Looking for a bag that doesn’t cause pain

lauritagoddess

Doin' the Plush Rush
I know this gets asked all the time, but I’m looking for recommendations for a good bag. I have so many bags already, but I’ve yet to find one that doesn’t cause some kind of back or neck pain after a long day. My regular bag is a Kipling small backpack and I used to love the Baggallini sling bags. I’m not sure if I’m looking for a sling bag or a backpack. I want something that can fit basics like a wallet, sunscreen and water bottles, that’s lightweight, preferably polyester or something water resistant, but most important, that causes the least amount of pain. All recommendations are much appreciated. Thx!

My favorite is a small Baggallini sling bag, but it looks like you tried that. How about a fanny pack? They're in fashion again! They even make hiking ones that you can attach a water bottle to.

Love my Travelon anti-theft active tour messenger bag. On amazon. The anti-theft is overkill for WDW but excellent if you plan to use on international trips. Like the water bottle holder and water-resistant fabric. Great size for me. Very comfortable cross body bag. Variety of colours.

I use a LUG crossbody bag. Got is from QVC.com. Lots of different sizes. I think most, if not all, are water resistant. Really like the organization. Some have a specific spot for your bottle water. I struggle with back issues and stopped using a backpack. I see a lot of people with the KAVU brand but I have no personal experience with that one.

I am going back to the good old fanny pack myself during the day, after awhile I find any kind of crossbody starts "hurting" at some point.

I use a hiking lumbar pack (aka sporty fanny pack). I have chronic upper back, neck and shoulder issues thanks to a career in dentistry. By carrying the weight of a pack on my hips, I don't strain my upper body. A good pack will have some padding near the body, fold out bilateral water holders, places for clips/carabiners, adjustments that can be "locked" so it stays put once adjusted, expansion panels, sturdy water resistant material. My pack is made by Jansport and is 14 years old! It's been worth the small expense of buying quality.

Check out Osprey's options. They have day packs, fanny packs, slings, etc. I don't claim to have the entire inventory memorized but perhaps Osprey has something smaller like you describe. I have found this brand to be comfortable to wear and useful when digging through the bag.

Does wearing a fanny pack cause any of you lower back pain? I used to wear one years ago but can't remember whether it bothered me or not.

I see a lot of people with the KAVU brand but I have no personal experience with that one.

Does anyone have experience with the Kavu bags?

I just use a Vera Bradley crossbody that's large enough for my hat or visor as well as my sunglasses, not to mention the other items I carry. Those other items have been getting to be fewer and fewer, now that I no longer have to carry all the "yes, mommy has it" items, so my neck and back pain has been diminishing too!

Love my Travelon anti-theft active tour messenger bag. On amazon. The anti-theft is overkill for WDW but excellent if you plan to use on international trips. Like the water bottle holder and water-resistant fabric. Great size for me. Very comfortable cross body bag. Variety of colours.
I used that one on my last trip. It hurt my back on the second day. I carry a water bottle, and it was too much weight for 1shoulder.

I have a few different small lightweight water resistant polyester/nylon crossbody bags plus a cloth Vera Bradley crossbody. They are perfect for the very few necessities that I take to the parks - cc, cash, dr. lic. for ID, medical ins. card, lip balm, phone, maybe a few other small items. You don't even know you're wearing it it's so light - the heaviest thing is the phone.

I work from home full time, so don't carry a backpack all day. But for outings it made such a huge difference to have a real backpack (one weighted, designed for comfort, etc.). I bring this on all vacations I take too. I have a Pantagonia one that I just love and is sooo much for comfortable than anything else I have ever tried. Prior to this I had tried cutzy cross body bags, inexpensive backpacks from target, etc. -- none were that great. And then one Christmas I was looking for something waterproof for my son to bring photo equipment on a hike where he would be submerged in water and knowing how light he is looked for the most highly rated waterproof option that had great ratings for comfort and weight distribution which is the Pategonia backpack I now use for outings.

You might not want a full blown backpack, but wow - what a difference for me when carrying anything.

Here is an article about ones other people recommend. https://bestbackpacklab.com/best-backpacks-for-back-pain/

I had chronic neck/shoulder/back pain, and my physical therapist told me to stop using crossbody bags or carry anything with the weight on one shoulder. She also told me to only carry smaller backpacks (like the size of a Loungefly mini backpack), unless I was using a hiking-style backpack that also had a padded hip strap and a strap at the sternum. I've been following that advice for about 8 years now and no longer have any problems (and have been out of PT for about the same amount of time). The key for me is picking a small backpack and then not over packing it. I have to be very strategic about what I do bring so it's not too heavy. I like the Loungefly mini backpacks, although the straps do slide around a little for me. I can't remember the brands on the other small backpacks I've tried, but the quality wasn't good on any of them.

I have chronic hives, so anything that causes pressure is a problem for me. Thing is..I love my Baggalini crossbody and I hate backpacks, but I have come to the realization that at best I have to swap between the two. I'm starting to look at it like I do shoes, which I find I also need to swap out to keep my feet happy. I use the crossbody when the weather looks good, and the backpack when it looks rainy/chilly depending on the season. I did treat myself to the Loungefly Tiki Room backpack. (not the mini one, more of a small regular backpack). The size is perfect, the straps are well padded, and well it's the Tiki Room so it just makes me a little happier about having to wear a backpack!!!

Waterfly I'm loving this bag. The strap is wide and sits on my shoulder without digging into my neck. The strap can be moved from one side to the other so I can switch from front to back and from side to side very easily. I had to buy a new water bottle slender enough to fit in the side pocket but that was a minor annoyance.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm looking at a lot of different options. It would be easier if I didn't need to be able to carry a water bottle. When I'm at home, I usually just carry a smaller bottle, but at Disney I normally carry a Camelbak bottle. I really miss the days when my son was little and I could put all the heavier stuff in the stroller.

Lately I carry a disposable water bottle on a crossbody lanyard (with a Mickey water bottle strap). Super lightweight.

Everything else slides into a pocket :) Lately I far prefer shorts and leggings with pockets.

Otherwise even my most comfy bags eventually start hurting after several days at the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter