Looking for a washing machine that doesn’t accumulate mold. Warning. Gross pics.

floridafam

DIS Veteran
Like many others, we had a huge mold/mildew problem with our Samsung top load washer. It’s a known design flaw and I was able to get things straightened out with Samsung but now I’m looking for a new washer. I cleaned the machine weekly and used very little soap.

Need recommendations for a new washer.

Attachments

• AB8984B4-ED66-4CB5-BC64-401E77683C56.jpeg
    AB8984B4-ED66-4CB5-BC64-401E77683C56.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 6B85F628-4024-46D3-B76C-2746C5666256.jpeg
    6B85F628-4024-46D3-B76C-2746C5666256.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 1B4C8C90-C813-4D7F-857C-B92B970E66E9.jpeg
    1B4C8C90-C813-4D7F-857C-B92B970E66E9.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 46
I have no experience with Samsung (and after those pics, I never will), but I have always used Whirlpool or Maytag top loaders and have never had a mold or mildew problem. I clean my washer with Affresh every month, so maybe that helps?

Our front load Maytags have never had a problem, we leave the door open most of the time and run a bleach load of towels every week or two. We had a Bosch years ago that had a bit of a mold problem but the open door and bleach loads solved it.

I leave the door open, as well. And I cleaned it regularly. The agitator two piece design is partly the cause as it causes water to get trapped between the metal and the plastic. Also, one of the drain lines is faulty (it is on most all of the machine that do this.)

Samsung knows of the issues. That’s why they refunded me. I hate to think of spending $$$ only to have the same thing happen. I’ve read LG machines also have this problem. We used to buy only Whirlpool and they were okay but had other issues.

I’m loving my new Maytag top-loader. It has a cleaning cycle and while you can time it based on number or loads/months, it also tells you when to clean it with Affresh. While I’m sure some folks have great luck with Samsungs, the local appliance store chain I bought mine from won’t sell Samsung brand washers or dryers.

My prior washer was old school and never needed cleaning, but most of the new models need regular cleaning to avoid mold. It’s a change for me for sure!

I run a hot wash 2-3 x a month with baking soda and vinegar in a Speed Queen HE washer that I don't even personally own since I live in a condo complex and it's a machine for the whole building. Just me and one other tenant even bother to clean the machine because we know that no one in the complex seems to bother or even care. :sad2: I do leave the door and dispenser open after I use the machine and I also clean it out before I use it. I also have a mold allergy so it's vital that it doesn't become a problem since I live in the apartment right above the laundry room. Some tenants close the door of the machine after they've done a wash and that is a real issue. I have to go down to the basement to check on a daily basis. I'm realizing the HE washers do require more care than the older models.

This is similar to another recent thread. Have the front loading LG washer and think it is great have had it for several years and no issues. I leave the door of the washer open for a couple of hours after use so it dries out. Mold/mildew is the result of excess humidity and/or letting standing water sit around. If the machine doesn't drain completely or accumulates lint can be a reason the washer has residual water in the tub. Even on a top loader, I would leave the door open to make sure air can circulate and let it dry out completely.

The LG has a 'tub clean' cycle you can run with Clorox to help sanitize the machine. There are also some commercially available products you can use periodically to do the same thing.

I’ve had just 2 washers in 40 years and both were Whirlpool top loaders. I have never had mold issues. I do leave it open after using.

I have heard many an appliance repair person say to stay away from LG and Samsung appliances - not reliable and parts are a nightmare to get, if they can even be gotten. I would stick with a US made product if you want it to be reliable and repairable (Whirlpool, Maytag, Speed Queen, any others?) and if you wnat it to last foreever - Speed Queen.

I always leave it open when not in use
We do as well although the OP says they have a top loader and ours is a front loader (Electrolux). I however do not do bleach weekly like another poster mentioned. The machine automatically tells you to do a clean washer cycle every 50 cycles so I do that and then do 2 rinse and spin cycles to get excess bleach out.

I've never had that happen, but I'm in the US North East where mold isn't as a big a deal as down South or in other humid climates. I sincerely doubt this has anything to do with the machine itself.
Do you leave it dormant for long periods of time? You can shut the water supply above it and leave the machine open in between uses or when you travel, same for dishwasher.
Maybe washing your towels or sheets with bleach once a month might be enough to prevent that from happening.

I have had a top loader LG for 6 years without issue. No mold and easy to use. Washes quickly. It was very reasonable in price too. It does not have an agitator. When we moved into our home it had a Samsung front loader and it had mold everywhere. I tried to clean it because the last thing I wanted to do was buy a new washer right after our move but nothing worked and our clothes smelled like mold. It was gross. We ended up purchasing the LG because it was low in price and what we could afford at the time, but I like it so much, I would purchase it again. I have heard good things about the GE front loader with microban which supposedly stops mold growth but I have never used it. I really don’t like front loading machines but that is personal preference. Good luck OP.

I really don’t like front loading machines but that is personal preference.
I had always used top loader but when we moved into our home in 2014 I have really liked having a front loader. For me personally I hang/line dry just about everything I own only drying socks,underwear,pj stuff so the front loader gets so much of the excess water out that it doesn't take long to dry whereas top loaders it was a day to a day and a half for drying and when you're hanging all that stuff up it's space being used. I also do a lot of mesh delicate bags because a lot of my stuff are delicates and I watch on delicate so there is a slight con to the front loader which is balancing is a tad different than top loader where I could wash smaller loads more easily.

I had always used top loader but when we moved into our home in 2014 I have really liked having a front loader. For me personally I hang/line dry just about everything I own only drying socks,underwear,pj stuff so the front loader gets so much of the excess water out that it doesn't take long to dry whereas top loaders it was a day to a day and a half for drying and when you're hanging all that stuff up it's space being used. I also do a lot of mesh delicate bags because a lot of my stuff are delicates and I watch on delicate so there is a slight con to the front loader which is balancing is a tad different than top loader where I could wash smaller loads more easily.
I line dry too! Line drying rules. 👍. Actually the newer top loaders get them really dry. They use a lot less water too. But I understand what you are saying. I really think it’s personal preference. And a front loader is probably a billion times nicer if it’s on a pedestal. The Samsung when we moved in was on the floor and my back just killed at the end of the day after doing 4 kids worth of laundry! But if it was higher I could see that being a non-issue.

And a front loader is probably a billion times nicer if it’s on a pedestal.
Oh gosh totally! We are a bit unique here in that we won our washer and dryer but they came with pedestals. I don't think I could have one without one, they are so dang expensive but so needed IMO. I think though my husband even mentioned if one didn't have one we could try and build one out of wood. Bless you for dealing with not having one!

Not going to lie with a top loader at 5ft 3 inches I sometimes had to launch myself to get the small items stuck at the bottom...I should have gotten a step stool :rotfl2: Good to hear newer top loaders are better at spinning than in the past.

I have a Speed Queen top loader that I clean once a month with vinegar and baking soda (as mentioned above). So far it's great. I've had it for a year. It's really the best washer I've ever had. I'll never go back to a front loader.

I have an LG top loader. It’s a large capacity washer because that’s what they had available. Not sure when I got it but it’s been a few years. The drum is still as shiny as a mirror. My husband washes towels with bleach every couple weeks. We keep the lid open to help drying and so people know when it’s available for use. The only problem I have had is mold in the dispenser drawer. After scrubbing it with a toothbrush, I requested that the family pull the drawer out after they use it so it can dry out.

I have a Maytag front loader which I don’t recommend either. The lock broke when I first got it and flooded my newly installed hardwood floors. Then about a month after using it, mold formed all over the rubber seal. I called the store where I bought it, and they said they wouldn’t honor the warranty unless I use bleach every load. Well who uses bleach on their colors?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter