• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lone Ranger - No Spoilers

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Disney released The Lone Ranger this week in movie theaters. Wondering how many of us went to see it and what your general reaction was.

For the benefit of those that haven't seen it, please do not include an "spoilers" in your review. :3dglasses

I saw it today and it was much better than I'd expected, having heard bad things about it. My main problem with it was that they seemed to think they had to mock the genre. When they played it straight, I thought it was a great western with lots of suspense and a well-crafted story.

I saw it yesterday and I thought it was a FUN movie. I was also expecting worse, but was pleasantly surprised. It had a lot of laughs, which helped since I am not a Western/Cowboy movie fan.

Also - throughout the movie, I kept thinking to myself "PLEASE don't add Johnny Depp to BTMRR."

popcorn::

Figuring out if the movie is worth seeing in the theaters, or if I should wait for Netflix?

I wasn't overly impressed but I will say this though, for as long of a movie as it is, I didn't feel there were any slow parts. That being said, its worth a matinee price to see it in theaters, imho.

I saw it yesterday and I thought it was a FUN movie. I was also expecting worse, but was pleasantly surprised. It had a lot of laughs, which helped since I am not a Western/Cowboy movie fan.

Also - throughout the movie, I kept thinking to myself "PLEASE don't add Johnny Depp to BTMRR."

popcorn::

Oh, now I wouldn't mind them adding JD to BTMRR!

Figuring out if the movie is worth seeing in the theaters, or if I should wait for Netflix?

It's worth seeing it on a big screen. There's some big action in it.

I agree--I worried about the length, but it never dragged. I didn't think they were mocking the genre; the original is pretty campy. There were a couple of horse gags that might have been a little beyond that, but I thought it was just enough to bring in some of the younger audience. (Not as funny as an undead monkey, though...) And if they don't add JD to BTM, how about adding Armie Hammer instead??? I could definitely get on board with that! We really enjoyed it.

Disney hopes this will be their next franchise film series like the Pirate films, but I believe they missed the mark by not making this film with a solid PG rating. With the violence and brothel scene, this film pushes its PG-13 rating. As a result, this is not a film for families with young children despite being under the Disney label. Without the revenue from young families, it will most probably not meet the financial expectations of the studio. Also, since it is inappropriate for young children, this is a film that will be difficult if not impossible to bring into the parks. I also felt a bit cheated with the closing credits that led to an expectation of another scene, without the payoff.

I remember seeing the original series in syndication when I was young, and enjoyed it. I thought this film was simply okay, but the producers couldn't make up their minds if they wanted a realistic, gritty, film of the violent Old West or a humorous, buddy film so they tried to combine both. Despite being glad I saw it, I have no desire to see it again nor own it on DVD.

Disney hopes this will be their next franchise film series like the Pirate films, but I believe they missed the mark by not making this film with a solid PG rating. With the violence and brothel scene, this film pushes its PG-13 rating. As a result, this is not a film for families with young children despite being under the Disney label. Without the revenue from young families, it will most probably not meet the financial expectations of the studio. Also, since it is inappropriate for young children, this is a film that will be difficult if not impossible to bring into the parks. I also felt a bit cheated with the closing credits that led to an expectation of another scene, without the payoff.

I remember seeing the original series in syndication when I was young, and enjoyed it. I thought this film was simply okay, but the producers couldn't make up their minds if they wanted a realistic, gritty, film of the violent Old West or a humorous, buddy film so they tried to combine both. Despite being glad I saw it, I have no desire to see it again nor own it on DVD.

I agree, Michael. I think they should have either made a campy Western or a real Western (my vote would be for a real Western, without all the self-mockery and stupid jokes), but this one went the wrong direction on either side. It was most definitely not a family-friendly film, though the brothel scene was a lot milder than it might have been (have you seen "The Internship"?), but the violence is excessive. I spent quite a bit of the movie with my fists stuffed into my mouth.

We loved the movie. Just enough serious to counter the campy.

I've seen several reviews mentioning that the film is about an hour longer than it needed to be -anyone else here that as seen it feel the same way? We held off seeing it this weekend -maybe we'll catch it next weekend.

We saw it on the Fantasy - it's definitely something to see on the big screen. The trailer didn't peak my interests enough to actually buy a ticket, but now that I've seen it, I'm not ashamed to admit I was wrong. ;-)

So, yes, it's worth the price of a ticket - I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Saw the Lone Ranger last night in Ultra AVX and jt was a great movie jonny depp play a great tonto.

I wasn't impressed with the film. It seemed to careen from three stooges type humor to some pretty bad gore and then off to beautiful scenery (which was of Utah, not Texas) before throwing in yet another twist of genre.

I was really hoping for more of the traditional "William Tell Overture" Lone Ranger. And apparently I'm the only person who thinks Johnny Depp can bomb.

I enjoyed it as a Johnny Depp fan and as someone who doesn't like Armie Hammer. I didn't notice it being too long, but then again, I didn't drink a large pop while watching it :rotfl:

I used to watch the reruns when I was a kid and it reminded me a lot of the spirit of the show. Fun and action packed. And I must say, when the "William Tell Overture" started playing, I kept breaking out in a huge grin!

Susan

THis is exactly how I feel. I would LOVE to see it. I think I would really enjoy it and my two oldest children were begging to see it. But with the PG-13 rating and the fact the I have heard over and over that it is a TRUE PG-13 we will be skipping it. It's too bad they went that route. I was really hoping for a PG rating during those weeks it was unrated so we could go as a family. :(

I loved the comedy approach they took with the Lone Ranger. We laughed a lot and I think it was a really fun summer action movie. Now their were some pretty violent gruesome scenes in the movie that I was not expecting...:eek:

Still over all I thought it was a lot of fun..loved Armie Hammer as the Lone Ranger and Johnny Depp was great at Tonto...

Can not forget Silver!! He was also a great actor....:thumbsup2

I can not believe how critics just ripped this movie apart..Geesh what do they expect..It is supposed to be fun and not taken so seriously!!

We are fans!!!!:banana:

I have been waiting for a few years for this movie to finally arrive (after rumors, then canceling, then producing again). I am a big LR fan so, as strange as it sounds, I was pretty nervous from the start and then once it came out, too, especially with PG-13 rating (I have two kids younger than that) and all the bad reviews by critics. I loved the movie and have actually seen it twice now in theaters. If you go for the purpose of wanting to be purely entertained, you will love it. There is definitely a mix of slapstick and serious, which first makes you wonder what sort of movie they were trying to make (a primary critics' complaint). But after seeing it a second time, the back-and-forth actually made a lot more sense and did not seem nearly as stark of a contrast. Depp's Tonto has some deep history that is not particularly pleasant, so his quirky nature is arguably a coping mechanism...they even explain why he wears the bird and the makeup, so those don't even seem as off-putting as I originally thought it might be. Definitely could have dropped a scene or two and easily made it PG rather than PG-13 and opened up their audience quite a lot wider, but as a whole, it was a big ball of fun! I didn't even mind the length personally, although cutting it a bit might have also helped lure a younger/broader audience. Pretty telling that although most of the official movie critics' reviews are bad, most of the real people's reviews are quite good, but with summer blockbusters, that tends to be the way it goes!

I like the movie very much. I was hesitant after reading some reviews, but I would recommend it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter