Looking for advice from veteran cruisers to a first time cruiser

Ravens girl

Mouseketeer
I’m about to book my first cruise on the Dream in May 2022. Having never cruised before I could use some advice. What should I pack? Ladies how many swimsuits should I pack. Do I need a jacket? I’ll be traveling with a friend, we will both be celebrating our 60th birthdays.
Any ideas, thoughts or advice will be most appreciated.

I do two swimsuits. There is a clothes line in the shower that I use to dry off suits between uses after giving them a rinse in the tub, and with alternating two suits I always have a somewhat dry one to put on that way—hate the feeling if putting on a wet suit. Of course, I could always use the hair dryer in a pinch too.

You DEFINITELY need a light sweater or jacket of some kind. The dining rooms and theater seem to always have AC turned down low. I usually pack a cardigan regular dinners and a nice shawl for semi formal night.

Pack half what you think you will need. Seriously.

You don't say how long your cruise is....for a warm weather 7-day, I take:
**2 pair shorts/capris,
**two pair nicer long pants (maybe a white and a black), could sub a skirt
**5-6 tops that match all the bottoms,
**2-3 dresses. (Since you are celebrating, if your cruise is long enough to have formal/semi-formal nights, you may want to go long dress or even all out formal.)
**a couple of dressier sweaters that go with the tops and dresses

I find it useful to pick a color scheme and stick with it so everything coordinates: Black/white/Royal blue or
White, Navy blue, pink or
White, khaki, red.
Most of my clothes, except shirts, are solid color, shirts can be prints.

*1 pair walking shoes,
*1 pair dressier shoes or sandals, nude matches everything
*1 pair flip flops,
*1-2 swimsuits, one cover-up
*2 sets workout clothes (optional).

If cooler weather (like Alaska), i would leave out shorts and add jeans, make the tops long sleeved and add a couple scarves, jacket.

That's a great list. I've been on 13 cruises and have overpacked every time. Also on DCL, there is a self service laundry available. Because I'm traveling with kids, I always bring some tide pods and try to wash at least once. That cuts my need for clothes way down. On a 3 day cruise I probably wouldn't bother. & days, definitely.

Some non-clothing things that are helpful:
Your own refillable cup or mug
A nightlight for the bathroom
Some magnet hooks or suction hooks
A small purse or fanny pack type of thing that you can take when walking around on and off the ship
Cash- I still like to leave cash for my room steward
Sun hat
A swim cover-up that is modest enough to wear inside. I personally like a dress type of thing that I can throw on over my swimsuit and go into the dining room or wherever for lunch.

Thank you so much. Our plans changed a little bit. My friend couldn’t go so my husband is going with me. This is a 4 night cruise, Bahamas.
The advice about not overpacking will be a tough one but I’ll try. 😏

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter