Lots of Nurses on these boards!?!?

crazymomof4

DIS Veteran
:jester: I've been on these boards for about 2 months now and in that short time have noticed many nurses (like myself) participating.
This finding seems to be disproportionate to other occupations I'm seeing.
Is there some corillation between our chosen profession and Disney? Are most of us outgoing and therefore enjoy chatting and exchanging ideas with people, even those we have never met. Are we all consummate planners by nature? Are we innately organized and apply this even to vacations? (I've been accused of this)
All you RN's and LPN's out there, post your theory on this.

Disney is just a happy place. It takes you away from the real world of caring for sick people, or in my case, people with Alzheimer's disease.
I am also very organized and love to plan. Also, DH says I am not happy unless I am researching something.

For me, Disney and these boards are pure escapism from the stress of our chosen occupation. Much like the fluff romance novels I read as well. DH tries to tell me some days that he works so much harder than me selling RV trailers and he just gets one of these :rolleyes: Knowing that you hold peoples' lives in your hands every day is a stress no one can imagine unless you've lived it, at least it is if you care. So coming here and going to Disney lets me get away from that stress of the profession that I chose and love.

As i tell my students........Nursing process is life !
I think I use it as nauturally as I breath, including planning for vacations !
Also, we do usually make a decent living, and enjoy the hapiness/escapism.....so i vote all of the above !

Don't know if there is a theory:confused: But I bet there's just as many from other professions also:D

Yeah, I would think stress relief as the main reason.....at least in my case!

I think it is the Disney commonality, and not the planning or talking commonality that brings us to the boards. I mean, there are mnany other Internet bulletin boards where we could go to gain info or chat with others. I think the fact that htis is a Disney related baord is what brings many of us here.

I would have to agree with those who said that Disney offers pure escapism from the harsh realities of our jobs.

I originally came to the boards because of that whole got to know it thing that comes with nursing. And the planning part. Got to know to analyze and then plan. I stayed and especially here on the community boards because after an extremely stressful mentally and emotionally day it is a great way to relax.

Both my DW and I are RNs .. My opinion for what is worth , could be related to the fact that we are " onstage" all the time at work. I mean we have to be therepuetic, pleasant, and approachable at all times to all your patients regardless of any personal prejudices we all have We treat patients with dignity and respect even when we are cursed at , spat at and at times physically threatended, or once in my DW 's case assaulted by a family member. . We work long hours, holidays, weekends, nights and evenings. We miss family gatherings, a child's ballgame or rectial, miss out on picnics, ballganes , and other weekend activities. During snowstorms or when there is a state of emergency the hospital tells you to come in and we do.. knowing that everyone you know are home warm and toasty. and if you are at work .. you fear that we may not be allowed to go home for two days. and yet we love what we do.
We are accountable for everything we do. otherwise we can be sued .
We also put on a happy face when we see familes and patients in their most vulnerable times . We listen to the old ladies who are all alone and hold their hands when it is 3 am and they are scared about dying. We also forgoe our lunch breaks when a patient can't let us leave the bedside. We watch people die .

So , both my DW and I love Disney and going to WDW hoping to catch some of that "magic" . Knowing we can smile and enjoy life in a carefree and stressless manner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter