Looking for place to gather group of people

xenon2000

Mouseketeer
I did some searching and I think I am just not typing the right words.

I am planning a trip for a group of 15 people to Disneyland and DCA. Without using a restaurant for this task, I was wondering if there was a good place to have shade and possibly a little our crowds way to gather 15 people to talk. Either with or without reserving a space. I just want it to be within the walls of Disneyland. And if possible, a location within California Adventure. Though I can already think of a few areas that may work in DCA in lower crowd times.

UPDATE: This is the basic list I have so far with the ideas given. Looks like DCA may be lacking. But I think there are still some good areas to list for DCA.

DL:
Aladdin's Oasis - Near JUngle Cruise exit. (often closed)
Outdoor, under cover seating area of Redd Rockett's Pizza Port in the entrance area of Space Mountain.
Hungry Bear restaurant (upper or lower section)
Shady area in front of Haunted Mansion entrance
North of Matterhorn, covered area of old motorboat atrraction.
Tomorrowland Terrace between meal times.
Shady area that is semi secluded between The Golden Horseshoe and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad fastpass area.
Later in the day, the benches between Fantasy land and Small World. Near snack cart. North-West of Matterhorn.

DCA:
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail under structure - In the shade. Not ideal, but would work in short bursts.
Random shade on the circular seating near Monster's Inc ride, Muppets 4D, and Mad T party space.
Flow's V8 Patio - great at night
Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta covered area near main walk area. Often very empty between meals.

And I am sure I can come up with a few more like this. But I was wondering if there was something more like the old Carnation Plaza Garden area that was converted into Fantasy Faire.

Better yet would be some air conditioned indoor space that wouldn't be too bad on noise and our presence isn't disrupting overs. Not that we will really be noisier than other guests. I just need to be able to speak over the noise to this small group for a short time.

Last time I was in DCA it was in the morning and I went over to the Mad T Party area, which has clusters of chairs and might be in the shade part time during the day when it's not in use. There's also the viewing area near RSR that seems to be underutilized, and I feel like I've stopped off near the Wine Country Trattoria and there were nice areas with tables not being used much earlier in the day.

Just remembered the animation area, which is air conditioned

I guess it depends on how crowded things are that day. I can see none of these working if things are packed.

How about the Hungry Bear restaurant, lower level by the river?
Tom Sawyer Island can be tranquil enough to talk.
Exit area from Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (or has that space been converted)
Aboard the Mark Twain?
Somewhere inside Innoventions?

Unless you are buying food, it would not be right to sit at the Redd Rockett's dining area inside or outside. The DCA areas you mention seem fine to me.
Could you get on the DL Railroad and sit together and just ride it around DL while you have your group time? How about a ride on the Mark Twain? How much time do you need?

There is also a space outside the Big Thunder Mtn Railroad right on the Rivers of America. Can't member what it is called but there are tables for seating and it is open to anyone as far as I can tell.

I also am thinking about the shady area outside the Haunted Mansion - just not sure if there is enough seating for 15 people.

At DCA no other spaces come to mind.

:wizard:

I guess it depends on how crowded things are that day. I can see none of these working if things are packed.

Exit area from Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (or has that space been converted)
Aboard the Mark Twain?

Not cool to sit in a dining area unless you buy food there...

:wizard:

If there is not a show going on. . . . Big Thunder Ranch . . . It is covered with plenty of seating.

In DCA. . . Again, if a show is not going on, by Monsters inc. there is a stage with covered seating.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

In DCA the outdoor seating area for the Boardwalk Pizza/Grill is HUGE and often has tons of empty tables. The Mad T party area is a good gathering spot as well.

At DL I would suggest the Hungry Bear seating area if you can have your gathering before they start serving food at 11:30 (?) Alternately, Big Thunder Ranch before lunch begins there.

Once CS places begin serving food, it becomes much more difficult, unless you plan the gatherings to coincide with meals.

I agree with other posters about no restaurants that are open unless you are gathering to eat and talk.

In DCA:
-what about the area where WOC seating is. Not shaded but a big open space (as long as a show of some sort isn't going on!)
-the area between the TOT and Hyperion Theater could work. There are some benches there, but not sure about shade.

In DL:
-back by IASW is a pretty big space
-across from Storybook canal, on the way to IASW is that area where the Princess Fantasy Faire use to be held.

Well, I will simply come out and say that I disagree with those that don't feel one should sit in a Disneyland dining area unless you buy their food. I didn't expect that response. But it's obvious now that some people feel that way. I certainly do not. And I know from experience that I am not the only one.

I pay a lot of money to enter the parks, buy food, drinks, merchandise, etc. So I have no issues with sitting and relaxing in dining areas. I will even eat small snack food that I either brought into the park or bought from a cart that does not have a dining area. But again, I will often sit and rest in seating areas indoors and outdoors that are associated with a food place. And I see nothing wrong with that since I pay a lot of money to be there.

It is not at all like walking into a general restaurant outside of an amusement park.

Obviously if people disagree, those people will not do it. I have never been asked by a cast member to leave because I hadn't purchased something. ANd I have never seen any official sign or other info that states this is not allowed or ever discouraged.

At the same time, if a dining area is packed and a family needs a place to sit with their food. Then even if I had just bought food, if I am finished, I will ofer them my seat because I know what it's like to need a seat to eat and see people just sitting around taking up space at the end of their meal.

I am not looking for a place to have a big event. I am simply thinking of ideas for where 15 family members can seat for a few minutes to gather their thoughts and move on, while possibly cooling off and getting off their feet.

Food locations are not the ideal for me and I was hoping to get different ideas as I can already think of food seating areas to use for this purpose even if some people feel that is not ethical for some reason within the paid walls of the resort.

If you watch people at the park, plenty of people sit and rest in dining seating without buying that specific locations food or drinks. I see nothing wrong with that and I never see cast members asking them to leave.

Anyway, I was hoping to make this a good thread about places to sit for larger groups. As I know of plenty of great places for small groups to sit and chill out.

In DCA the outdoor seating area for the Boardwalk Pizza/Grill is HUGE and often has tons of empty tables. The Mad T party area is a good gathering spot as well.

At DL I would suggest the Hungry Bear seating area if you can have your gathering before they start serving food at 11:30 (?) Alternately, Big Thunder Ranch before lunch begins there.

Once CS places begin serving food, it becomes much more difficult, unless you plan the gatherings to coincide with meals.

I forgot about the Hungry Bear area. That is a good one. Though sadly we are rarely back that far. Usually only once per day max and so likely we will not be ready for a break at the time. But if we do want to pause as a group up there and it's not busy, that could be great. Nice views too.

I don't mind gathering while meals are going on. I do that often with small groups when we need to sit and cool off. But will avoid eating crowds for a larger group.

Aboard the Mark Twain?

I expect things to be fairly lower crowds late Feb a good week after President's Day weekend.

The main requirements are seats and shade. AC is just a plus. I don't recall much seating on Tom Sawyer's Island other than the usual 4 person benches scattered around, sometimes in shade. Good for small groups. And if you happen to be on the Island at the time.

Mark Twain and Innoventions also has seating issues and take more effort to get into than general areas.

Thanks for tossing out ideas as that is what this is about.

Well, I will simply come out and say that I disagree with those that don't feel one should sit in a Disneyland dining area unless you buy their food. I didn't expect that response. But it's obvious now that some people feel that way. I certainly do not. And I know from experience that I am not the only one.

I pay a lot of money to enter the parks, buy food, drinks, merchandise, etc. So I have no issues with sitting and relaxing in dining areas. I will even eat small snack food that I either brought into the park or bought from a cart that does not have a dining area. But again, I will often sit and rest in seating areas indoors and outdoors that are associated with a food place. And I see nothing wrong with that since I pay a lot of money to be there.

It is not at all like walking into a general restaurant outside of an amusement park.

Obviously if people disagree, those people will not do it. I have never been asked by a cast member to leave because I hadn't purchased something. ANd I have never seen any official sign or other info that states this is not allowed or ever discouraged.

At the same time, if a dining area is packed and a family needs a place to sit with their food. Then even if I had just bought food, if I am finished, I will ofer them my seat because I know what it's like to need a seat to eat and see people just sitting around taking up space at the end of their meal.

I am not looking for a place to have a big event. I am simply thinking of ideas for where 15 family members can seat for a few minutes to gather their thoughts and move on, while possibly cooling off and getting off their feet.

Food locations are not the ideal for me and I was hoping to get different ideas as I can already think of food seating areas to use for this purpose even if some people feel that is not ethical for some reason within the paid walls of the resort.

If you watch people at the park, plenty of people sit and rest in dining seating without buying that specific locations food or drinks. I see nothing wrong with that and I never see cast members asking them to leave.

Anyway, I was hoping to make this a good thread about places to sit for larger groups. As I know of plenty of great places for small groups to sit and chill out.

I don't consider 15 people to be a small group. That represents 3-4 tables, or 3-4 families that won't have a place to sit after purchasing food. Families that also paid a lot to be in the parks and paid to purchase food. Maybe you haven't gone when it's been crowded or maybe the CMs haven't noticed a single party eating their snacks, but it's hard to imagine they'd miss several tables worth of people chatting across multiple tables, without purchasing food or drinks. Especially if other guests are looking for tables at the time.

There are tables in the area across from the Matterhorn, near the former motorboat attraction. Also, Aladdin's Oasis may be open on a crowded day. I know of the area HydroGuy refers to near Big Thunder, next to the Mark Twain loading area. I believe there's only about 10-12 seats there, but may also be an option.

I agree with no using seating area at restaurants. I've been there when people have been looking for an empty table, while a family takes up 3 tables to make their sandwiches (using condiments from the restaurant).

If Big Thunder Jamboree is open, that would be one area. The area by Matterhorn, where the Motor Boats used to be could also work. And unless someone is playing there, the area in DCA by Monster's Inc would work.

I wouldn't suggest the exit area of the Opera house. When Mr. Lincoln lets out, there is a lot of foot traffic. Having 15+ people siting on the floor in that area would cause congestion.

I don't consider 15 people to be a small group. That represents 3-4 tables, or 3-4 families that won't have a place to sit after purchasing food. Families that also paid a lot to be in the parks and paid to purchase food. Maybe you haven't gone when it's been crowded or maybe the CMs haven't noticed a single party eating their snacks, but it's hard to imagine they'd miss several tables worth of people chatting across multiple tables, without purchasing food or drinks. Especially if other guests are looking for tables at the time.

There are tables in the area across from the Matterhorn, near the former motorboat attraction. Also, Aladdin's Oasis may be open on a crowded day. I know of the area HydroGuy refers to near Big Thunder, next to the Mark Twain loading area. I believe there's only about 10-12 seats there, but may also be an option.

You obviously didn't read my whole post, even though you quoted it.

First, I said I would leave if people needed a seat. 2nd, I said that I would only be using that space if it wasn't busy. Meaning that people needing seats would not be a factor to start with.

You obviously didn't read my whole post, even though you quoted it.

First, I said I would leave if people needed a seat. 2nd, I said that I would only be using that space if it wasn't busy. Meaning that people needing seats would not be a factor to start with.

You said you would vacate when you bought food, you didn't say that applied to the scenario where you plan to hold an event/meeting with 14 other people. I thought you might be referring to how you'd handle the situation if you were alone, since you said I and not we. I did suggest some areas not tied to a specific dining location. I still consider 15 people to be larger than a small group, I don't see how that isn't a response to what you posted.

I am simply looking for suggestions on locations with shade and seats. Not a lecture on if I 'should' or 'should not' be using a specific area. I am not asking to break any laws or rules. And the areas I have suggested so far are not off limits by Disneyland for what I am talking about. I know because it happens all the time right in front of many cast members.

We are all there to share the park and the space. I am not suggesting that people be inconsiderate. So instead of assuming that I will use space suggestions in an inconsiderate fashion; I would love to simply see some suggestions that allow 15 people (3 families) to sit on seating together in the shade or AC. For a short period of time. With or without food.

I feel the focus here is way off base. I really wanted to make this a useful thread and so far it may as well be called "What is your OPINION on sitting on Disneyland dining seats without buying food?" That was only 1 suggestion and is not the point of this thread. Sadly that is often what happens in a public forum.

You said you would vacate when you bought food, you didn't say that applied to the scenario where you plan to hold an event/meeting with 14 other people. I thought you might be referring to how you'd handle the situation if you were alone, since you said I and not we. I did suggest some areas not tied to a specific dining location. I still consider 15 people to be larger than a small group, I don't see how that isn't a response to what you posted.

I said "even" when I buy food. Meaning 'in addition to when I didn't buy food'.

The situation is the same whether I bought food or not. If I am sitting at a dining seat but NOT eating (done or didn't eat to start with), then I leave to allow people to sit and eat when there is zero seating left.

I also said that I am not holding an "event". It is simply a way to keep 3 families together at certain parts of the day while sitting and resting our feet in the shade.

I would vacate... and the "I" here, if we need to get into being super specific and not implying anything. Is that I would vacate and take my family or group with me. So I could then substitute "we" in place of I in that sentence.

Really I don't get what is so complex about this. It's a simple question and if you assume that I am a considerate person instead of assuming I am a rude person; then I don't see what the issue is with sitting anywhere with a total of 3 small families for a total of 15 people. I see much bigger groups of people at Disneyland all the time. Should we expect them to always break up or buy something if they want to sit down?

I expect things to be fairly lower crowds late Feb a good week after President's Day weekend.

The main requirements are seats and shade. AC is just a plus. I don't recall much seating on Tom Sawyer's Island other than the usual 4 person benches scattered around, sometimes in shade. Good for small groups. And if you happen to be on the Island at the time.

Mark Twain and Innoventions also has seating issues and take more effort to get into than general areas.

Thanks for tossing out ideas as that is what this is about.

Seeing as your trip is planned for a lower crowd time, with traditionally cooler temps, using outdoor seating areas in some of the larger CS restaurants "might" work. Just avoid traditional meal times and be mindful that others sitting in your groups immediate area want to enjoy their own meal and conversation and not your larger groups discussion. :)
That said Tommowland Terrace would probably be a good option for you.

And FYI while DL has not instituted any restrictions on CS restaurant seating areas, yet, they began at DW several years ago. Multiple CS restaurants, during peak times, have CM's guard the seating areas and do not permit any party to sit at a table until their entire party is present with food in hand. In fact the CM even shows you what table you are to take, to avoid smaller parties taking larger tables. Look for this practice to make it's way to DL if people that actually buy their food can not find seating due to those that are just using the facilities to rest, meet up with their groups, etc.

dsny1mom

Golden Horse Shoe might work too. Just make sure to check out any possible show times that may or may not be scheduled for your dates. It gets loud in there when a show is going on. :)

dsny1mom

And FYI while DL has not instituted any restrictions on CS restaurant seating areas, yet, they began at DW several years ago. Multiple CS restaurants, during peak times, have CM's guard the seating areas and do not permit any party to sit at a table until their entire party is present with food in hand. In fact the CM even shows you what table you are to take, to avoid smaller parties taking larger tables. Look for this practice to make it's way to DL if people that actually buy their food can not find seating due to those that are just using the facilities to rest, meet up with their groups, etc.

dsny1mom

Thanks for the well spoken comments. I am a considerate person and would never be rude by taking seats in an inappropriate manner. I only go during lower crowd times, so I have never seen seating so packed that cast members have to direct "traffic" or guard seating. Though I do know certain dining experiences are more closed down such as The Blue Bayou, Big Thunder Ranch BBQ, Cafe Orleans, The Storyteller Cafe, Ariel's Grotto, Carthay Circle, and a few others. And none of those would be options for short burst resting.

I have no interest in being around other people, so the only way I would use group dining seating would be where there is a huge amount of empty seating. Like 50+ empty seats where the 15 of us would sit briefly together to re-group while sitting together.

I haven't had any bad experiences with sitting, but based on a few comments so far; I wonder if some people have had some really bad experiences with this. I am sorry to hear that. I want everyone to have a magical time at any amusement park and hope that more people can make the effort be considerate when moving around the park and watch out for strollers and electric scooters. As well as being considering of trash, noise, language, etc. It is sad that so many people (mostly teenagers and adults males) that feel it's ok to drop the f bomb and other bad language in the park.

I am just looking for areas, that when not crowded, are off the main path and have areas with enough seats and away from those trying to enjoy their food.

As I said in another post, food seating is not the ideal and I would like to see if there are other options like the old Carnation Plaza Gardens that was always a perfect group sitting area during low crowd times. Yet I am pretty sure such an alternative does not exist. Hoping someone can enlighten me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter