Lovely day at Dland yesterday (Nov12)

chezcurrie

DIS Veteran
Thought I’d post a positive report from the lovely day I had with my youngest DS6 yesterday - this was my second 1:1 Disney date with my 3 boys since we relocated to SoCal (DS13 is up next!)

Crowds were significantly better than the mess that was October (and so so so so *so* much better than the absolute insanity that was WDW in October - truly we DLers should be thankful!) This is likely because of Enchant Keys being blocked (sure glad I upgraded to Believe.) Very glad we escaped the mosh pit influencer insanity of Friday!

**side note for OOT guests: check the blockout dates for Mkey and release dates for new/seasonal stuff, it could impact your Friday-Sun in particular**

We stuck to DL only and my personal rule of 3’s: 3 rides (must do/priorities), 3 treats (usually not all on one day but whatever) ;) and a ~ 3 hr break! We went off of what he felt like doing, even if it meant cancelling a G+ or taking an earlier break than I had anticipated. He also did not want to wait for the parade (original plan) so we went to the shooting gallery instead and I cried happy tears remembering doing the same thing with my late father. Honestly it was perfect.

His 3’s were:
Haunted Mansion Holiday, space mountain (first time!), Pooh
Mickey Waffles, dole whip, corn dog (mobile ordered in the morning along with some jolly holiday combo for me)

We managed 9 rides (could have done more but he called it), several trips on the railroad, plaza inn breakfast (Minnie waffles!), nice mid day break at the GCH lobby (not crowded at all) and most importantly one very happy and Disneyland exhausted kiddo.

Things I would have done differently:
  • allowed more time from arrival to gate. It took an hour from getting off the 5 to entering the park.
  • booking a later brunch at the GCH. This would have let us take advantage of those shorter ride times in the am before taking our break, plus better food and ambiance. Once 10am hit the return times for G+ were odd and standby was looong. Would have been nice to knock out one more non G+ ride at that time.
  • Remembered to take a photo of my parking section. Yup, I was that person hitting her lock button at the end of the night. Lol
After all the recent reports I was honestly so surprised at how seamlessly things went. Sure, we had one elusive ride (big thunder) that went down right as we were about to board, but that also gave us not 1 but 2 MEP we were able to use for rides that don’t typically have them. And since that wasn’t one of my son’s “must do’s” it was no big.

One thing I noticed (at least compared to October crowds and WDW) was the guests seemed more chill. Not sure how to describe it but the “frenzy” of late didn’t seem to be there.

Now the next son’s day is gonna be a doozy… He is all about the e-ticket rides and is used to rider swap so he can re-ride. Gotta manage those expectations somehow! Lol

Chezcurrie, your "rule of 3s" is a charming and practical idea! It gives children agency and creates a bit of structure to the day without overplanning. If you hit all those items, you'll all feel that the day was a success, then everything else is gravy!

Regarding finding your car, if by chance you have an iPhone, there's a setting that will record the last location where the phone was paired with a car. Then when you want to find the car again, you can bring up Apple Maps, look for the "Parked Car" icon, and head towards that. Granted, that feature might be flaky in a parking garage due to the garage blocking GPS signals, and I'm not sure that it can properly display elevation as well as latitude and longitude, but it would be a start anyway!

Chezcurrie, your "rule of 3s" is a charming and practical idea! It gives children agency and creates a bit of structure to the day without overplanning. If you hit all those items, you'll all feel that the day was a success, then everything else is gravy!

Regarding finding your car, if by chance you have an iPhone, there's a setting that will record the last location where the phone was paired with a car. Then when you want to find the car again, you can bring up Apple Maps, look for the "Parked Car" icon, and head towards that. Granted, that feature might be flaky in a parking garage due to the garage blocking GPS signals, and I'm not sure that it can properly display elevation as well as latitude and longitude, but it would be a start anyway!
I will remember that for next time! I knew the general vicinity but was so excited in the am for our adventure I forgot to make note!

The rule of 3’s started as we have 3 boys - so every WDW or Dland trip they each would pick their top 3’s (for the trip, not all in one day, lol!) It helps us prioritize (ir that moment of FOMO when you see jungle cruise has a low wait! But hold on, is it a priority? Etc.) It came in very handy when Big Thunder shut down right as we were about to board!!!

Thought I’d post a positive report from the lovely day I had with my youngest DS6 yesterday - this was my second 1:1 Disney date with my 3 boys since we relocated to SoCal (DS13 is up next!)

Crowds were significantly better than the mess that was October (and so so so so *so* much better than the absolute insanity that was WDW in October - truly we DLers should be thankful!) This is likely because of Enchant Keys being blocked (sure glad I upgraded to Believe.) Very glad we escaped the mosh pit influencer insanity of Friday!

**side note for OOT guests: check the blockout dates for Mkey and release dates for new/seasonal stuff, it could impact your Friday-Sun in particular**

We stuck to DL only and my personal rule of 3’s: 3 rides (must do/priorities), 3 treats (usually not all on one day but whatever) ;) and a ~ 3 hr break! We went off of what he felt like doing, even if it meant cancelling a G+ or taking an earlier break than I had anticipated. He also did not want to wait for the parade (original plan) so we went to the shooting gallery instead and I cried happy tears remembering doing the same thing with my late father. Honestly it was perfect.

His 3’s were:
Haunted Mansion Holiday, space mountain (first time!), Pooh
Mickey Waffles, dole whip, corn dog (mobile ordered in the morning along with some jolly holiday combo for me)

We managed 9 rides (could have done more but he called it), several trips on the railroad, plaza inn breakfast (Minnie waffles!), nice mid day break at the GCH lobby (not crowded at all) and most importantly one very happy and Disneyland exhausted kiddo.

Things I would have done differently:
  • allowed more time from arrival to gate. It took an hour from getting off the 5 to entering the park.
  • booking a later brunch at the GCH. This would have let us take advantage of those shorter ride times in the am before taking our break, plus better food and ambiance. Once 10am hit the return times for G+ were odd and standby was looong. Would have been nice to knock out one more non G+ ride at that time.
  • Remembered to take a photo of my parking section. Yup, I was that person hitting her lock button at the end of the night. Lol
After all the recent reports I was honestly so surprised at how seamlessly things went. Sure, we had one elusive ride (big thunder) that went down right as we were about to board, but that also gave us not 1 but 2 MEP we were able to use for rides that don’t typically have them. And since that wasn’t one of my son’s “must do’s” it was no big.

One thing I noticed (at least compared to October crowds and WDW) was the guests seemed more chill. Not sure how to describe it but the “frenzy” of late didn’t seem to be there.

Now the next son’s day is gonna be a doozy… He is all about the e-ticket rides and is used to rider swap so he can re-ride. Gotta manage those expectations somehow! Lol

Thank you! Sounds like a great trip!

Curious what time you got off the 5 that it took an hour. Trying to plan my one day trip this week

Thank you! Sounds like a great trip!

Curious what time you got off the 5 that it took an hour. Trying to plan my one day trip this week
We are in north county San Diego, and arrived at 8:20 at the structure. The hour was the time it took us to get through to pay, park, tram and enter Disneyland. I haven’t timed my day trips lately but I would give at least 45 min if you are arriving in the morning hours.

We are in north county San Diego, and arrived at 8:20 at the structure. The hour was the time it took us to get through to pay, park, tram and enter Disneyland. I haven’t timed my day trips lately but I would give at least 45 min if you are arriving in the morning hours.

Thank you! It’s been forever since I have been to DL. And even longer since I parked there (literally, the lot I used to park at when I lived in So Ca because DCA I think 😂

Since this is just a day trip, I’m not doing a hotel nearby. So figuring out the parking it is!

I’m so glad you had a lovely day! We went back this morning because it’ll be the only time my husband can experience the holidays due to his work schedule… we pulled into the Toy Story lot at 6:58am and were scanned into Disneyland by 7:25. Today was lovely…. Way fewer crowds than October and a million times better than this past Friday!

The Disneyland app also has a new "Car Locator" feature in the latest update (you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the hamburger (three lines) menu page). After you've parked your car, you can have it save your car's location automatically if you have location services enabled, and manually enter your location (Dumbo 2C or whatever) if you don't.

What a wonderful day! I'm glad you had so much fun and that your son had a magical day. I am totally going to use your 3 things ideas next time!
It doesn’t work for every child - just asked my 13 year old his top 3 and he listed off 6. 🤣 that said, I changed our starting park to ensure he got incredicoaster and Guardians (the first 2 he mentioned).

We went to both DCA and DL and had a wonderful experience as well. EVERYONE seemed so happy and chill. No signs of low staffing, rides were back up quickly when they went down, food was all great, no long lines for food, plenty of tables, standby lines not too bad and perfect weather. Will be back next Saturday!

We went to both DCA and DL and had a wonderful experience as well. EVERYONE seemed so happy and chill. No signs of low staffing, rides were back up quickly when they went down, food was all great, no long lines for food, plenty of tables, standby lines not too bad and perfect weather. Will be back next Saturday!
Glad it wasn’t just the Pollyanna in me! I too felt people were just less … crazed. Enjoy next Saturday as well!

Glad it wasn’t just the Pollyanna in me! I too felt people were just less … crazed. Enjoy next Saturday as well!
Same here!! Went this past Saturday 11/12 and overall felt much more relaxed. Parks were naturally still busy but the 'tension' was gone, maybe the holiday time lightens mood too. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter