Looking for saving tips for fall '17 trip.

Yes, I really don't think I'm ok with splitting the rooms.
Perhaps you might want to consider the FW Cabins. The rack price is slightly lower than AoA suites and you would get a full kitchen. That would allow you to save some money by preparing quick meals in the room.

Just keep in mind that AS family suite and FW cabins are neither one typically a part of the Free Dining offer.

Your absolute 'cheapest' way to go (and still stay on site) is to get two value rooms on the FD promo. If you do not like the two room option, and I totally understand...it took me a few trips to be willing to try it...then the AS family suite, FW cabins and then AoA suite are the next options (I believe in order of cost but that varies some). You would be better off paying for food OOP in that case and maybe as @Marionnette suggested, staying in the cabins and preparing some meals in the room. Since you are driving, you could easily take foods and utilize the kitchen.

I absolutely think you can make this trip for less than $7k. We fly from CO, always stay 8 or more nights, stay mod or deluxe (maybe a value for arrival night), never go hungry while there and we have never spent $7k. Good luck and have fun planning!

Just keep in mind that AS family suite and FW cabins are neither one typically a part of the Free Dining offer.

Your absolute 'cheapest' way to go (and still stay on site) is to get two value rooms on the FD promo. If you do not like the two room option, and I totally understand...it took me a few trips to be willing to try it...then the AS family suite, FW cabins and then AoA suite are the next options (I believe in order of cost but that varies some). You would be better off paying for food OOP in that case and maybe as @Marionnette suggested, staying in the cabins and preparing some meals in the room. Since you are driving, you could easily take foods and utilize the kitchen.

I absolutely think you can make this trip for less than $7k. We fly from CO, always stay 8 or more nights, stay mod or deluxe (maybe a value for arrival night), never go hungry while there and we have never spent $7k. Good luck and have fun planning!
Actually the suites and cabins are included in *Free* Dining this fall. In which case, the cabins would be a better deal because they are considered a "moderate resort", so they get the DDP, while AoA and ASMu are "value resorts" and only get the QSDP and you would have to pay more to upgrade to the DDP.

However, the suites have 2 bathrooms and better access to pools and food courts than the cabins. Sometimes, those factors weigh heavily when choosing a resort. And *Free* Dining may not be the best choice for discount deals. Sometimes a room-only discount with tickets from a 3rd party and paying OOP for dining can be less expensive. Everyone has to crunch the numbers for themselves. But I agree with the others that this trip could be done for less than $7K. The question would be whether the OP is willing to compromise on some parts of her trip to cut the price tag. I know that I have certain expectations that I'm not willing to compromise on and that takes some cost-cutting options off of the table.

Perhaps you might want to consider the FW Cabins. The rack price is slightly lower than AoA suites and you would get a full kitchen. That would allow you to save some money by preparing quick meals in the room.
I haven't looked into the cabins at all. Thanks, I'm going to check them out.

Actually the suites and cabins are included in *Free* Dining this fall. In which case, the cabins would be a better deal because they are considered a "moderate resort", so they get the DDP, while AoA and ASMu are "value resorts" and only get the QSDP and you would have to pay more to upgrade to the DDP.

However, the suites have 2 bathrooms and better access to pools and food courts than the cabins. Sometimes, those factors weigh heavily when choosing a resort. And *Free* Dining may not be the best choice for discount deals. Sometimes a room-only discount with tickets from a 3rd party and paying OOP for dining can be less expensive. Everyone has to crunch the numbers for themselves. But I agree with the others that this trip could be done for less than $7K. The question would be whether the OP is willing to compromise on some parts of her trip to cut the price tag. I know that I have certain expectations that I'm not willing to compromise on and that takes some cost-cutting options off of the table.

Thanks! After all my advice here I've made great headway in our budget and savings plan. I think we can do it too.

Thanks for the correction and that is good to know. We cannot go with only one bathroom for our fam so I don't really consider the cabins but I thought Disney had removed all the 6 person room options from free dining. The cabins would definitely be the better value in this case.

I also recommend Free Dining for Fall trips. There is already a FD watch thread started for 2017. And also if you have a Sam's Club membership you can buy discounted Gift Card for Disney, they are about 5% off and if you have a Chase Freedom Visa they are offering extra 5% on Sam's club purchases. I have saved around $335.00 on my upcoming package. I bought my GCs from Sams Club online with Free Shipping. Just added one GC at a time to pay my package off in "My Disney Experience" it was easy. Make sure you keep all of your GCs, just in case you have to get the money put back on them.
Just want to add a word of caution. I ordered 3 ea $500 Disney gift cards from Sams Club web site since our store does not carry them; two were activated and one was not. I received them last Friday and after six phone calls and two emails, that card still has not been activated. As I understand it, Sams has to go through their vendor to have them activate the card. I don't know how long this process will take, although I am sure that everything will work out, just a matter of when. If you have to order from the website, I highly recommend that you don't wait until your vacation is right around the corner. Gift cards are not returnable.

I second the suggestions for the ASMu Suites. We stayed there in fall 2015 (waaay too long ago...) with a group of six (DH & I, DS, twin DD's and my niece) and we were very comfortable there. We booked with free dining and upgraded to the regular plan - totally worth it to us.
Like you, I'm a SAHM and my DH has not been bitten by the Disney bug, so I had to get creative for that trip and I'm currently working towards paying for a DCL trip with maybe a couple days at WDW added on. I'm loving the suggestions others have given you! I've been actively doing the GC churning, which is currently a crazy mess! and also do quite a bit on Swagbucks which gets me $50-$100 a month. Recently I started selling stuff on ebay and am looking at making and selling some crafts as well - we'll see how ambitious I am when school starts! I know if I went out and got a job I could make more, but this way I am not committed to working nights and/or weekends and can take a break as I want/need to!

Sorry in advance for the long post:
Most people have already offered up some really good advice.

*Have you looked into a modified 52 week challenge? You could look into what it would take to save X amount of money but doing in the compound way that the 52 week challenge is for or whatever way works best for you. Only thing that could be an issue it is not an even amount you are saving for each month as it is designed where you slowly build up a certain amount.

*Target RedCards (ones attached to your checking account) give you 5% off Disney gift cards (they are counted as entertainment so the 5% counts).

*I know there are some Dining Plan cost estimators available somewhere on the internet but as I have often read (and honestly agree with) the DDP doesn't usually save people money (especially as you mentioned you mentioned doing less character meals) but it is usually the convenience that prevails there. You can also access menus on Disney's website and keep an eye out on pricing of food items (though some food items are seasonly priced).

*I personallly would look into places that you can realistically afford with your expected budget and then when next year rolls around (if you book now that is) and there is a promotion call it a bonus and if you want to adjust where you are staying at based on that promotion you can.

*Look into several dates if you can. My trip will be Sep 2017. For two Standard rooms at All Star Movies (which is what our famiy need with 4 adults going-no children) via Disney direct no discounts and just the room no dining plan no tickets from 9/8-9/17/2017 is $110.22 per room per night excluding tax. For both rooms including tax it is $2,241.92

...BUT shifting the vacation to 9/15-9/24/2017 is $123.78 per room per night excluding tax. For both rooms incuding tax it is $2,517.64.

Overall by shifting just 1 week I would save $275.72 (if I went off of the earlier September date) and if basing off of this years MNSSHP offering going earlier in September wouldn't mean a loss in Halloween decor (years past MNSSHP started Mid-September this year however it starts September 2nd). Obviously with wanting only 1 room (which I completely understand) makes for limited choices but just playing around with some dates if you are a tad flexible (as in my above example it was only a week's difference).

*I'm not sure where you grocery shop but I do combined Costco, Aldi and Walmart and I know I'm not spending as much money on stuff than I used to when I was just going to more grocery type places.

*To me there is no shame in asking for gift cards for gifts from family/friends. Doesn't even matter the amount as they could be just souvenir money which could be just 1 less added expense you wouldn't have to worry about.

*You might look into your family habits such as entertainment costs, eating out costs, utility costs, etc. So not saying go all out and cut everything out but sometimes even 1 or 2 meals out a month could make a difference or a 1 or 2 degree difference on certain days or time of day in a thermostat setting can help put more money in your Disney fund.

We also haven't gone since 2013 but don't plan on going until 2018, although dh just sprung the idea of going next year but I told him no as I need to save more.

Go during value season. We prefer summer so we can stay longer (August) as the kids are out of school.

We don't do the dining plan. I look at menus before hand and have a price I like to stick to. Last trip it was $40/meal for our family of 5. We didn't buy soda and I still had 2 Disney kids and a 3rd that sometimes ate like a Disney kid.

We had our thermos water bottles that we filled for the parks and brought a few extra water bottles to refill (we take a mid day hotel break/nap). I told my kids and dh "no soda in the park". I lost 5 lbs by drinking water! I was impressed! We went for 10 days so had 5 park days and 5 pool days. I told them they could have unlimited soda on our pool days and boy did they ever!

Breakfast-dh and I shower in the am while the kids are sleeping, actually I shower first and then slowly wake them...open the curtains little by little. They get ready and eat breakfast in the room. We ship down cereal, pop tarts, bowls, spoons, etc...I will buy bagels and bring them on the plane with me and I buy milk there. We all eat and I didn't spend $50 on eggs and pancakes!

Don't get a park hopper-that I won't do because we like to hop.

We only do 2 TS meals and they are on non park days.

I do rewards sites, my favorite right now is m places. I get Target GC and conver them to Disney ones. But that is only about $30/month, I get $20 and dh gets $10. My dd was helping too but she has since decided a Nike GC would benefit her more...really! Disney visa too. I think I have 3/4 of my food budget right now between all those sites. My goal is $1500 but I know we won't spend that.

Cash gifts from birthdays/anniversary we throw in our Disney bank. Any change we find or have goes in there...that goes towards plane, park tickets and room.

On pool days, my girls (son is allergic) will have the Mac and cheese cups. They are content with that because it gives them more room for a dole whip pool side.

I do pack some snacks as well but we also buy snacks in the park-ice cream, pretzels, pop corn.

I also used a TA for the first time in 2013 and we were planning on doing a water park so their room rates were much better and we got a free water park...win win!

Just want to add a word of caution. I ordered 3 ea $500 Disney gift cards from Sams Club web site since our store does not carry them; two were activated and one was not. I received them last Friday and after six phone calls and two emails, that card still has not been activated. As I understand it, Sams has to go through their vendor to have them activate the card. I don't know how long this process will take, although I am sure that everything will work out, just a matter of when. If you have to order from the website, I highly recommend that you don't wait until your vacation is right around the corner. Gift cards are not returnable.
That's a shame. I didn't have any problems with any of the Gift Cards I ordered. I had to scratch off the hidden numbers to even activate and use the cards, were your cards scratched off when you received them?

haven't read thru everything yet but something I am doing to help add extra funds as we get closer to the trip..is take my budget bill amount and add extras to my vacation fund.

Ex. I budget $150 every month for our electric bill because that's the highest it's ever been. THis month it was $90 but since I had already put $150 aside I took the remainder $60 and stuck it in our pot. We only have about 3 bills that are flexible like that but I figure it helps.

Don't get a park hopper-that I won't do because we like to hop.

I totally agree with skipping the park hopper upgrade on a week-long trip. You should be able to make an itinerary (or in my case, a spreadsheet) that you can plan your days at each park. You can still leave/return to have a mid-day break, but park hopping only seems necessary if you're short on time. $69 savings per person right there!

For me, I took on a second "job" in that I dogsit for family/friends throughout the year and any money I earn from that goes into my travel fund.

You can also look into renting a 2 bedroom value villa at Animal Kingdom. The price will be lower than the suites at AOA. We do not do the dining plan either as it is too much food for us and our now 10 year old boy eats more like a 8 year old and would have to pay adults prices. We also order from Garden Grocer ahead of time and have snacks, breakfast foods, etc at our resort for pick up. I have really started to look at our cost of items across the board; everything from food to clothing. We have taken a cut back approach on many items. Just because the more we save, the more we can travel! Good luck!

I think all these options are great advice. We have actually stayed in 2 rooms when we went on an extended family trip at Carribean beach and it was good. We kept the door open and it's really like on big area. I would do it again!

You can also look into renting a 2 bedroom value villa at Animal Kingdom. The price will be lower than the suites at AOA. We do not do the dining plan either as it is too much food for us and our now 10 year old boy eats more like a 8 year old and would have to pay adults prices. We also order from Garden Grocer ahead of time and have snacks, breakfast foods, etc at our resort for pick up. I have really started to look at our cost of items across the board; everything from food to clothing. We have taken a cut back approach on many items. Just because the more we save, the more we can travel! Good luck!
are you talking about DVC rental? I can't find an availability on the disney site for the villas.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and help!!!!

As long as I stick to my budget I believe we can make it by Sept '17 for the Oct trip. I think my kids would love love AOA and I really don't want to split rooms or take the kids out of school so thats why I've decided on AOA in October. I thought I'd share what I came up with for a 15 mo savings plan. Just for reminder purposes... We can afford to go but DH doesn't see the need so I'm saving without it impacting our budget or he noticing a dent.
I do plan to spend less on food and frivolous spending throughout the year to help.
1. $100 a mo from my side gig= $1500
2. 52 week savings plan I found on pinterest. = $1352
3. 13 week savings plan= $390
4. $25 a mo from SwagBucks = $375
5. $75 a mo from Target Red card purchase of Disney Cards = $1125
6. $50 a mo from varage sale, consignment, etc. = $750
7. Dimes for Disney 2 liter = $500
= $5992

I've priced 7 days at AOA Lion King suite for 6 of us, 5 day park tix, no park hopper, no MNSSHP, no dining plan = $5183 before taxes.

I hope to add more $ where I find it throughout the year to help with food $ an I'd love to get tix for MNSSHP.

thanks again everyone, I'll come back to update throughout.

44$

I thought I'd share what I came up with for a 15 mo savings plan.

5. $75 a mo from Target Red card purchase of Disney Cards = $1125
A $75/month REDCard savings would involve purchasing 15 $100 Disney GCs each month! I think that you need to recheck your math because I don't think that you will need $22K+ in Disney GCs.

A $75/month REDCard savings would involve purchasing 15 $100 Disney GCs each month! I think that you need to recheck your math because I don't think that you will need $22K+ in Disney GCs.
I think but I'm not positive that the OP was saying they would buy $75 in Disney Gift cards each month for 15 months. If you do 75X15=$1,125 total.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter