Losing weight before our trip?

I agree it's all about calories in and calories burned. It's possible to lose it just by diet alone but I'd add some sort of exercise. Walking is easy, you can do it anywhere and don't need to spend money on it. You don't need any equipment and no extreme programs, just walk at a steady to fast pace. Don't get me wrong, I do work out at least 3 days a week, normally 5 and I have a workout room in my basement complete with weight machine (which I haven't used in 5 years) eliptical machine, hand weights, yoga mat, stability balls (or unstability balls as we call them in my house) a TV, a DVD player and about 300 DVDs. But all that isn't necessary, just eat healthy and walk.
Pretty sane, solid advice right here. :thumbsup2

Paleo and Beachbody workouts. Walking isn't going to do much for you. Eat a clean Paleo diet and you will drop weight and feel great.
I'd beg to differ. I'd post a photo of my calves for you but they're scary white. I also stand up straighter because of walking and have a pretty solid core. 15,000+ steps and 6+ miles a day and I can run (walk) circles around my 11 year olds. (I'm 49 FTR) I also lost 36lbs last year and have kept it off for a solid year. No special diet, just calories in/calories out. The walking lets me eat more but it's not why I do it and it's not how I keep it off. If I don't get my steps in I just eat less that day.

OP I have nothing against Beachbody but the weight loss industry is about one thing only, money in their pockets. No matter the diet it's all based on the same thing, take in less than you burn and you'll lose weight. Eating whole foods like lean meats, high complex carbs and fruit/veggies will help fill you up for less calories and make you feel good but you don't have to tie yourself to some formula or eat 100% "clean" to be successful with weight loss. Find your balance, eat less, move a little more and you'll lose weight.

Couldn't agree more, most fads you lose then put it right back on. I am shooting for 8-10 lbs a month or 2.5 a week. Realistic and achievable

I don't even look at it in x per month or x per week.
I look at it in "mini goals" and then "dream goals" and don't think about how long it will take.
My first mini goal was to lose 5lbs and keep it off.
My initial dream goal was to lose 5lbs which I did.
Currently my mini goal is to lose 8 more lbs to reach the top of healthy weight according to my BMI.
My final dream goal would be to lose 70lbs total.

Pretty sane, solid advice right here. :thumbsup2

I'd beg to differ. I'd post a photo of my calves for you but they're scary white. I also stand up straighter because of walking and have a pretty solid core. 15,000+ steps and 6+ miles a day and I can run (walk) circles around my 11 year olds. (I'm 49 FTR) I also lost 36lbs last year and have kept it off for a solid year. No special diet, just calories in/calories out. The walking lets me eat more but it's not why I do it and it's not how I keep it off. If I don't get my steps in I just eat less that day.

OP I have nothing against Beachbody but the weight loss industry is about one thing only, money in their pockets. No matter the diet it's all based on the same thing, take in less than you burn and you'll lose weight. Eating whole foods like lean meats, high complex carbs and fruit/veggies will help fill you up for less calories and make you feel good but you don't have to tie yourself to some formula or eat 100% "clean" to be successful with weight loss. Find your balance, eat less, move a little more and you'll lose weight.

Yep gotta agree walking can and has helped me lose 50lbs since April 2016.

I agree it is all about calories but not every burns them at the same rate, so this is the problem. I use an app to track my calories and it sets how many calories I should eat based on my current weight and desire to lose 2 pounds per week. No matter what I do, I rarely or never lose a full 2 pounds, usually 1.5 per week.

In the end eat less/better/smarter and move more. And don't get too focused on only what the scale says. How are you feeling? Are your closing fitting better/loser? These are as important or more than the number on the scale.

After 6 months and 35 pounds I finally had someone mention I was "skinny" the other day. It was nice to have someone notice (even if it wasn't the "right" person ;) )

Remember it took time to gain and will take time to lose! Any fad diet isn't going to give long term permanent results. It's a lifestyle change. You can do it!

The thing I found that stuck was I decided on a weight I wanted to be, and used an online calculator to determine what calories I should have to maintain that weight. That way, when reaching the goal, nothing changes. You don't have to worry about "eating normally" again and worrying if that will cause weight gain. I also allow myself wiggle room. I know I eat more on Fridays, so I eat a little less on Thursday & Saturday. I go for weekly calorie tabs as opposed to strict dailies.

I stick mostly to plant based/whole food eating, but I occasionally have dairy.

I also found now that I am older, I am focusing more on weight training (3x/week) and moderate cardio (2x/week) and just keeping busy in general. I also do Vinyasa yoga once per week. It is sort of a flow type of yoga that gets your heart rate up. If you have Amazon Prime there are a lot of great fitness series included. I also like the Leslie Sansone dvds for cardio.

I just started at the beginning of this month, but I watched a documentary called "What The Health" and it pretty much spooked me into cutting out meat and dairy and going for a more whole foods, plant based diet. I lost 10lbs with no excercize (I've spelled that 20 ways!) so I'm sticking to this one. It takes a bit more creativity in the kitchen but can be done. I'm a creature of habit so it makes it a bit easier for me.

Truthfully, it doesn't matter what plan you go with as long as it's one you can stick to for a long period of time. It is NOT easy to lose weight and keep it off, but it is totally possible. There are times when you will fall off the wagon, but what's important is that you get right back on it. Never give up on yourself and remember that sometimes the scale won't move even with significant progress. Body composition changes even when weight doesn't, so it's important to celebrate non-scale victories too.

Truthfully, it doesn't matter what plan you go with as long as it's one you can stick to for a long period of time. It is NOT easy to lose weight and keep it off, but it is totally possible. There are times when you will fall off the wagon, but what's important is that you get right back on it. Never give up on yourself and remember that sometimes the scale won't move even with significant progress. Body composition changes even when weight doesn't, so it's important to celebrate non-scale victories too.

Agree. Not easy especially when it is a slow weight loss although I found something I could stick to and really the only times I "fall off the wagon" are planned so I don't consider it failing. For example I know around xmas I will be having "snack night" and cookies. Tomorrow I'm going to Disney World so I know I will be eating whatever I want and will gain about 5lbs despite walking 10 miles a day but I know it will come off quickly after I get back to my routine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter