lost passport

clori

DIS Veteran
has anyone ever lost/misplaced a passport at home that they can't find. We simply can't find my daughter's passport and she is hoping to go to Canada in May. I know if she applies for a replacement one and then finds the old one it is not valid. The timeframe is iffy so if she does order a new one tomorrow (walk in place that doesn't need appointments) she will pay for expedited. What I can't figure out is if she currently has 5 year left out of 10 will the replacement one be valid for 5 or 10 years once she gets it. She was at least 16 when she got it so its her first adult passport.

has anyone ever lost/misplaced a passport at home that they can't find. We simply can't find my daughter's passport and she is hoping to go to Canada in May. I know if she applies for a replacement one and then finds the old one it is not valid. The timeframe is iffy so if she does order a new one tomorrow (walk in place that doesn't need appointments) she will pay for expedited. What I can't figure out is if she currently has 5 year left out of 10 will the replacement one be valid for 5 or 10 years once she gets it. She was at least 16 when she got it so its her first adult passport.
Talk to your local post office or local Congressperson. You can also ask the US State department.

With needing the passport in less than three months, does the bolded really matter? I'd have her pay at least half of the costs for the replacement passport (assuming she's the one who lost it).

All new (non-emergency) adult US passports are valid for 10 years (inclusive) from the date of issue. Emergency passports (usually issued at embassies and consulates) are valid for a year and can be renewed at no extra cost where a full 10 year (from the date of issue) passport will be issued.

I haven't lost my own, but my kid's passport card was misplaced, and theoretically that should be submitted if it can be found. I had a photocopy of it and knew the number. It was pretty easy. We went to the San Francisco Passport Agency with an expedited application with reservation and filled a statement of a lost passport (or passport card). If you lost your passport or passport card, that will require a DS-11 application since that wouldn't be eligible for a mail-in renewal. But with an in-person renewal, the lost passport statement can be submitted with the DS-11 application.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/lost-stolen.html

If you're really in a hurry and have a specific itinerary (like an airline reservation) it should be pretty easy to get an expedited passport. It might be possible to just claim when your daughter plans on making the trip. My kid's took two days and we asked to pick it up. But we live close enough to San Francisco. Your closest passport office may or may not be that convenient.

- If she expedites her application, she can get it back by May.
- Her new passport will be good for 10 years from its date of issue.
- But filing it tomorrow sounds unrealistic: she has to get a picture, complete the application and make an appointment -- I'm pretty sure walk-in places don't exist any more.

Sorry yes I am talking about a US Passport. We actually do have one local walk in place for regular and expedited passport (not the emergency ones) that I found when looking up locations. I just called and spoke to a person there to make sure it is open to residents of any city and the website is still accurate. They were closed yesterday. They are open late once a week which is actually Tuesdays so my daughter can go tonight and apply for an expediated passport. She fills out the regular new passport application as well as the lost passport paper and needs to bring in her license and birthcertificate. They do passport photo on site for $15. I confirmed that it will be valid for $10 years vs the remaining time. I am the one who misplaced it.

Sorry yes I am talking about a US Passport. We actually do have one local walk in place for regular and expedited passport (not the emergency ones) that I found when looking up locations. I just called and spoke to a person there to make sure it is open to residents of any city and the website is still accurate. They were closed yesterday. They are open late once a week which is actually Tuesdays so my daughter can go tonight and apply for an expediated passport. She fills out the regular new passport application as well as the lost passport paper and needs to bring in her license and birthcertificate. They do passport photo on site for $15. I confirmed that it will be valid for $10 years vs the remaining time. I am the one who misplaced it.
I lost my passport a few years ago. Sounds like you have everything taken care of, and as long as she pays for the expidited fee (including expidited shipping) she should be just fine.
Sorry you're dealing with this - I know how panic-inducing and frustrating it is!

The number of "passport acceptance facilities" where one can walk in without an appointment is vanishingly low these days. The place I went to for my child's first passport was a university recreational gym. It was great because they were also open on Saturdays. We did have to wait even though I had filled in the application online and printed it out. The guy in front of us asked for an application form to fill out and we were waiting while he was filling it out. That was great but I guess now they require an appointment.

Passport services are available to everyone – you do not need to be affiliated with UC Berkeley to take advantage of these services.​

I think any "passport acceptance facility" is required to be available to anyone applying for a passport, so a location like a city clerk can't be restricted to residents of that city.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter