Long Weekend at Caribbean Beach Resort

maples189

Mouseketeer
IMG_1377.jpg IMG_1381.jpg IMG_1382.jpg IMG_1423.jpg IMG_1425.jpg IMG_1426.jpg IMG_1427.jpg IMG_1428.jpg IMG_1429.jpg IMG_1430.jpg Hi All!

Just got back from a 4 night/ 5 day stay at Caribbean Beach Resort for Labor Day Weekend. Overall we really enjoyed it and would definitely return! This trip we did both waterparks, a resort day, and Epcot!

Day 1: Arrival Day

Driving down took 6 and a half hours for us. We arrived at Caribbean Beach Resort just after 2pm. Got a text around 1pm that our room was ready. I had requested Jamaica top floor before I knew the bridge would be out and decided not to change it and just go with it as it was our first stay at this resort. We got Jamaica 46 2nd floor. We were in 4656. We got a King room as it was just the two of us and we wanted more space. We were conveniently located close to stairs that went right out to our car so that was nice. They don't have elevators so you do have to haul all your stuff up the stairs, but that was okay with us.

The room itself was super clean and smelled new! It was really nice! We had ample amounts of space. The bed was comfy and the bathrooms were super nice! The only thing i noticed was that the fridge tended to be super cold and would actually freeze things, so just make sure to watch the setting on that :)

After we checked in we walked over to OPR. It was about a 10 minute walk. It wasn't too bad. There was a small hill to go up by Trinidad South, but other than that pretty straight forward. We got our refillable mugs and walked back. They also have a boat going back and forth as well as sprinter vans and an internal bus shuttle to make up for the fact that the bridge is out! We didn't feel too inconvenienced and there was always a van ready within 5 minutes so that wasn't an issue either.

After this we headed to Magic Kingdom and walked over to the Contemporary before dinner. They are doing some work on the inside of the glass there but just wanted to walk through and see everything. From there we took the monorail to the Grand Floridian and walked around there for a bit. We eventually walked the path from there to the Polynesian and had dinner at O'hana. We had a 7:55pm reservation and arrived right after 7pm. Checking in early and were seated around 7:20pm. The service and food were awesome! We were seated just behind the window with a view of the castle. We really enjoyed it and would definitely go back! From there we took the monorail back to MK and the bus back to Caribbean Beach and headed to bed!

Day 2: Waterparks Day

We woke up super early to go have breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe before our Waterparks day! we ended up driving over as our reservation was for 7:30am and nothing was running that early. We drove over and got there early. Took our refillable mugs so we got some coffee before our reservation to get us up and running and sat out on the second floor patio by the stairs for a while and enjoyed the sunrise :)

At 7:25am we headed down the the Grand Floridian Cafe. We were the second party to be seated that day. I got the vanilla laced french toast with sausage and BF got the Lox Bagel with Toppings. I'm not going to lie. It took a long time to get our food for only having 2 parties there. My french toast was pretty good albeit the sausage was still pink and definitely under cooked so I didn't eat that. BF's bagel was burnt, but he said the lox were good. Overall we decided we probably wouldn't go back for breakfast as it was just okay and not that great. From there we headed back to CBR via monorail/bus and changed into our waterpark gear.

We decided since we hadn't been to either waterpark we wanted to try both! With the waterpark ticket you can go to both in the same day. We decided to start at Typhoon Lagoon and then head to Blizzard Beach.

Heading to Typhoon Lagoon/Downtown Disney is kind of a pain in the butt. The traffic is awful and takes forever! Definitely if you have reservations at DTD that you leave super early. Like 2 hours early.

Anyways we got to Typhoon Lagoon 10 minutes before opening and got a locker. By 9am we were ready to roll. We did every ride and the lazy river and wave pool by 12pm. We did the crush n gusher coaster 4 times so that one was really fun! The other ones we found to be okay but not worth the waits as they were short and not super thrilling. The lazy river was awesome and super relaxing I could have stayed on that all day.

The wave pool. Not my favorite attraction. I don't see the thrill in being thrown into a 10 ft. wave and having to swim out of it. I didn't like it. BF on the other hand went right up to the rope and rode the waves for 30 minutes. He loved it and thought it was super cool. To each his own lol. We then decided to get lunch at Typhoon Lagoon before heading to Blizzard Beach.

We decided on Typhoon Tilly's. I had the turkey pesto sandwich with handmade chips and BF had the cornbread waffle with pulled pork bbq and slaw. The pesto sandwich was surprisingly good. The bread had delicious herbs and was super soft. The pesto added delicious flavor. The Cornbread waffle was messy and undercooked, but the BBQ meat inside was delicious. We decided this was pretty good and would eat here again! From there we headed out to the buses.

Apparently there is no bus that takes you waterpark to waterpark so we decided to take the bus to Coronado Springs ( the closest resort to Blizzard Beach) and then take the blizzard beach bus from there. This took about an hour waiting on the blizzard beach bus at Coronado took a while. We finally got to blizzard beach right around 2pm.

If you purchase a locker at Typhoon Lagoon it is good all day including at Blizzard Beach so we got there and stowed our stuff.

The ski lift stopped working as soon as we got there so we had to do the hike up the hill. BF did the Summit Plummet first as that's what he really wanted to try. He loved it. I didn't try it. We then hiked up again and did the big family raft ride which was a lot of fun! At this point we were tired from all the stairs so we decided to try their lazy river. This one much longer than Typhoon's and goes through a cave. By the time that was done we did the 2 person tube ride which was much like the one at Typhoon but steeper. Lots of fun! Then they made the announcement about the lightning and we had to get out of the pool. We checked the radar and it didn't look like it was going to stop soon and it was already 3:30 so we decided to head back to the resort and take showers and relax before dinner. Good thing too because the rain didn't stop till around 7pm :)

Around 730 we decided to go get some dinner. WE LOVE boardwalk pizza window, so we decided to mozy over there. I made the mistake of thinking we could bus to epcot and then bus from there to Boardwalk. Since you can go out the back gate of epcot they do not offer a bus to boardwalk. Since we didn't have park hopper passes we couldn't go in and walk through epcot so we had to take another bus to hollywood studios and then walk or boat to boardwalk. This whole ordeal took about 2 hours. We ended up walking because the boat was leaving as we got off the bus. The pizza was delicious. We each got a slice of Signature Pizza ( Spinach, Mushrooms, garlic) and used our refillable mugs at the boardwalk bakery for drinks. I had a 9:40 Beaches and Cream Reservation across the way for dessert so we headed over there next.

We checked in at 9:30pm and sat outside. At 9:45pm another 2 person couple walked up with no reservation and they sat them right away. This made me mad and we decided since we had had the ice cream here before we would forgo this and just head back as we were tired. From there we took the bus to DTD and then caught the bus to Caribbean Beach from there.

As you can tell, we did a lot of bus hopping. It wasn't ideal and added on lots of time, but it was okay.

IMG_1387.JPG IMG_1396.JPG IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG IMG_1443.jpg IMG_1444.jpg IMG_1446.jpg IMG_1447.jpg IMG_1448.jpg IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1454.JPG IMG_1472.jpg IMG_1473.jpg IMG_1442.JPG IMG_1443.jpg IMG_1444.jpg IMG_1446.jpg IMG_1447.jpg IMG_1448.jpg IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1454.JPG IMG_1472.jpg IMG_1473.jpg IMG_1442.JPG IMG_1443.jpg IMG_1444.jpg IMG_1446.jpg IMG_1447.jpg IMG_1448.jpg IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1454.JPG IMG_1472.jpg IMG_1473.jpg IMG_1442.JPG IMG_1443.jpg IMG_1444.jpg IMG_1446.jpg IMG_1447.jpg IMG_1448.jpg IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1454.JPG IMG_1472.jpg IMG_1473.jpg IMG_1442.JPG IMG_1443.jpg IMG_1444.jpg IMG_1446.jpg IMG_1447.jpg IMG_1448.jpg IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1454.JPG IMG_1472.jpg IMG_1473.jpg IMG_1442.JPG IMG_1443.jpg IMG_1444.jpg IMG_1442.JPG IMG_1443.jpg IMG_1444.jpg IMG_1446.jpg IMG_1447.jpg IMG_1448.jpg IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1454.JPG IMG_1472.jpg IMG_1473.jpg Day 3: Resort Day

We decided we wanted to try another sit down breakfast so we headed over to Animal Kingdom Lodge to try Boma. We checked in a little early and were seated about 5 min early which was good because we were hungry. We had a 9:30am reservation. The food and service were both AWESOME! This was my favorite meal the whole trip! We loved the juice ( a mix of Pineapple, Orange and Guava) and the coffee was great as well. My favorite breakfast items were the scrambled eggs, sausage (this time not undercooked) and the French Toast Bread Pudding with Caramel Praline sauce. AMAZING. My boyfriend loved the carving station and the Pap (grits). We got sat in a room overlooking the pool so we had a nice view as well and the service was awesome! We will definitely be returning!

After that we walked around the AKL and looked at the animals and talked to a few nature guides. All very informative. At 10:40am we had signed up to do a Disney Vacation Club preview and they picked us up right out from of animal kingdom lodge and took us straight to the Polynesian Resort where they have their preview center. This lasted about 2 hours. We got to learn about the program, tour the studio and bungalows on the water ( WHICH ARE AMAZING) and learn about pricing. It is definitely something we are looking into purchasing ( This was our 7th trip in 2 years), so for us this made sense. I definitely recommend taking the tour if you are a frequent visitor. Its no pressure ( we did not buy that day , or at all yet) and its very informative. We were also give 3 additional fast passes per person to use on whichever rides we wanted throughout our trip as well as a $50 gift card for our time :).

Once that was over we decided to walk to Pineapple Lanai and get a dole whip! Delicious as usual. By this time it was already close to 2pm so we decided to head back to the resort. We had wanted to check out the outlets on Vineland so we drove over there and took a quick look and came back. They were nice, but we didn't really need anything and have outlets by out house so we didn't buy anything.

This night was our "fancy" dinner night. We always LOVE eating at Le Cellier, but on recommendation of one of my friends and the disboards we decided to try Yachtsman Steakhouse! This is located at the Yacht Club resort. We left early and took the bus to Holly wood Studios. From there we took the boat to Yacht Club. We left plenty of time to spare just in case. The boat was so fun we got to sit on the back and overlook all the hotels!

We got to our 7:30pm reservation a little early and checked in. We were seated right at 7:30pm. When you walk in they show you the showcase butcher box where you see the butcher cutting the meats right in front of you! We had excellent service. To start they give you bread with butter and roasted garlic cloves! Amazing! I then had a caesar salad! This was excellent! It had a whole wedge with the garlicy caesar dressing and lots of parmesean and cracked peppercorn. There were large homemade croutons surrounding it and underneath the wedge was thin proscutto! DELICIOUS! BF had the lobster bisque to start and that was great as well!

For entrees i Had the Filet Mignon in red cabernet sauce with mashed potatoes. It was good, but preferred Le Cellier's Filet over this one. BF had the Kansas City Strip with malted vinegar fries. He liked mine better than his, but still liked it. The fries were super salty.

For dessert we had the Peanut Butter Pretzel bar with Salted Caramel Gelato! It was awesome! Overall a great place with great environment and service. We would probably go back to Le Cellier first, but would still return here!

After this we walked around the boardwalk and strolled through the shops then headed back to the resort via DTD first then bus to Caribbean Beach.

Day 4: Epcot

We didn't wake up as early as planned on this day. I took the sprinter vans around 7:30am to OPR to fill up our mugs with coffee. Took about 30 min round trip. We got down to the buses around 8:45am. Got to the park just in time for our first fast pass - Soarin at 9:25am. We went and did that first, but not before stopping by the fastpass plus kiosk. As mentioned above, we each got 3 additional fast pass + for attending the DVC informational. So we wanted to make sure we understood how to use them. We were informed we must be within our times for our already booked 3 fastpasses in order for them to work and not use the additional ones. The additional ones can be used on any ride in Epcot with the exception of Soarin. We went and rode Soarin after that.

The film for Soarin is starting to get old so I'm glad they are redoing it and building an additional theater. After that we went and got breakfast at Sunshine Seasons in the Land right outside of Soarin. We split the breakfast platter, which was plenty of food for both of us and was quite tasty! Would definitely do that again. We then went and used our fast pass for Nemo that we had pre-booked. After that we had over an our before our last pre-booked fastpass so we decided to go ride Test Track with one of our extra ones.

Test track is my favorite ride at Epcot so that was fun! After that we went and rode Spaceship Earth, our last pre booked fastpass. I then checked the my disney experience app and saw we could visit the fastpass+ kiosk for additional fastpasses. When we got there the one we wanted "living with the land" was open. We decided to book this for 2:55-3:55 since we were going to do the Behind the Seeds tour at 1:30 and would want to ride it afterwards. After this we returned to sunshine seasons and decided we should split something small to hold us over until dinner at 7:30 at Biergarten restaurant in Germany. We split the cuban sandwich with plantain chips. It was overly greasy and neither of us really enjoyed it, but it held us until after the tour.

At 1:30 we waited by Soarin for our Behind the Seeds tour to start! We had an awesome guide, Emir, who was super passionate about the greenhouses and horticulture! We LOVED this tour! I cannot stress enough how awesome and informational it was! It only cost $20 per person and was SO worth it. Pictures below of all the plants and systems we learned about! I even bought a small dragon fruit plant to take home from them to grow in my own garden!

After this we made our way to livin with the land ride to sum up our experience in the greenhouse!

We then decided to head into world showcase and get some snacks. We stopped in Norway for a schoolbread. I didn't get the hype. We thought it was only okay and not awesome. Wouldn't get it again. We started walking towards China and the rain started pouring so we hung out in there for a while watching the acrobats inside until the storm passed.

Next onto the african looking village between china and germany. Here we had a frozen elephant. It is a coke slush with amaretto cream. AMAZING. my favorite new drink in Epcot!

From here we proceeded on to France to get a Peaches and cream macaroon ice cream sandwich which was also amazing and a gran marnier slush!

We stopped in Britain and then on to Canada to watch the lumber jack show. We decided since it was starting to rain again to go to the Disney Visa character spot for our free picture. We waited about 25 min and got that. When we got out of there the rain had stopped so we went to the fastpass plus kiosk and got lucky enough to get another additional fastpass (since we had used living with the land already) for the illuminations fastpass+. I was so excited for this since I had never done it!

We decided to go ride test track 2 more times now that it had reopened from the rain before it rained again. We did that and used our last 2 free fastpasses from the DVC portion. After that we headed to Germany for dinner at Biergarten.

This was probably our most lackluster meal of the trip. The atmosphere and service were good, but the food was only ok. Nothing special and we definitely did not feel like it was worth the money. We finished up here around 8:30pm and headed over to the illuminations fastpass area. IT IS SO WORTH IT! I recommend checking to see if you can get it after your first 3. The view was amazing and so worth it! I would do this again every single time. It was raining the whole time but still awesome. After this we headed back to the resort to catch some sleep.

IMG_1503.JPG IMG_1504.jpg IMG_1505.jpg IMG_1507.jpg IMG_1605.jpg IMG_1613.jpg IMG_1633.jpg IMG_1672.JPG IMG_1675.jpg IMG_1676.jpg

Day 5: Departure Day

The saddest day of the whole trip! We woke up around 830am. Packed up the room and moved everything to the car. Around 10:30am we hopped the bus to Downtown Disney and had lunch at Earl of Sandwich. This is our favorite place to eat here! I had the Italian and BF had the Hawaiian BBQ Chicken. We walked around a little bit through the shops and to see the Boathouse. The Amphicars were so cool! I would love to eat here when we come back next time! After this we headed back to Caribbean Beach and got in the car. Stopped by old Port Royale and filled up our cups one last time and headed home.

Overall we loved the resort and the crowds were low so it was a lot of fun! We would definitely stay here again!!!!

Thank you for sharing your review!

I am confused though, about the refillable mugs. I thought we could only use them at our home resort. I didn't think we were allowed to use them anywhere else.

We arrive in CBR in exactly 3 weeks. I cannot believe it is this close. We have been to DL in 2013 and 2014 but haven't been back to WDW since Dec 2012. I am so looking forward to it!

I am confused though, about the refillable mugs. I thought we could only use them at our home resort. I didn't think we were allowed to use them anywhere else.

We arrive in CBR in exactly 3 weeks. I cannot believe it is this close. We have been to DL in 2013 and 2014 but haven't been back to WDW since Dec 2012. I am so looking forward to it!
I know it's not me that you are asking but, the coffee and hot chocolate are not monitored with the chip. :)

I was thinking about doing the DVC preview thing and I think you might have just talked me into it! Thanks for that and thanks for the review!

You can use them at any resort on disney property for soda, coffee, tea, hot chocolate and water! We took them wherever we ate and saved money on drinks (except at the buffet's because those included drinks :) and the parks!)

I was thinking about doing the DVC preview thing and I think you might have just talked me into it! Thanks for that and thanks for the review!

We found it very informative and not pressured at all. We walked away and now have lots to think about to decide if it is right for us!

You can use them at any resort on disney property for soda, coffee, tea, hot chocolate and water! We took them wherever we ate and saved money on drinks (except at the buffet's because those included drinks :) and the parks!)
hmmmm that is not supposed to work

Glad to hear that the Disney Vacation Club Preview is no pressure for an on the spot purchase. DH and I have always wanted to check it out, but were afraid we would be strong armed into making a decision immediately. Thanks for the info!:earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter