Looking more and more likely we have to cancel March Break trip!

I think if you take the typical "Canadian" precautions that we've all been practicing for the past 2 years, you will be fine - especially as I believe NA will be in much better place by March. I think the anticipation, preparation and worry prior to the trip as so taxing but once you are down there, its much better than expected. We popped down last November and were pleasantly surprized at how much we could control and feel safe - mask wearing, avoiding large/packed crowds etc.

Just remember that you can contract COVID just as easily at the supermarket or the Walmart as you can at WDW. I have been five times since 2020 and have not gotten sick on any of those trips. Most recent was Christmas week last year and the place was packed. Just take the standard precautions and you should be fine.
This always cracks me up! Are there 40000 people daily in your Walmart? Are you standing in line for hours with hundreds of people, many of whom (apparently) lower their masks once in line at Walmart? Do you spend 8+hours a day at Walmart?

It's a numbers game pure and simple. Can you catch it at Walmart: of course. Just as likely as to as going to Disney???

However, as of now we still plan on going. We are driving and the only real thing that concerns me is the possible $5K fine for returning over the border with a positive test; waiting for some real world data on this. Quarantining at home I can deal with.

And for those canceling: it was a 25% week over week decrease in cases down there...let's hope that continues.

This always cracks me up! Are there 40000 people daily in your Walmart? Are you standing in line for hours with hundreds of people, many of whom (apparently) lower their masks once in line at Walmart? Do you spend 8+hours a day at Walmart?

It's a numbers game pure and simple. Can you catch it at Walmart: of course. Just as likely as to as going to Disney???

However, as of now we still plan on going. We are driving and the only real thing that concerns me is the possible $5K fine for returning over the border with a positive test; waiting for some real world data on this. Quarantining at home I can deal with.

And for those canceling: it was a 25% week over week decrease in cases down there...let's hope that continues.
The other concern is the lack of testing available, there has been reports of Canadians not being able to get tested.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/sa...tizens-their-charter-right-to-re-enter-canada
From the article.
One Canadian woman who drove south with her mother and brother to visit family over the holidays, only to have pre-booked tests cancelled in the face of the shortages, reports border officials told her they could return to Canada only if they accepted the $6,200 per person fine –– a sum totalling $18,600. The trio offered to quarantine in Canada, but there is currently no quarantine option available. They had to turn back. “It’s not a choice for us to cross and take the fine,” she told the CBC

Well, okay then...I just had a long conversation with my husband and he said that he does NOT want to cancel the trip! Both adults are boosted and we anticipate our son getting his booster before the trip so we unless things go REALLY sideways over the next 8 weeks, we are back on!
We talked again last night about our celebration trip. We are leaving in 28 days. That is still many days for the numbers to drop in Florida - which they already have. Dh is taking his work laptop with us for if we test positive while down there. He can work remotely. Between us we have lots of holiday days to use up. So it looks like we will be going as well.

We know a few different people who have traveled recently (over xmas) to Florida. Some escaped testing positive, others were not so lucky. It is a roll of the dice if you will contract it or not.

We are fully vaccinated, have had our booster shot. We have done everything we could to protect ourselves. We are moving forward. Our mental health needs this break. We are extremely blessed that we can afford to be able to travel - and have extra funds and holidays if we need to stay longer to quarantine. We work 8+ hours daily out in the public and have since the beginning of this whole thing, I have contracted covid once already, and know that I could again. It's a roll of the dice on who I/We as a family are interacting with daily. But we are healthy and have done everything we could/can to protect ourselves.

I am hoping that soon we can be like the U.K and say we are in the endemic!!!!! My hope for that will not fade!!!!

I am with @Pumpkin1172 in hopes that we will follow UK (and Spain) into a more endemic cycle. And slightly regretting cancelling/moving my cruises but hoping that by May things will have improved even more so it may work out for the best. Things are changing so fast when it comes to restrictions and testing... one province locks down again and another starts to relax things. Who can keep track?

Anybody else watching news this morning, thinking there's going to be a pivotal turn with omicron and covid. Sounds like Feb & march are going to be a turn where we learn to live with it vs control!! Or us it just me?
I really hope so, and I do believe it’s looking that way. I really want this for all of you guys who are planning. I know my mental health has just been taking a beating and I’m sure I’m not the only one. We all need this to end. We aren’t planning a trip until May but just being able to look forward to that is keeping me afloat.
Don‘t give up hope guys, brighter days are coming.

We cancelled our March DCL cruise and DVC resort a little over a week ago.

I can't remember how many cancellations I've done. However, this time, we are fine cancelling because we all agree that we can't risk paying a fine or quarantining in the US.

We did go on an RCL cruise this past Christmas, and even though it was not up to par, and this was only our second RCL cruise, it gave us some enjoyment and we're looking forward to possibly another vacation in the summer.

I do agree that things seems hopeful...

We are also booked on our DVC points .. I called member services yesterday to ask about purchasing the insurance they offer (turns out only for Americans). BUT she did say if we have to cancel within the 30 days due to travel restrictions, employer making you isolate after travel etc… they will make an exception and take the points out of holding. YMMV but that made me feel a bit better about not having to make an decision by Jan 31 (our 31 day deadline).
thanks for sharing that!! I’ll keep that in mind as we get closer to the date.

I’ll do the same as @Pumpkin1172 mentioned and bring my laptop so if someone needs to isolate, I can work from there. Positive thinking!!

Well, okay then...I just had a long conversation with my husband and he said that he does NOT want to cancel the trip! Both adults are boosted and we anticipate our son getting his booster before the trip so we unless things go REALLY sideways over the next 8 weeks, we are back on!
Same thing happened for me. Not Disney, my 40th in Costa Rica booked in 2020. Lol 3rd time we've rebooked for this March. The first cancellation deadline came up last week and I asked my husband what we should do. He looked at me and said "we are f-ing going, this has been too much on you" (holidays this year were a dark time for me). So at this moment, my trip is finally a go. Again though, we can cancel with credit up to March 8, three days before trip. I'm prepared best I can, hopeful, but not quite allowing myself to be excited.

Same thing happened for me. Not Disney, my 40th in Costa Rica booked in 2020. Lol 3rd time we've rebooked for this March. The first cancellation deadline came up last week and I asked my husband what we should do. He looked at me and said "we are f-ing going, this has been too much on you" (holidays this year were a dark time for me). So at this moment, my trip is finally a go. Again though, we can cancel with credit up to March 8, three days before trip. I'm prepared best I can, hopeful, but not quite allowing myself to be excited.
I am in a similar boat...we are a go as of now, and preparing for all scenarios. But I can't let myself get fully excited yet..

We also had our last trip March 2020 just as things were heating up. I am keeping our trip scheduled for end of this March and will watch closely how the next month plays out..

Ugh, I could just cry! We have a big 50th birthday trip planned for March, we rented points from someone for a 2 bedroom suite at the Villas at the Grand California and given the state of the world right now, I think we may have to cancel the whole thing! :sad:

The only good news is that I have not booked anything except the suite but the bad news is that I don't think the reservation can be cancelled so we might be out a fair bit of $$$.

Just venting here, I know many here can sympathize with me. This will be the 3rd birthday in a row that has been messed with because of the situation going on right now.
Go! I have been tracking the numbers in Florida daily and it looks as though they peaked January 10th. I was in the same boat as you with all plans made but we are going to roll with it and be as cautious as we can. I teach kindergarten so I feel I am more at risk at work every day than I would be there.
Just remember that you can contract COVID just as easily at the supermarket or the Walmart as you can at WDW. I have been five times since 2020 and have not gotten sick on any of those trips. Most recent was Christmas week last year and the place was packed. Just take the standard precautions and you should be fine.
That is exactly how I feel. I teach kindergarten and over half my class is too young to be vaccinated. While masks are now mandated , many of the children don't wear them properly or have inadequate masks. Plus I have supervision when they are having snack so I am in the room with 24 unmasked children for over 15 minutes. Even though I am wearing a N95 and safety glasses, my chances of contracting it are quite high. So I feel Disney is not much more risky. Plus my mental health needs it!
If Ontario is almost fully open by March as per the plans released today I think it will make it easier for us to decide to go.
It will be . Things have peaked here and I fully believe we are at the stage where we just need to get on with our lives.

I wouldn't cancel just yet! Allot can improve in 7 weeks. 👍🏻
:scratchin So true - think of where we were 7 weeks ago, before this latest version of the nightmare emerged. Here's to hoping!
For many Canadians, actually getting Covid isn't even the thing. It's medical insurance coverage and the stringent requirements to come back to Canada, which is fraught with potential pitfalls, that's messing us up.
Anybody else watching news this morning, thinking there's going to be a pivotal turn with omicron and covid. Sounds like Feb & march are going to be a turn where we learn to live with it vs control!! Or us it just me?
And many credible voices clamoring for the return testing requirements to be dropped. Even Theresa Tam has spoken out clearly that they are no longer to any avail. Again, here's to hoping!
If Ontario is almost fully open by March as per the plans released today I think it will make it easier for us to decide to go.
:worship:Oh please, please, please! I got a trip to Toronto with tickets to see the Raps play the Lakers (mid-March) as a Christmas gift. Open up attendance at sporting events please!!

FWIW, I went to WDW in October and felt very comfortable with just a few exceptions—mainly parents letting their elementary school age children wear masks incorrectly when inside. I’m boosted so didn’t worry about it too much as I haven’t been around crowds lately so I know I need to get used to crowds again. Decided to try again in early January. I got freaked out by the same things and left a day early given the numbers. Case numbers are falling fast in Florida so I’m going to try it again in February as I didn’t get sick after either visit. BTW, I have an AP and can drive to WDW.

I always masked with KN95 indoors and sometimes outdoors. I didn’t eat inside except for a visit to Oga’s Cantina. CMs can be good about reminding guests to mask up but not always. Please, Disney, do better!

@ronandannette
Will cross my fingers for you. Should you get postponed or cancelled I hope you have luck dealing with ticketmaster. We had Disney on Ice tickets for the end of January which were cancelled due to capacity restrictions. They rescheduled our date to late August and we will be on vacation at that time. When I requested a refund I was told that the event organizers had not authorized a refund as the performance will go on at a new date. I was told by that TM rep to put my tickets up for sale and hope for the best 😡

I received a second email this week from Scotiabank Arena reminding me my event was postponed but if I wanted to exchange or request a refund (same as the initial email) to follow the link and submit a request.,, which I had done 3 weeks ago and was denied. This time success. We will use the $400 refund to book a fireworks desert party on our August vacation at WDW! lol,,
Disney still gets the money 🙄

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter