• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lots of sea days on our first ever cruise

iona

DIS Veteran
We’re contemplating booking our first ever cruise in 2024 and are eyeing up one of the transatlantic ones (assuming they’re on the schedule). Given that we’ve never cruised before (two adults both 40+), can people give me the pros and cons of our first cruise being one with lots of sea days please. I think it sounds relaxing but should we pick something shorter? I don’t feel like we’ll be missing out on the ports of call (that’s what city breaks are for) but will we start to feel trapped?

I would never advice a TA as a first cruise... I personally love them but those are really love or hate cruises. Many people are just not liking the amount of CONSECUTIVE seadays. There are def extra activities but I don't want to count the number of trivias and silent discos they had this past September TA....

Also you need to test out your sea legs. Our very first cruise, I brought meds in case my DH experienced motion sickness. I was sure I would not need anything, since i grew up very near the ocean and relatives had small boats. Well guess what - I needed to take the meds, DH did not :-)

I did the TA from the UK to NYC and I LOVED IT! I think there are some people who like Sea Days and some who prefer Port Days.

I read 6 books. Are you the type of person who can entertain yourself or do you need to BE entertained? Are you looking for relaxation? People watching? I did cooking classes. Do you get along really well with your partner? Meaning you can be in the same cabin with each other and not feel like you need to be talking. The only thing that surprised me a little about the crossing was the weather. It wasn't BAD weather. It wasn't raining or stormy but it IS the middle of the Atlantic so up on the pool deck it was breezy and chilly and not sunny. No one was in the pool - I even think it was covered up because of 'waves' in the pool. People were huddled around the Cove Cafe (coffee bar) and there were blankets to keep you warm. There were still indoor activities. Movies. Etc. I also loaded some movies on my iPad. I didn't have any trouble with sea sickness. People used to travel by ship all the time. In the 1950's it took 6 weeks to sail from Australia to London. I got off at the ports in Canada but didn't do any excursions. Bought lots of maple products and went to a grocery store for some munchies (like potato chips). I don't think it's a bad idea for a first cruise. It's an adventure! Oh, and a veranda would be a waste of money unless you can get one cheap - really, it was not a place I would have spent much time. A big porthole would be sufficient IMHO.

Is it the Magic? My favorite ship . . . . it's 'classic'.

I've been on several Panama Canal cruises and I was surprised at the number of 1st time cruisers. If you have friends and/or family that have been on a cruise and they think you would love it, then I'd go for it.

I did the TA from the UK to NYC and I LOVED IT! I think there are some people who like Sea Days and some who prefer Port Days.

I read 6 books. Are you the type of person who can entertain yourself or do you need to BE entertained? Are you looking for relaxation? People watching? I did cooking classes. Do you get along really well with your partner? Meaning you can be in the same cabin with each other and not feel like you need to be talking. The only thing that surprised me a little about the crossing was the weather. It wasn't BAD weather. It wasn't raining or stormy but it IS the middle of the Atlantic so up on the pool deck it was breezy and chilly and not sunny. No one was in the pool - I even think it was covered up because of 'waves' in the pool. People were huddled around the Cove Cafe (coffee bar) and there were blankets to keep you warm. There were still indoor activities. Movies. Etc. I also loaded some movies on my iPad. I didn't have any trouble with sea sickness. People used to travel by ship all the time. In the 1950's it took 6 weeks to sail from Australia to London. I got off at the ports in Canada but didn't do any excursions. Bought lots of maple products and went to a grocery store for some munchies (like potato chips). I don't think it's a bad idea for a first cruise. It's an adventure! Oh, and a veranda would be a waste of money unless you can get one cheap - really, it was not a place I would have spent much time. A big porthole would be sufficient IMHO.

Is it the Magic? My favorite ship . . . . it's 'classic'.
Thanks all, lots to think about. It sounds like it might be safer to go for a shorter first cruise (although the above is us - give me the ability to people watch, my kindle and a gym and I’m good). I do like to be “warm enough” though so it sounds like that’s something else to take into consideration.

I supposed technically I lied when I said neither of us had been on a cruise before. DH has sailed from Singapore to the UK via Australia, which took about as long as it sounds like it ought to! He was only 10 at the time though so I don’t think it counts…

We’re contemplating booking our first ever cruise in 2024 and are eyeing up one of the transatlantic ones (assuming they’re on the schedule). Given that we’ve never cruised before (two adults both 40+), can people give me the pros and cons of our first cruise being one with lots of sea days please. I think it sounds relaxing but should we pick something shorter? I don’t feel like we’ll be missing out on the ports of call (that’s what city breaks are for) but will we start to feel trapped?
Better test out a shorter cruise for your first ever cruise. So many what ifs!
Possible Seasickness, claustrophobia, just don’t like cruising, etc.

Our first on DCL was the 14 night TA cruise and I had no idea if my almost 5 yr old would be seasick or if we would like it. As you can tell by my signature we not only liked it but have booked it many times. I say go for it!

Also you need to test out your sea legs. Our very first cruise, I brought meds in case my DH experienced motion sickness. I was sure I would not need anything, since i grew up very near the ocean and relatives had small boats. Well guess what - I needed to take the meds, DH did not :-)
This! The TA is out on the open ocean = rough seas

While I enjoy both port and sea days I usually prefer them in balance where they alternate a bit. Too many in a row and I get stressed, either bored to tears (sea) or exhausted from too many activities (port).
I would not recommend a TA for your first cruise. The first cruise or two should be a chance to find out what you like or don't like about cruising.

You roll the dice by picking a TA as your first cruise. Maybe you will love it, maybe you won't. Taking a shorter cruise first is a nice way to get your feet wet with much less risk.

My 2 cents.
Good luck!

For two adults this sounds GREAT! However, I'd still echo what others are saying; you need to test out the mechanics of being on a ship, namely some people get very motion sick, not common for it to be severe, but this is not something you can foresee or simulate. Otherwise, this is just a question of "do you get easily bored?", and like a PP wrote: "do you have to BE entertained?" - if this is a "yes" for one of you, then go for a different itinerary.

We'd always been interested in a TA, but chose a 4-night as our first. It's just long enough to give you a feel for cruising without feeling like you have to cram as much as possible into your time, and short enough that if you don't enjoy being confined to the ship, or if you get seasick, or if you just don't care for the experience, you're not stuck out there for a long time.

We haven't been on a transatlantic cruise yet. I personally like sea days, but DH does not. He is making a sacrifice for our upcoming TA cruise in May. 😄

We have not done any cruises less than 7 nights, with a few long cruise (9-14) nights.

We had essentially 6 consecutive sea days on our Panama Canal cruise because a port was cancelled because of a hurricane, but one of those days was going through the canal. DH was getting restless by the time we made it to Columbia. But, there were plenty of activities to do onboard that I felt sufficiently entertained.

In contrast, our med cruise was so full of port days, we felt like we were never on the ship. Our latest cruise, an 11 night to Northern Europe was perfect. We had a sea day after every country visited for a total of 4.

If you're concerned with sea sickness, I would recommend an Alaskan cruise for your first one. You are sailing the Inside Passage for 90% of the cruise and the water is smooth as glass.

It really is a matter of preference. Personally, I prefer the longest cruise I can get.

Go for it! Our first cruise was 10 days with only 2 sea days. We would have loved more sea days to really explore and enjoy the ship. So we just had to take lots more cruises!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter