• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking for opinions on a small dog/puppy for an active child

pantherlj

DIS Veteran
If everything goes well, we will be in our new home at the end of January. I will take good vibes, our last buyer backed out :(

I have an 11 year old animal lover that has been wanting a dog for a few years. We are able to do it for her with the new home!

We would like a small dog that doesn't shed much (none would be even better). Maybe 15-20 pounds max, smaller is fine. A dog that will enjoy my 11 year old daughter carrying it around, can handle a bit too much love without wanting to bite her and will also enjoy going on walks and playing fetch. A dog that will like to cuddle with her. A dog that isn't yappy. Is there one like that? :)

The house we are moving to has new carpet so I am struggling with a puppy she can bond with vs a young dog that is already potty trained.

I grew up with dogs as a child but haven't had one after leaving home - any and all input appreciated!

Shelter? Breeder? how do I find this pet once I decide on breed?

Thinking we will give her a few dog type gifts to open on Christmas morning.

If everything goes well, we will be in our new home at the end of January. I will take good vibes, our last buyer backed out :(

I have an 11 year old animal lover that has been wanting a dog for a few years. We are able to do it for her with the new home!

We would like a small dog that doesn't shed much (none would be even better). Maybe 15-20 pounds max, smaller is fine. A dog that will enjoy my 11 year old daughter carrying it around, can handle a bit too much love without wanting to bite her and will also enjoy going on walks and playing fetch. A dog that will like to cuddle with her. A dog that isn't yappy. Is there one like that? :)

The house we are moving to has new carpet so I am struggling with a puppy she can bond with vs a young dog that is already potty trained.

I grew up with dogs as a child but haven't had one after leaving home - any and all input appreciated!

Shelter? Breeder? how do I find this pet once I decide on breed?

Thinking we will give her a few dog type gifts to open on Christmas morning.

My breed is Yorkshire Terrier. I would NOT recommend a Yorkie for your daughter because although they do not shed, they can be "yappy" and housebreaking issues are the number one problem with the breed.

My dog! Lol! Six months old and 100% housebroken/crate trained when we adopted her at 6 months. 20 pounds, short haired mutt, puts up with being carried like a toddler, listens off leash, rings the bell when she wants to go out, loves other dogs, LOVES the kids - her only fault (our fault) is she pulls on the leash, but will stop immediately if you drop the leash.

How we got the perfect dog? We didn't care about breed. I knew someone who fostered dogs, and I just asked her to look out for a dog who would be a great fit. I suggest getting in touch with rescue groups who foster. Most of them want a great family fit!

I am a fan of Miniature Poodles. They are good with kids and can keep up with an active child and family. I would only go to a reputable breeder or a rescue for one. I have found 4 great poodles thru rescues! One even became a service dog for me.

My breed is Yorkshire Terrier. I would NOT recommend a Yorkie for your daughter because although they do not shed, they can be "yappy" and housebreaking issues are the number one problem with the breed.

My mom has a Yorkie... definitely wouldn't recommend one either. From having owned a Chihuahua myself, I wouldn't recommend one of those either. The ones I have seen (including the one I had) are really bad about biting.

Pekingese seem to be good dogs in my opinion. They DO shed some, but my parents had one when I was young, and they seem very sweet and pretty cool dogs. Poodles aren't supposed to shed a lot, they are not a bad choice from the ones I have been around.

Look at:

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Pug

Mini schnauzer

Havanese

Lhasa Apso

I have a Great Pyreneese he is on all of your do not want lists so I am not recommending his breed but I am suggesting how we went about getting our boy.

DD started online and filled out several profiles about our home, personalities, energy levels, commitment levels etc. We wanted a large dog

She researched, we discussed, researched some more and then we narrowed to 3 breeds and off to PetFinder we went. We ended up working with a rescue and I am so glad we did. We got a teenage male who was an owner surrender because, oh surprise he was big and hairy! Some people are so stupid but that is another thread.

Our boy was about a year and a half old. He was house broken and leash trained, great with kids, cats etc. His issues, he is big, he was 70#'s and he really needs to be about 110. He is timid and not the least bit aggressive. He is currently at 99#'s and his winter coat has come in, everything I own has dog hair on it but that's okay, I have a tape roller and vacuum.

I for one am anti breeder, anti puppy/pet store, wary of "free pet" ads etc. Work with your local shelter or a rescue. It is amazing the animals that get dumped into shelters for stupid reasons. Great dogs that need a home.

Really analyze what you want, what you can handle and be honest with yourselves. You will be the likely caregiver regardless of how much the kid promises to take care of the dog. My DD sucked me in and then I absolutely fell in love with our dog. She says I spoil him, am too indulgent etc but at the same time she knows all those things she promised she would do, I do because she is lazy and I love the dog;)

We've had a dog for a month. She is a cockapoo and would be everything you want except a slight bigger. She does not shed, does not yap, does not lick me in the face, follows us around but can stay on her own, and is already learning tricks!

We did what a PP did. We had a rescue group looking for our perfect dog. It took about four months. She is the best dog!!!

My dd adopted a 5 year old shihtzu. 8 year old dgd carries her around like a doll dresses her up dog is fine with it. She is not yappy hardly ever barks only if someone knocks on the door. I didn't think she shed but dd says once in a while she finds a few hairs on the couch where she likes to sleep while they are at school and work. She gets along fine with my pit. When I keep her when dd goes away they sleep together, eat out of each others dishes, share toys. I have heard they can be hard to house train but hers was already house broken no experience with that.

The #1 thing you're going to want to do, no matter what dog you end up getting, is enroll that dog (and your daughter, if possible) in obedience training classes. Your dog will learn how to behave, and your daughter will learn how to treat the dog correctly.

That being said, from my experience (3 years at a vet and 1 year at an animal control shelter) small dogs tend to be yappy dogs, and more prone to biting, mainly because they aren't disciplined and trained. Yes, *ANY* dog can and will bite when they feel the need, but small dogs tend to fall into the "aww, how cute, listen to him growl, how funny" category, so people don't discipline them and they end up running the entire house.

If you're looking for a dog that will keep up with your daughter activity wise, I would not recommend anything with a short nose (pug, any of the bulldogs) because they tend to have breathing problems. Poodles and poodle mixes are good low-shed dogs, but they typically require regular grooming (no, you don't have to keep them in a show or odd cut, just ask for a puppy cut and you'll end up with a coat that is fairly short all over without being bald), and dogs with droopy ears (like cockers) are prone to ear infections. Other breeds carry various genetic problems, from hip to eye to back to cancer, so you want to read up on what you're getting.

If you decide you just have to have a specific breed, check with breed rescues in the area. They tend to be very knowledgeable about the breed, and sometimes work with breeders to place older (non puppy) dogs. If you don't care about breed, the local shelter is a great place to find a dog.

To get an idea of what breeds would be a good fit, use this questionnaire on the Animal Planet website. Just remember, a toy/small dog tends to live longer (18-20 years isn't uncommon) than a large/giant breed dog (8-10 years), so you'll probably end up with the dog after your daughter goes off to college. Make sure it's something that *YOU* can live with, too.

Please please please please PLEASE consider a shelter or rescue dog over a breeder. Please.

That being said...Small breeds are notoriously difficult to house train b/c they have small bladders, so keep that in mind! And I completely agree with the pp who said get your daughter and the dog into an obedience class together. I like the idea of taking that "which breed is best" quiz. A lot of cutesy breeds are very high maintenance and do not do well left alone for long periods of time, and any dog will be a lifetime commitment.

I am dog lover, and have three rescues, and I've worked with rescue groups. We have a shih tzu, a lhasa apso, and a mixed breed (australian shepherd/bassett mix). They are all very sweet. I call my shih tzu my catdog b/c she is the best of both worlds. She's sturdy and playful and loves to cuddle...but on her own terms. Our Lhasa is so, so lazy! He gets playful for like, an hour a day total. Our mixed breed was the easiest to house train, but he is very active. When he was younger, he would "herd" the boys down the hallway like cattle, lol!! He'd never worked as a shepherd, but it's in his blood for sure.

I think a happy little mixed breed dog who likes to run and play would be great for your daughter. If you have a petco or petsmart near you, they usually host adoption events on Saturdays.

Good luck to you!

The #1 thing you're going to want to do, no matter what dog you end up getting, is enroll that dog (and your daughter, if possible) in obedience training classes. Your dog will learn how to behave, and your daughter will learn how to treat the dog correctly.

That being said, from my experience (3 years at a vet and 1 year at an animal control shelter) small dogs tend to be yappy dogs, and more prone to biting, mainly because they aren't disciplined and trained. Yes, *ANY* dog can and will bite when they feel the need, but small dogs tend to fall into the "aww, how cute, listen to him growl, how funny" category, so people don't discipline them and they end up running the entire house.

If you're looking for a dog that will keep up with your daughter activity wise, I would not recommend anything with a short nose (pug, any of the bulldogs) because they tend to have breathing problems. Poodles and poodle mixes are good low-shed dogs, but they typically require regular grooming (no, you don't have to keep them in a show or odd cut, just ask for a puppy cut and you'll end up with a coat that is fairly short all over without being bald), and dogs with droopy ears (like cockers) are prone to ear infections. Other breeds carry various genetic problems, from hip to eye to back to cancer, so you want to read up on what you're getting.

If you decide you just have to have a specific breed, check with breed rescues in the area. They tend to be very knowledgeable about the breed, and sometimes work with breeders to place older (non puppy) dogs. If you don't care about breed, the local shelter is a great place to find a dog.

To get an idea of what breeds would be a good fit, use this questionnaire on the Animal Planet website. Just remember, a toy/small dog tends to live longer (18-20 years isn't uncommon) than a large/giant breed dog (8-10 years), so you'll probably end up with the dog after your daughter goes off to college. Make sure it's something that *YOU* can live with, too.

I've no input as to smaller breeds as I grew up with and now am a parent to my own Rotti, but this post was very well said! :thumbsup2

Another vote for a rescue! We have had 3 rescue dogs and while they each have their own personalities & quirks, they have been great dogs. My DB & his family just went through a rescue too and absolutely love their dog.

Don't discount adult dogs either. We adopted them at 1.5, 5, and 3 years and they all had plenty of energy! One lived to 14 and are other two will probably be gone by the time the last kid goes to college. Not sure that was such good timing on our parts!

We have 2 five year old yorkie/shihtzu mixes and they are great with my 7 year old granddaughter and she has ADHD so she can get a little carried away with them and they have never done anything to her. If they dont want to play with her they go to another room. They are "trained" and have a doggie door to go in and out but we still find "surprises", but I blame my husband for not training them properly!

Start at your nearest animal shelter or rescue. These are the best dogs you can find!

Well, I'm partial to retired greyhounds, shelter mutts and our current love- a blue tick coonhound!

Miniature Poodle. We have a standard, love her to pieces. A miniature is about the size you are looking for, they are smart, love their families, and don't shed. There are Poodle Rescues, so you might check there...

http://www.nc4h.org/
Look into your local 4-H clubs...Many have dog obedience clubs and they would also be a good source to possibly help you find a dog. and sorry to those who think otherwise...there is NOTHING wrong with finding a GOOD breeder to get a dog from. Just as there is nothing wrong with getting a dog from a shelter.

We got a dog for the same reasons as you - in addition, we did it for therapeutic reasons for our DD who has some mild special needs and frankly just needed a friend who offered unconditional love. I am not a dog person at all and so had a very narrow list of what would work for me.

We got an adult Cavalier King Charles spaniel and she is almost the perfect dog. The only thing not on your list is that she does shed. But we get her groomed every 4-5 weeks and keep her hair clipped short and that has helped a lot.

From most people's perspective she is darling and sweet and beyond perfect. but for me she is a huge challenge. She is so people oriented that she is needy. She stares at me constantly and watches my every move because I am unfortunately the pack leader (i.e. SAHM). And I hate it because while I care about dogs' welfare I do not need a dog in my life. I will N-E-V-E-R get another dog again. Just not my thing.

So bottom line - make sure you are the one who wants and can handle a dog because the buck will stop with you. Your daughter might love and adore the dog but the dog's care will depend on you. It truly is like having a perpetual toddler but with different limitation (i.e. there are many many places dogs are not welcome.)

I am a fan of Miniature Poodles. They are good with kids and can keep up with an active child and family. I would only go to a reputable breeder or a rescue for one. I have found 4 great poodles thru rescues! One even became a service dog for me.
i agree! We are looking into getting a miniature poodle to add to our family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter