Love hate relationship with bringing guests

I have a friend who used to stay with me on some trips. A few times she paid for the dining plan for us as payment and the other times she picked up the tab for some meals. I never purposely booked a larger room so we would have our own space although I think a couple of time we did have a 1 BR when I couldn't get a Studio. Eventually she decided she'd rather pay for her own room elsewhere rather than use the pull-out sofas that were the norm anywhere other than OKW. Don't know how she would feel about the Murphy Beds that are in some resorts now but it's been a few years since we took a Disney trip together. I'm at the point in my life now where I'd rather just have my own space & not need to cater to someone else's wishes regarding when & where we needed to be at a certain time. I also find myself canceling dining reservations I spent a lot of time hunting down because I don't want to have to stop what I'm doing to be in a particular place at that specific time. The only reservations I ended up keeping this past trip were Storybook Dining, which I did change to a different date & time while there, and Sangria University.

Obviously a death in the family, sudden illness or accident could happen anytime and that’s something we always know is a possibility. With this particular situation it was none of those things and I am fairly confident they knew it was a potential more than 2 weeks ago. While I’m not mad at them and know this was a risk we accepted, it’s made me frustrated that we may have been able to save over 100 points had we been told just 2 weeks sooner. Because of that, I’m thinking we may need to
I'm always for letting people know as soon as possible it's the polite thing to do. Just saying backing out last minute is just a possibility whenever you invite others. My sister-in-law completely changed our Mexico trip last month 3 weeks in advance due to something that was known and a trip having been planned for 11 months with hotel booked and airfare and that was for our 10th anniversary so a big event, so goes towards so many things not just dvc. It sucks when it happens and not just financially.

Totally think it's a good idea to have a plan and you may have to have several different approaches based on the exact part of people you're inviting some people are better than others on mutual understandings that's for sure.

Not to mention how long it would take us to get the points back again. This was a “put all our points in this basket” kind of trip.
Sorry this happened to you. I’m not DVC but I’ve had a friend bail last minute a couple times and I travel on hotel & CC points that are valuable to me but difficult to value/understand by others. I didn’t ban my friends from traveling with me but I did institute a policy that if I’m buying something I wouldn’t buy alone I tell them if we’re going to do this trip they need to pay X dollars (it’s always still a great rate for them) and I basically set a cancellation policy by clarifying they know they will still owe me X dollars if they cancel for any reason and I can’t recoup what I basically lost because they wanted to come. In turn I agree that I will not cancel the reservation on them if I cannot go. My friends agree to this without issue, I think we all appreciate how it clears out the grey area of finances between us if anything goes wrong.

I've let people know in my traveling party what the deadlines are for me for canceling and the financial impact of that deadline passing and changes being made. 100 points could have been used for something else, but they also have a street value also (renting points). I think communicating clearly what the impact is after certain deadlines for future trips might be useful. For our upcoming trip, one person dropped out and we COULD have moved from a 3 to 2 bedroom place, but everyone liked the privacy created by having the 3 bedrooms so we kept things as they were. Hoping for no more dropouts (crosses fingers).

I've let people know in my traveling party what the deadlines are for me for canceling and the financial impact of that deadline passing and changes being made. 100 points could have been used for something else, but they also have a street value also (renting points). I think communicating clearly what the impact is after certain deadlines for future trips might be useful. For our upcoming trip, one person dropped out and we COULD have moved from a 3 to 2 bedroom place, but everyone liked the privacy created by having the 3 bedrooms so we kept things as they were. Hoping for no more dropouts (crosses fingers).
I did this previously with my Sister in-law who was wishy-washy about going on a prior trip. We were changing from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom just for her so I told her the rental value of that difference and needed a commitment if we were giving that up. We really considered asking her to pay but decided against it and it worked out. I just never expected the outcome with this group.

One of our biggest benefits of owning DVC that we never thought about before buying was being able to take people with us on vacation with us. It’s worked out for us numerous times but it’s finally bitten me in the rear.

We banked and borrowed to make a full week in a 2 bedroom at Boulder ridge happen. Discussed plans several times. And now….two weeks before the trip, two are dropping out. It renders the upgrade to the two bedroom a waste of additional points. Never saw this coming and I feel like this was something they knew was a possibility for several weeks now but never brought it up. We will make the most of the trip but it has made me rethink how we approach these trips in the future. I never want anyone to pay money for points when we offer to cover the room, but without something on the line, I don’t think there is a sense of commitment or responsibility for bailing last minute. They are loosing their ticket $$ since they were military tickets purchased by another family member that is still going. They are upset about it but don’t seem to have any guilt for us booking a room to accommodate them. Not to mention all the dining we booked to accommodate their preferences and schedule.

Upside is, it’s my favorite resort and my dad is still going (so far but at this point nothing will surprise me). Now we can have lots of rest time instead of trying to cram everything in for a first timer. No one will rain on my Disney trip but no more free rooms either.
I feel for you believe me. Are they aware of how it works and what you needed to do(sacrifice) in point to do this or are they just not aware of how this all works?

We took people for at least 15 years (likely more) with some breaks in between. Mostly it worked out but when it didn't more room for us.... Now that 4 of them are no longer with us I have to many points but it usually works out every other year someone wants to come.... After owning for this long I could care less about the points I am staying where I want in the size room i want period.... But I clearly recall anxiety in the first years of ownership. The memories are worth far more even if it is staying at BR with My ? loved this and ? screwed us.

So frustrating :(
Any chance of modifying to a 1BR and selling off some of the points that would be in holding? Not ideal, I know.

Ack sorry this happened to you. I understand the frustration because a similar situation happened to us with our Wyndham points, but fortunately it all worked out in the end, and we didn't lose any points.

We had booked a 2-bedroom, and when an opportunity for a "better" trip with their family in the Fall came up, they decided to do that trip instead of coming with us. I couldn't cancel the 2-bedroom at the time, because there were no studios and 1-bedroom available for our travel dates. I had to stalk the Wyndham sites for weeks to finally get the 1-bedroom for the dates we needed!
It worked out in the end, but I don't want to deal with that again. From this point forward, DVC or Wyndham, we will most likely have an agreement w/ whoever is coming with us that, they will still need to pay us for the points worth even if they cancel, because there's no guarantee we'll get lucky again like last time. If they don't understand or don't like that agreement, they can figure out their own lodging.

I know it sucks, but don't let this bug you too much. Enjoy your time there and have a wonderful, magical vacation!

I feel for you believe me. Are they aware of how it works and what you needed to do(sacrifice) in point to do this or are they just not aware of how this all works?
No, we never had a conversation about how DVC points works. It was more of a “we would love if you came with us and we will cover the room” kind of conversation.

So frustrating :(
Any chance of modifying to a 1BR and selling off some of the points that would be in holding? Not ideal, I know.
Not with less than 2 weeks to go. We are there 8 nights so I knew there would not be a 1 bedroom available for the entire length of stay at the same resort and I didn’t want points in holding to deal with anyway.

No, we never had a conversation about how DVC points works. It was more of a “we would love if you came with us and we will cover the room” kind of conversation.

Not with less than 2 weeks to go. We are there 8 nights so I knew there would not be a 1 bedroom available for the entire length of stay at the same resort and I didn’t want points in holding to deal with anyway.
Points in holding really aren't all that bad especially if you can have some flexibility with dates you go and are ok with any resort. Or rent the points out. It still might be worthwhile to at least do a waitlist for a smaller room. If it happens to match then you can figure out what to do with the points later. If not then you're in the same position as today.

I just finalized my May booking today for a large family trip - its now up to 12 adults and 2 children and 1 infant. So 3 2br units.

We have some family issues that I know can affect the trip last minute and I accept that I could be blowing 2 years or 921 points. But it is one of those situations where you plan for success and deal with issues as they come.

How I manage risk:

I don't promise specific resorts or room types. I don't have enough direct points to do 3 2br at RR so it will be 2 at RR and one at BWV. I book all lockoffs ( and we are all related) so I don't feel bad if I have to mix the 1br and studio occupants but of course I don't mix within the rooms. if parties flake - I can shift room assignments. I let people know that if lets say 3 of the 5 at BWV cant go - I will book a studio somewhere and cancel or rent the 2BR.

I also project manage the vacation.

Today is booking day and I have checked in that all are still on board. They know rooms are booked and points are borrowed and at risk if they don't communicate.

At 7 months plus a week I will check in again - and ask for their flight #s. If they are not booking flights that is a sign they may be waffling and a conversation will happen.

At 3 months I will ask for tickets to be purchased. Again if they are not getting tickets - another red flag.

60 Days out I will make the ADRs and speak to each guest. Final check.

I know that I can rent the BWV Boardwalk view even 60 days out. And I can grab some studios 60 days out for myself even if I have to split stay so I have mitigated most risk.

Last time when we invited another family to go with us, we booked two resort studios at VGF and we asked them to be connected. If the family cancels, at least we can cancel the room and get holding points back to do something with. I think maybe booking a studio and a one-bedroom at some other resorts would work too. I know there is always a chance that the rooms will not be connected, but for a family that might cancel on us, I don’t feel like I need to share a common space with them. 😅

I haven't read the entire thread but, I feel your pain.

I'm not sure I would say it is a problem with people understanding how DVC works so much as people not understanding how travel works in general.

Earlier this year a friend of mine overheard a phone call I made arguing with Delta. She was so impressed she asked if I could help her plan her spring break trip.

Sure, I can do that.

She posted on facebook round about March 1st asking people for advice about traveling to Florida for spring break.

I nearly had a coronary. They stayed local for their vacation thank god.

Another woman commented to me how she was amazed we plan so far in advance for our vacations.

You have to!!!! not just WDW but everywhere!

How do people just fly by the seat of their pants like that?

z
I haven't read the entire thread but, I feel your pain.

I'm not sure I would say it is a problem with people understanding how DVC works so much as people not understanding how travel works in general.

Earlier this year a friend of mine overheard a phone call I made arguing with Delta. She was so impressed she asked if I could help her plan her spring break trip.

Sure, I can do that.

She posted on facebook round about March 1st asking people for advice about traveling to Florida for spring break.

I nearly had a coronary. They stayed local for their vacation thank god.

Another woman commented to me how she was amazed we plan so far in advance for our vacations.

You have to!!!! not just WDW but everywhere!

My in-laws came with us to Cancun in April and they both commented how they would have been lost without us doing the planning and they were so thankful for our research. It was our trip we planned but invited them along. We generally are the planners of the family. They are a lot of times the fly by the seat of their pants type people and would be like that in Disney although my mother-in-law knows about park reservations they really wouldn't know how to set up MDE well, use the app, and genie+. They wouldn't mind spending the money because that's how they are but I could totally see them showing up at Disney and just going from there. TBH though they are the type of people that wouldn't come back home complaining about such an experience although I could see them saying Disney is overrated.

I think most people do not understand how time shares, and DVC, work. They may not plan many vacations, and even if they do, they think of hotels that can be cancelled and changed last minute. A few times, we donated DVC stays to charity auctions - it was a nightmare, no matter how carefully it was explained up front — lesson learned by me, sell the points and donate cash.

for friends, there is only one couple we are willing to invite, we cover room, but then they cover meals (not because we ask, but it makes them feel better). It’s tough to share DVC with others. I think the details of planning Disney overwhelm most people.

Our Millennial kids do that. They booked a trip to the Big Island of Hawaii about 2 or 3 months in advance, stayed in 2 different Airbnb rentals on opposite sides of the island. Last summer they spent a long weekend in Montana that they booked last minute due to a special airfare deal.

Timeshare vacations pretty much require long-term planning, but you can get last-minute reservations in the much-less popular resorts.

IOW many people fly very well by the seat of their pants, and they don’t realize that DVC/WDW doesn’t work that way.

I do all the time and have my whole life. Really not a big deal IMO. I just wait for all the people who plan way in advance then realize they can't make the trip to cancel and then snag their awesome accommodations. lol That is not for DVC but prior to buying would often do Disney the same way.

Not DVC but prior to purchasing would often do Disney the same way.

(Not a millennial either. Just a person. :laughing:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter