Looking into buy dvc, but not sure if direct or resale is the way

baddagger

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

My Fiance and myself last weekend talked to dvc for about 3 hour about options. We are interested but do have concerns.

The big concern is the 35-45 years of maintenance that will increase 3-7% ever year. I used a maintenance calculator and found that in 45 years could be paying about 9000 a year for maintenance fees.
What is everyone experience with fee increase year after year.

Another concern we have , if we were to buy say 200 points from Disney for the animal kingdom , but wanted to book the grand Floridian is it something that is very hard to do? what is peoples past experience booking outside of there home location?

Also was thinking/wondering. If we where to buy the minimum from Disney at 150 points at the animal kingdom, but wanted to a resale contract a few year later for say 50 points for the beach club. If having two different contracts, can i use points combine them? so for example, use the 150 points from Animal kingdom to book at the beach club for at the 11 month mark? since it woudl be a home hotel for the 50 point contract?

Hi all,

My Fiance and myself last weekend talked to dvc for about 3 hour about options. We are interested but do have concerns.

The big concern is the 35-45 years of maintenance that will increase 3-7% ever year. I used a maintenance calculator and found that in 45 years could be paying about 9000 a year for maintenance fees.
What is everyone experience with fee increase year after year.

Another concern we have , if we were to buy say 200 points from Disney for the animal kingdom , but wanted to book the grand Floridian is it something that is very hard to do? what is peoples past experience booking outside of there home location?

Also was thinking/wondering. If we where to buy the minimum from Disney at 150 points at the animal kingdom, but wanted to a resale contract a few year later for say 50 points for the beach club. If having two different contracts, can i use points combine them? so for example, use the 150 points from Animal kingdom to book at the beach club for at the 11 month mark? since it woudl be a home hotel for the 50 point contract?
Yes. Dues increase every year. Some years they are bigger increases than others. Overall, AKV has higher dues as a result of having to pay for animal care.

Booking a non-home resort at 7 months can be hit or miss, depending on the season, size of the resort and type of room you want. With the addition of 200 new studios at VGF, it might be easier to book there most of the year unless you want a 2BR. BCV is going to be tough almost all year long. SSR and OKW will be easier. Studios book up first. 1BR villas tend to book up last. Buy where you want to stay most of the time and you won't be disappointed.

Points from different resorts cannot be combined at 11 months to book one resort. So you can't purchase 150 AKV points + 50 BCV points and use them at 11-months out to book BCV. You would have to wait until you are 7 months out and hope for available rooms.

Getting rooms at other places at 7 months really does depend on room size and time of year.

Fall into the holidays is a very busy time to trade to other resorts, especially for studios, for the near park resorts.

Prior to the addition of BPK and resort studios to VGF, it was very hard to get into there at the 7 month mark.

That could very well make it easier for other times of the year.

1 bedrooms have been doable but people added on at VGF to book the original rooms like the larger units so what might be left there art 7 months for non owners may be a lot less than in the past.

At this point, there is no way to know how those 7 month bookings af VGF will change until more points that were added are sold.

IMO, I think that getting resort studios during less busy times will still be possible at 7 months but do expect October through December to be difficult.

If you buy the minimum of 150, those points will be good at all current resorts, include RIV and any future resorts. You will also qualify for membership extras since you would be buying the current minimum

Any future resale points bought in the same UY and with the same owners, will not be able to be used at RIV or future resorts.

If they are a different resort, like BCV, you’d be able to combine them at 7 months with your AKV points.

If you buy a resale contract in a different UY, you can’t combine easily with the AKV points as it would be a new membership and require a transfer.

In terms of MFs. they have averaged around 3% to 5% a year once a resort is sold out.

However, cash rooms at Disney go up as well and it could be a wash in the end.

Yes, unlike other timeshares, the lion's share of DVC cost is actually dues. And sometimes they have gone completely left, like Vero, for example. I found this chart helpful:
https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/best-economical-dvc-resorts-to-purchase-spring-2022/

We have no idea what you are booking or when. Cheaper categories generally go first, as do peak times, which is why they are peak times. DVC is not a last minute option. I have a lot of SSR, and I've never even been inside. It's possible to book outside your home resort, but not for some rooms/times, which would be setting you up to fail.

When I did the math in 2019, I calculated 8 year breakeven for AoA animation suite. The AoA actually went up way more than I calculated, but so did DVC, if I were buying now. The room that didn't was Marriott Swolphin. I'm not sure I could make the math work at all today against some of the deals I have seen on Swolphin, especially off-season off of school schedules.

I can think of some reasons to buy direct, but you have zero of them in your post. DVC isn't right for most people, and direct even less so.

One more thing, like any large purchase, I wouldn't buy this with anyone I wasn't married to. I'd either buy as one person and have the other person pay, or I'd wait until you are married.
Example: https://www.disboards.com/threads/kept-dvc-after-divorce-but-ex-is-now-filing-for-bankruptcy.3894488/
There is no rush. DVC is going nowhere. If I were buying direct, I'd probably wait for Poly tower in 2024 anyway.

Last edited:

I was a walking DVC advertisement for years. I don’t think I would ever recommend anyone buying DVC right now, and especially not direct after the AP fiasco. You can probably find a resale contract where it almost kinda makes monetary sense if you squint your eyes and hope it doesn’t get ROFR’d.

I was a walking DVC advertisement for years. I don’t think I would ever recommend anyone buying DVC right now, and especially not direct after the AP fiasco. You can probably find a resale contract where it almost kinda makes monetary sense if you squint your eyes and hope it doesn’t get ROFR’d.
These posts used to be full of people doing decades of math on a few hundred bucks off on the AP. Now, even that's not on the table. I'm going to be selling soon if the AP situation doesn't change, honestly.

I still see the case for some people for DVC, and even direct. But it's not many people.

These posts used to be full of people doing decades of math on a few hundred bucks off on the AP. Now, even that's not on the table. I'm going to be selling soon if the AP situation doesn't change, honestly.

I still see the case for some people for DVC, and even direct. But it's not many people.
I admit to being a heavy spreadsheet user who did, in fact, add in the several hundred bucks off AP’s (x5 of us) to my calculations. With my first two contracts it made sense, in that it wasn’t a great investment, but it wasn’t terrible and the joy we would get would be priceless. My third contract this year was emotional and makes no monetary sense at all. I think the days of coming out ahead with DVC are gone. If I could go back in time and just rent from others I would. Especially with people renting at 21 a point which is way too low.

One more thing, like any large purchase, I wouldn't buy this with anyone I wasn't married to. I'd either buy as one person and have the other person pay, or I'd wait until you are married.
Example: https://www.disboards.com/threads/kept-dvc-after-divorce-but-ex-is-now-filing-for-bankruptcy.3894488/
Heartily agreed!

This is a monumental financial obligation that also could be catastrophic should one of you become seriously injured or ill and need to divert resources to medical bills. The other might end up shouldering the entire amount of dues which could be more than $1k annually for that many points. And if you are unable to pay cash for the buy-in...Yikes! The financial load could be immense.

I agree that it's also not wise to buy into DVC figuring you'd mostly book at 7 months unless you can be very flexible, staying wherever is available at various times of year.

Having an AP isn't necessarily an issue in booking terms, I don't think. We've never had one because of how DH must schedule vacation. We can never be certain from one year to the next that we'd get two stays on one AP.

But, booking where you know you'll want to stay at 11 months and modifying to another resort at 7 if the mood hits is by far the better plan, IMO. Rose Gold is a rarity in never having stayed at her primary home resort.

Always buy were you want to stay the most. You seem to mention AKV, so I would suggest a small resale contract to get started, between 100 - 150 points if you plan on mostly doing studios. You also mentioned VGF, which now with the addition of BPK studios might be easier to find at the 7 month mark.

With Disney not selling AP's right now, there really is no reason to buy direct unless you really want to trade into RIV. But for the saving on a AKV resale contract compared to direct pricing, you would probably want to go to RIV at least a few times.

Also, wait till after you are married to buy. I you want to go to Disney for your honeymoon then I would suggest renting a reservation with a broker, or just get a hotel room.

Also, wait till after you are married to buy. I you want to go to Disney for your honeymoon then I would suggest renting a reservation with a broker, or just get a hotel room.

We are going for a honey moon, but right now im using my travel point from my hotel stays with work to stay at the swan/dolphin for a few night and then 2 nights at the AoA.

We where going to wait until after getting married to buy due to all bills for the wedding and honey moon this upcoming march.

I was thinking that i would just try to pay at least half, and then get a home equity loan since the interest rates are a lot less then Disney, Disney lowest rate is at 10% where home equity starts around 3% range from the quick research I've done and pay it off in a year or two at most.

i know people mentioned about annual passes, luckily i am a Florida resident so i can get the pixie pass (currently have one).

Has anybody hear if they are going to be getting ride of all the passes for good, or only keep for local residents?

Also one thing i was wondering, i know i read that if you buy dvc, there is a discount on annual passes, what kind of discount did they give?
Was it more of a discount then if someone who had a AP that jus renews the next year. Though i heard a AP holder gets discount on the pass if they renew the next year, and if so does anybody know the discount % was around?

We are going for a honey moon, but right now im using my travel point from my hotel stays with work to stay at the swan/dolphin for a few night and then 2 nights at the AoA.

We where going to wait until after getting married to buy due to all bills for the wedding and honey moon this upcoming march.

I was thinking that i would just try to pay at least half, and then get a home equity loan since the interest rates are a lot less then Disney, Disney lowest rate is at 10% where home equity starts around 3% range from the quick research I've done and pay it off in a year or two at most.

i know people mentioned about annual passes, luckily i am a Florida resident so i can get the pixie pass (currently have one).

Has anybody hear if they are going to be getting ride of all the passes for good, or only keep for local residents?

Also one thing i was wondering, i know i read that if you buy dvc, there is a discount on annual passes, what kind of discount did they give?
Was it more of a discount then if someone who had a AP that jus renews the next year. Though i heard a AP holder gets discount on the pass if they renew the next year, and if so does anybody know the discount % was around?
I don't think they are getting rid of APs, since I'm out of state, and they just allowed me to renew my AP. However, the "discount" for APs at this time is really just that out of state DVC members qualify for the Sorcerer's Pass, instead of just the Incredible Pass. Costs for purchase are the same for renewal as they are for everyone else

There's a lot in between a direct 150 point contract + HELOC and Swolphin. You can rent points. You can buy a small resale. Search confirmed reservations and go in a few months for a couple nights. I would at least rent points or buy a confirmed DVC reservation before you jump into this, especially if you have to take a loan.

DVC has a lot of limitations, and many of the properties are not at the shiny, new RIV level. Most of the properties are older. I would take Marriott beds any time. No housekeeping, the website is a joke, service level, horrid communication, really strict point rules, terrible views, no last minute availability, no robes, toiletries are terrible, dishes dirty, check in really late, I can keep going.

Like many Disney decisions, no one knows what will happen to APs. I view owning DVC as much riskier than I did when I bought in 2019 and wouldn't buy direct at all right now. If I were going to buy direct, I'd take Poly2 over VGF2 or RIV. The timing is good for you, because it gives you over a year to get the money together and really be sure about the decision. If you bought a small resale contract, you'll get the existing member discount, which was substantial for VGF2. Also, as an existing member, you don't have to buy the full 150. I think you could buy just 75 VGF2. As a local, buying direct could make sense long term, assuming future properties also allow access, which is just a guess.

Last edited:
I recommend resale. True those points cannot be used at RIV, but you can always do a point transfer. Without the APs direct prices are not worth it. Also if you are thinking you might sell then RIV is definitely no as resale there will be less. If you like akv, buy there but resale:)

You cannot combine different home resorts in 11 month window. All points can combine in 7 month window.

Do NOT buy unless you have the entire amount in cash. I'd settle into your married life and then revisit. You might be ready just about when they start selling the new Poly resort. AKL is a lovely resort but isn't that hard to get into at 7 months unless you only want the value rooms or club level and those can be difficult at 11 months!

If I were you, I'd probably wait until Poly comes out or maybe even try for the new disneyland tower because that would give you an excuse to visit Disneyland!

Oh, and to answer your original question, no you can't use AKL points for BC at 11 months, just because you have some other BC points. The points keep their own rules. RIV restrictions, home resort, and so on. There are a lot of rules, and a lot to learn before you buy.

And there are other rules that DVC could put in play, like escalating charts for non-home resorts. Moral is buy where you want to stay.

Even if annual passes return to pre-covid policies, you will not benefit at all since you are a FL resident. It allows DVC direct members to buy the highest level FL resident pass. You already have that benefit plus you can choose from lower levels which DVC members cannot.

I'm not sure you'd get much benefit out of direct. If you have a flexible schedule, you may get more out of the 7 month booking window than most if you are only a car ride away. You can watch the availability and grab a night or two when they happen to pop up even if they're last minute.

These are good initial questions, but DVC is so complicated that I suggest you continue to research so you fully understand the ins and outs before you even consider buying. For example use year can be very complicated to understand and also very important. I believe the dis did a series on videos called DVC 101 or something that might be a good place to start.

how does the 11 month home work. does the month you buy it count as the frist month or the month after? just trying to figure out what month i would want to buy around (if i do buy after more research) if i like to do my longer trips in September and October

how does the 11 month home work. does the month you buy it count as the frist month or the month after? just trying to figure out what month i would want to buy around (if i do buy after more research) if i like to do my longer trips in September and October
You can reserve up to 7 nights at your home resort 11 months to the day from the day you plan to check in, but you can't reserve a non-home resort until 7 months before checkin. IOW, today I could book my home resort, BWV, to check in on August 1, 2023 and check out on August 7, 2023, but if I want to stay at Poly the same dates, I have to wait until January 1, 2023 to book.

UY has nothing to do with when you can book, it only determines which points you can use to book. For September and October visits, an August or September UY would be best, and September would work only if you'll never or almost never start your visit in late August.

This thread should be helpful to you - UY is the most confusing aspect of DVC for many members! https://www.disboards.com/threads/understanding-use-year-updated-february-10-2021.1942668/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter