• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looks like were driving

I just ran all the numbers($$) and total came to: $807.53

gas(home to orlando) One-way $206.87 appox.
lunch (2pp) $30
dinner(2pp) $40
hotel (2pp/Std Rm) Valdosta,Ga (H I Conf Cent cheaper than Express) $131.94
TOTAL: $408.01

gas( orlando to home) One-way $206.88 appox.
lunch (2pp) $30
dinner (2pp) $40
Hotel (2pp/Std Rm) Georgetown,Ky(H I Express close to daughters) $116.84
TOTAL : $398.72

GRAND TOTAL: $807.53 ( this does not count on if gas goes up in price this is at todays prices(5/5)

tigger2ntinkerbell

I just ran all the numbers($$) and total came to: $807.53

gas(home to orlando) One-way $206.87 appox.
lunch (2pp) $30
dinner(2pp) $40
hotel (2pp/Std Rm) Valdosta,Ga (H I Conf Cent cheaper than Express) $131.94
TOTAL: $408.01

gas( orlando to home) One-way $206.88 appox.
lunch (2pp) $30
dinner (2pp) $40
Hotel (2pp/Std Rm) Georgetown,Ky(H I Express close to daughters) $116.84
TOTAL : $398.72

GRAND TOTAL: $807.53 ( this does not count on if gas goes up in price this is at todays prices(5/5)

tigger2ntinkerbell
Throw in an extra hundred for pain and suffering. :rolleyes1

Seriously though, you could fly for less, clearly. :cheer2:

:wizard::wizard: I'm Hoping, now I just have to wait for DH to come home and run the numbers.
This trip does not included if I had to rent at sherton vistana that would be an additional $1,089.76

tigger2ntinkerbell

Travel time: June 12- 19( Sun to Sun) I would like to fly in the day before and if I have to say 1 day after, it's OK with me,then Dh grips about having to book a hotel for a night or 2. Not like we have to be back for work (retired now).

tigger2ntinkerbell

Delta has flights that are $238 (before fees) a person if you leave on Monday the 13th and return either on Saturday the 18th or Monday the 20th. the Sunday to Sunday option you are looking at is the most expensive one in their little flight finder matrix. That is priced at 390! Those prices are from Grand Rapids, so you would have about an hour and a half drive to the airport.

Just checked Air Tran from GRR. You could fly out on the 13th and go home on the 20th for a total of $447.60. That includes taxes and fees.

Delta has flights that are $238 (before fees) a person if you leave on Monday the 13th and return either on Saturday the 18th or Monday the 20th. the Sunday to Sunday option you are looking at is the most expensive one in their little flight finder matrix. That is priced at 390! Those prices are from Grand Rapids, so you would have about an hour and a half drive to the airport.

Just checked Air Tran from GRR. You could fly out on the 13th and go home on the 20th for a total of $447.60. That includes taxes and fees.

I agree, have you checked flights again? Sundays is the most expensive day to fly. Fly on Tue/Wed and you will save a ton. Can you adjust your dates?

We drive 19 hours every Christmas, but there are 4 of us and Christmas/NYE fares are outrageous!! We also stay 2 weeks to make the drive worth it.

I just checked FNT-MCO for Tue-Tue and found:

flight details
Departing: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 Earn 1 A+ credit $99.00 - Coach
Flint, MI (FNT) to Atlanta, GA (ATL) Flight 252
3:48 PM 5:45 PM

Atlanta, GA (ATL) to Orlando, FL (MCO) Flight 867
8:20 PM 9:47 PM

Returning: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 Earn 1 A+ credit $79.00 - Coach
Orlando, FL (MCO) to Flint, MI (FNT) Flight 1245
8:41 PM 11:13 PM

Total $210 each and the return is NONSTOP!! I know the departing time is not ideal, but neither is 19 hours on the road if you can avoid it. Any mishap could increase that 19 hours by several hours.

Another tip, I always book the cheapest flight of the day and either try for standby on earlier flight or wait for one of AT's frequent flight changes and then call and change to what you really want, no fee! Worst case, you fly on what you booked.

HTH!

Gasbuddy trip calculator shows it will cost you $275 roundtrip and that does not factor in using the A/C so the cost will be higher.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/Trip_Calculator.aspx

What about driving to Detroit and flying out of Detroit? Airtran usually has flights for $100 each way. And they are having a sale right now.

Looks like SW airline for Jun 11 - 18 has flights out of DTW for $210 pp.

I can't wait to hear what your DH says!!! I am kinda thinking he will see that flying isnt saving enough $$$ to give up being in Disney in less than 3 hours as opposed to driving for 19hours or more. I think this is gonna be an argument that you will win!!! :goodvibes

In my situation, I live in NJ and my DH told me MANY times before, if we can't afford to fly, then we will not go. He REFUSES to even take driving into consideration at all. :rolleyes:

I agree with the others -- for $700 I would fly! We are going next month from Kalamazoo -- I'm figuring $600-$800 just for gas, a hotel room each way ($200 total) plus food for the trip down and back -- probably about $1000 to drive, plus the annoyance of having to spend all that time in the car!

However, there are 6 of us and it would cost us $1500-$2000 to fly, so we will be driving. In your case, I would definitely fly. Good luck convincing your dh!

19 hours in car, Makes you tired the first day at WDW. Also makes for a long ride home..

I have done many road trips to Flordia from Michigan, though not for many years. While the ride down isn't so bad (everyone is excited, and looking at the scenery) the ride home is exhausting! You are already tired from your vacation, and you just want to be home, yet you are stuck in the car for hours and hours. And you just want to get home already!:headache:

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
Told DH THE PRICE FIRST, then told him the dates. And were flying 1 day early and stay 1 day after.

Departing June 11
DTW 7:02PM arriving at MCO 9:28PM

Returning June 20
MCO 9:22AM arriving at DTW 11:56AM

Total : 2pp RT ( AirTran) $ 444.80

Told DH THE PRICE FIRST, then told him the dates. And were flying 1 day early and stay 1 day after.

Departing June 11

Returning June 20

I am giving you a virtual high-five! I'm so glad you got good fares and won't have to drive. :cheer2:

Departing June 11

Returning June 20

Congratulations, that is great airfare. And two extra days in Disney, definitely a win all the way around. :banana:

We have to go to Disney during Xmas week for a wedding. I thought we would be driving as well as tickets were all $400+ and I have a party of 5. But I kept watching and I was flexible and I found tickets!!! We are flying into Jacksonville and we are connecting, both of which I prefer not to do, but the tickets were only $170 each!!! Keep looking and be flexible. Watch Tampa and Jacksonville as options. Good luck.

Departing June 11

Returning June 20

Yay!!!:banana::dance3::banana:

I'm very happy for you!!!!!:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter