Looking for opinions on my itinerary :)

AJ1983

DIS Veteran
My DBF (35) and I (almost 29 the sequel), are spending 5 days in Orlando prior to our Carnival Cruise.

We will be spending our first night, May 6, onsite at Universal Resort. We will do US on our arrival day, and IOA on May 7.

We are then transferring to Pop Century on May 7, checking out early May 11. We have 3 days to use as park days. One day will be MK, another day will be DHS and a trip to DTD so DBF can buy Legos.

My question is how should we spend our remaining day? Our options are AK,Epcot, another day at MK, or another day at US or IOA (they have a buy 2 get 3rd day free special). I want to take in as much Disney as possible, but it would be cheaper to just do the third day at Universal, hence the dilemma.

Can EPCOT and AK be done in a day? In EPCOT, we would want to do most of the science stuff, but I would be content to walk briskly though the national pavillions. Really, I just want photos of me in "Germany", "France" etc :) As for AK, there are maybe 4 or 5 rides we would want to do, then we would be content to do some of the trails and observe the animals. If it can be done in a day, I would consider adding PH to our tickets.

Also, I am not interested in making one day a "pool day". I told DBF he can rest,relax,and sleep late on the cruise ship. Orlando=theme park every day! :cool1:

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

It is really subjective. I would much rather spend time at the Disney parks. But as a couple, you aren't limited by the rides. I found my kids could ride more (as in ALL the rides) at Disney but they couldn't (and I wouldn't) ride some of the Universal rides. I also found Universal to be less enjoyable and friendly - Disney really has the upper hand. And I personally was disappointed in the WWOHP (castle was cool, the ride was HORRIBLE). But even with all that, we want to go back. We found the Universal resorts to have more typical resort services (such as wait staff at the pool) and we really enjoyed our time at the resort.

Everyone is different though so those are just my thoughts on Universal :goodvibes

As for Epcot and AK in one day - there is no answer for that! You have to decide which attractions you want to see. For instance, the only thing that I enjoy in AK is grabbing a frozen chai and walking around the jungle trek and going on Dinosaur. This barely takes an hour so I can get out of there before lunch! But others love all the other attractions and some of them can take a lot of time. If you see the two shows, want to go on EE, add in the safari, and go to Rafiki's Planet Watch - you may have used up the whole day.

I don't think you can 'do' Epcot in a day as much as you could AK or HS but if all you want to do is visit Innoventions and walk around the showcase, you could do this in one evening.

I would suggest choosing one park: Epcot or Animal Kingdom.

We have done US/IOA several times in one day.... I know they have added quite a bit so that may not be possible now... But back in May we saw the main sights there in two half days.
Remember you will skip quite a few attractions because you do not have little kids with you.... (Suess, Shrek, etc.)

From your post it sounds like you would love Epcot.... That is what I would suggest. If you love science in particular.

Animal Kingdom is a wonderful park and although I've only been to that particular park 3 times (much less than the others) I've never seen everything it has to offer...

But Epcot for a young couple is wonderful and it happens to be my favorite park....For Science: The Aquariums, Innoventions, Mission Space and the interactive area afterwards... I also think you'll love Soarin', Spaceship Earth (favorite) not to mention walking to the different countries with all the food, drink and picture options there. Don't forget the shows around the World and pick out a few that you would be interested in (ie. Serveur Amuseant in France is really neat)

Have a wonderful time !

Mary

We hit AK early and can be done by 4pm. you then head over to EPCOT and enjoy the science areas before walking to World Showcase. Since you're going on a cruise you won't need specific ADRs because I'm assuming food isn't a high priority. Turn right at the lagoon, stroll through Canada and UK, knock back a glass of champagne in France and continue on to Morocco for some tastes of their wonderful cuisine. You'll be just in time for the 9pm Illuminations show--munching on a funnel cake in the stand by the USA pavillion (and a great viewing area for the show):thumbsup2

We hit AK early and can be done by 4pm. you then head over to EPCOT and enjoy the science areas before walking to World Showcase. Since you're going on a cruise you won't need specific ADRs because I'm assuming food isn't a high priority. Turn right at the lagoon, stroll through Canada and UK, knock back a glass of champagne in France and continue on to Morocco for some tastes of their wonderful cuisine. You'll be just in time for the 9pm Illuminations show--munching on a funnel cake in the stand by the USA pavillion (and a great viewing area for the show):thumbsup2

Good advice. AK first. If you are not as interested in the shows there, ride the safari, Kali, definitely everest,maybe dinosaur, and then head to Epcot. You'll be missing quite a bit of the park, but if animals are really not your thing, it can be done. Just be at peace with missing things.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I am now leaning towards doing a quick tour of AK, and spend the rest of the day at EPCOT.

At AK, we are interested in EE, Kali River Rapids, the Safari, Dinosaur, and FOTLK. At EPCOT, we would want to do Test Track, Soarin, Mission Space, Spaceship Earth ,ImageWorks, Sum of all Thrills, and get some pictures in the various national replicas, and see Illuminations.

Based on what everyone has said, its looks like an AK/Epcot day will work fine for our purposes.

Yes exactly. We are content to do quick service meals and breakfast in our room for the Orlando portion of the trip. We do have one ADR at Be Our Guest. Beauty and the Beast was one of my favorite Disney movies as a child, and restaurant itself looks beautiful.

What time are you transferring over to the disney resort. Have you thought of doing dtd that night. Because if you are only going for legos if you are adding park hopper you could do epcot both evenings

What time are you transferring over to the disney resort. Have you thought of doing dtd that night. Because if you are only going for legos if you are adding park hopper you could do epcot both evenings

That's actually a brilliant idea! We are planning to transfer over around 5 pm, and I understand the LEGO store is open until 11. That gives us plenty of time to do DTD that night. Thanks for the suggestion!

In that case, we might be able to combine our AK/DHS day and do a whole day at EPCOT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter