Looking for new everyday dinnerware

Whatever you get, I suggest you pick a set that you can easily add pieces to in the future. We received a set of dishes as a gift in 2004 and are now down to 3 bowls, but still have 10 plates and 12 salad plates. I've purchased other bowls to supplement, but I wish they matched.

so many people purged stuff during the pandemic that thrift and charity stores are overrun with sets of dishes. entire sets for pennies on the dollar (a couple places local to us are so overrun they won't take them anymore and are selling beautiful china dinner and serving plates at 10 cents each for shooting targets o_O ). i've told dh that when our current day to day stuff hits the end of it's lifespan i'm going to pull our wedding china out and use it (dishwasher and microwave safe-neither of my kids want it so it's use it or it will get tossed when we pass).

Many years ago, I had a lovely set of Pfaltzgraf, but it was so heavy that it pulled my kitchen cabinets off the wall. It now sits in boxes in my garage.

they ARE heavy but dang they are durable. we had one of their outlets near our former home and i still have a few pieces i use-including the small 'airline plates' they used to manufacture for the airlines (great little snack plates).

Another vote for Corelle. I've had mine for 26 years now, everyday use. I've only lost 1 salad plate in that time. The same pattern is no longer available so if that's important just get the plain white (mine is off-white and last I looked they don't seem to make anymore).

I would not spend anymore than I had to on everyday stuff. We bought these below a few months ago and no issues. Paid $1.25 ea at Dollar Tree. Normally I am not so cheap but its just plates.

Royal Norfolk Red and White Dinner Plates​

1700055270310.png

I am in the market for new dishes, I’m going to have to check out Corelle. My mom had a set when I grew up but I didn’t know they still make it. How do they sell it? Is it a set or can you buy individual pieces? I’ve learned I don’t use all the pieces that come in the sets (in particular the tea cups)

I am in the market for new dishes, I’m going to have to check out Corelle. My mom had a set when I grew up but I didn’t know they still make it. How do they sell it? Is it a set or can you buy individual pieces? I’ve learned I don’t use all the pieces that come in the sets (in particular the tea cups)
It does come in sets or as individual pieces. There are lots of additional pieces (big pasta bowls, serving platters, etc) for the solid white pattern, at least.

In general, I find that very few dinnerware sets come with teacups and saucers any more, usually just dinner plate, lunch plate, bowl.

They used to have a lot of Correlle stores (often at factory outlet malls) but there aren’t as many anymore, and sometimes their selections are limited. You might look online to see what you like, then try to find it online.

WalMart sells some but not much. You can often pick up plain white pieces like small bowls and cups and things like that. EBay might sell some that have been discontinued. (I buy my discontinued flatware there. It can be pricey but I like having a matching set.)

We have Lenox Butterfly Meadow dishes. This is a Lenox every day dish pattern and there is so much that matches it. I like that there are different designs on the plates for the various butterflies. Just a very happy pattern. Had it 18 years now and may have broken a bowl or 2, but it has held up amazingly well.

Those Disney Corelle plates are on sale! Corella’s site is cheaper than Macy’s - $64 for 4 3 piece place settings (bowl, dinner and salad/dessert plate). I don’t need them but…Merry Christmas to me! Plus I like that they’re made in the U.S.

Those Disney Corelle plates are on sale! Corella’s site is cheaper than Macy’s - $64 for 4 3 piece place settings (bowl, dinner and salad/dessert plate). I don’t need them but…Merry Christmas to me! Plus I like that they’re made in the U.S.

I saw that - I am tempted to buy them even though I don't need them. I have some hand-me-down Corelle that doesn't all match. I mostly have my sister's old pattern (light blue), but a couple of peices are from when I was a kid (green flowers). That Disney set though....

I saw that - I am tempted to buy them even though I don't need them. I have some hand-me-down Corelle that doesn't all match. I mostly have my sister's old pattern (light blue), but a couple of peices are from when I was a kid (green flowers). That Disney set though....
I am loving that, too. But the color doesn’t work for me, lol. Otherwise, I’d get it. I think you should, though! 😝

I am loving that, too. But the color doesn’t work for me, lol. Otherwise, I’d get it. I think you should, though! 😝

Man, and now I'm looking and they have other sales too - 40% off orders of $149 and free shipping at $99. They also have some Disney Pyrex bowls. Why are they trying to make me buy dishes! It's like something I would never do....

Another vote for Correlle. Grew up with it, my dad still has the set that we had as I was growing up. They are very durable and lightweight. The only issue I had was that the pattern I had didn't have a lot of accessories that went with it, baking dishes, serving pieces, etc and I didn't want to go plain white to sort of go or change patterns. My husband bought me a set of Pfaltzgraff that I do like but they are heavy. I don't love them for every day use too much. I still have my Corelle and I have thought about switching them out again but haven't yet.

I’m hard on dishes. I just go to a discount store avd buy what they have. But I think mismatched dishes are fun. If I buy a plate for $2 abd it breaks, no big deal.
That’s how I feel about my “good” dishes. When we got married, DH’s aunt gave us a set of dishes. A set of 8. About 6 months later, a grocery store was having, spend so much, get a piece for $2 or something deal. Our same dishes. Did I care ? Nope! I’d never ever use them, if I knew each plate cost $50 each. I bought more at the grocery store, so now have set of 12.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter