsonian.

It's a matter of perspective. You're still a young one.
I remember working with "dirty purples" in one of my first jobs. In college I had to learn IBM's punch card system. That is now in the Smithsonian.
I guess I can top that one, Ms Bibbidi:
When I was in High School, we got the States very first punch card system. We learned how to sort with that system. We thought we were big time, LOL. We also got the first computer system and we learned on it, wiring, etc. It was unheard of in schools at that time. I don't know why our rural school system got those things, but everyone was amazed and didn't know what to do with them. I didn't think they would be a big deal. LOL! Little did I know.
So I learned to program a computer and use the punch card system while in HS at the age of 16!

Is that quote from Chapek real? If so he's dumb as a brick and that's probably insulting to the brick.
Yes. The statement is a quote from Chapek. It was in an interview he gave to The Hollywood Reporter during D23 on about November 10, 2022.
Notice in this statement he states that one of the things Disney has done that is a new management decision is to cap the number of annual passes they have distributed. Before Chapek, sales of new annual passes were on demand. There wasn't a limit on the number they distributed.

I guess I can top that one, Ms Bibbidi:
When I was in High School, we got the States very first punch card system. We learned how to sort with that system. We thought we were big time, LOL. We also got the first computer system and we learned on it, wiring, etc. It was unheard of in schools at that time. I don't know why our rural school system got those things, but everyone was amazed and didn't know what to do with them. I didn't think they would be a big deal. LOL! Little did I know.
So I learned to program a computer and use the punch card system while in HS at the age of 16!
Good story.
When my employer put the first computer on my desk we worked in DOS. We didn't have Windows. It had been invented but not distributed yet. Anyway, there was a "help" button. My employer was in the DoD/Defense industry. We were so big. The goal was to send a document across some miles and then back so both sides could show suggested edits. This was early 1980s -- pre-internet. When I ran into a problem and pressed the "help" problem an engineer appeared at my door to help. Automated Business Machines was stationing real engineers in our building to help users. We were among the first non-computer-engineer users to interface with it. I was so overwhelmed. They also took away the secretary/receptionist assigned to me so I had no choice but to learn to use it! T-U-F D-U-T-Y.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter