Looking for a washing machine that doesn’t accumulate mold. Warning. Gross pics.

I have a Maytag front loader which I don’t recommend either. The lock broke when I first got it and flooded my newly installed hardwood floors. Then about a month after using it, mold formed all over the rubber seal. I called the store where I bought it, and they said they wouldn’t honor the warranty unless I use bleach every load. Well who uses bleach on their colors?
That’s insane! What if you had a septic? You can’t even use bleach!

It is a direct result of the machine design. That has been confirmed by Samsung.

As is stated in my original post, I leave the door open and clean the machine regularly.

There are hundreds of other people on Facebook with the same problem and there is no fix. Some of the other people with the same issue have machines that are just a month or two old.

There are two design flaws in this machine that allow this to happen. That’s why Samsung refunded me.

I just want to avoid a similar design if at all possible.

I have an LG top loader. It’s a large capacity washer because that’s what they had available. Not sure when I got it but it’s been a few years. The drum is still as shiny as a mirror. My husband washes towels with bleach every couple weeks. We keep the lid open to help drying and so people know when it’s available for use. The only problem I have had is mold in the dispenser drawer. After scrubbing it with a toothbrush, I requested that the family pull the drawer out after they use it so it can dry out.
We have the same machine, I think. I run a bleach load of towels twice a week. We go through a lot of towels. Lol.

Our drum is still shiny and new looking as well. But, yes, that dispenser drawer is a pain. I’m always wiping it down with Clorox wipes.

Our drum is shiny as new, also. After you take it apart and lift the bottom part out, different story. lol. As you can see from the pics.

Multiple videos on YouTube addressing the issue. Even if you can get that circular part clean, there’s still sludge between the plastic and the metal.

I have a Maytag top load washer. I use Affresh, monthly, and always leave the lid open, when not in use!

TC :cool1:

Multiple videos on YouTube addressing the issue. Even if you can get that circular part clean, there’s still sludge between the plastic and the metal.

I’m curious s to what made you take the drum apart. Did you smell the mold?

I have a 1.5 year old samsung top loader. Im not seeing anything like your pics. What is that in your pics? Do I have to remove something to see that? Maybe Im not looking in the right place.

I have a 2 year old samsung top loader. I've never cleaned it. Then again I dont wash that much. I dont see anything, I dont smell anything. But after reading this thread I might just run the self clean cycle for grins and giggles.

With any washer, it's important to wash it every so often. You can run a hot cycle with only bleach. Or you could use CLR (always follow directions). The washer does need to be washed every so often.

Also, when not in use, ALWAYS keep the lid/door open. Keeping the lid/door closed after finishing a cycle does not allow the dampness in the machine to dissipate. You're basically sealing up the machine with water remaining, which invites mold and mildew to grow.

Also, during winter, keep your dryer lid/door open after use. The dryer is set so that the exhaust line vents outdoors. During winter, the outside air is cold. That coldness will transfer back to the warm dryer, which could lead to condensation. If the dryer lid/door is closed, that condensation could cause machine parts to start to rust or develop mildew.

In other words, ventilation is your friend.

I know you said this is a known issue with your particular Samsung machine.That said, one of the easiest ways you can avoid mold issues in washing machines is to run an exhaust fan inside your laundry room CONSTANTLY. The home we are living in now has a fan in the laundry room (first time I've ever lived in a home that has that) and it's there because it's a gas dryer and I guess building codes require it to be there to vent out gas fumes. When we moved in, there was a sticker suggesting leaving it running all the time, so that is what we did. At one point, during some wildfires, I had to shut it off because smoke was coming in. I left it off for a week. The washer started smelling like mildew. At that point, it was 6 years old and had NEVER smelled like that. As soon as I ran a washer clean cycle and turned the fan back on, it never smelled again. I honestly think the fan keeps the laundry room from getting overly humid and that helps a ton. So, if you have a fan, use it. If not, think about having one installed.

Anyway, if you absolutely have to have a top loader, I can't help you. But I can wholly recommend LG front loaders. Mine has been solid for 7 years. Had to replace the drain pump a few months ago, which is a common repair and it was done by the first service technician I called for under $200. Not bad at all, in my opinion. He said "it should run another 7 years without issues now."

I do NOT recommend Whirlpool at ALL. Both me and my sister as well as my parents had terrible mold issues with 3 different types of machines, all in under 5 years of ownership.

I know lots of people who complain about mold in their washer and I can smell it sometimes when I've been in other people's laundry rooms. We have Samsung front loaders that we got in 2014 and have had no issues. I never use bleach and 3 years ago the laundry was moved to the unfinished basement (which gets humid since we live in the south), but still no problem. I do always leave the door and detergent drawer open. And, I also only do laundry about once a week so it does dry thoroughly between uses.

We have a Whirlpool front loader at our rental that gets used quite a bit and I haven't had any issues there either (also always leave the door and drawer open a bit).

I’m curious s to what made you take the drum apart. Did you smell the mold?
We started noticing chunks of stuff on our clothes. This is a different issue than the front load washers that get moldy around the door. We decided to take the drum apart after getting the refund. No matter how many closing cycles we run, bleach, etc. The problem does not go away. We figured we had nothing to lose.

I have a 1.5 year old samsung top loader. Im not seeing anything like your pics. What is that in your pics? Do I have to remove something to see that? Maybe Im not looking in the right place.
We removed the bottom of the drum. You have to remove the cap and then the big circular part. The YouTube videos show how to do it.

I always leave it open when not in use
This. Get a front loader and leave it open when you are not using it. It's not been a problem.

BTW - did you know that your front load washer has an "appendix" that collects the loose change you leave in your pockets? You have to open up the machine to get to it, but it's true.

I have always left the lid open. And we have two fans in the garage. This issue stems from a faulty line that runs along the drum and the drum design in the bottom-the two piece circular part that is metal and plastic.

I want to avoid that design in my next washer purchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter