• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Luck with port upgrades

JM_97

DIS Veteran
For those who have sailed from Port Canaveral recently, what has been your luck with requesting a stateroom upgrade at check in? I know it's not guaranteed, but I'm contemplating settling for an inside or ocean view room room with hopes of upgrading at the port. This would be on a 5 night Bahamas cruise on the Fantasy.

For those who have sailed from Port Canaveral recently, what has been your luck with requesting a stateroom upgrade at check in? I know it's not guaranteed, but I'm contemplating settling for an inside or ocean view room room with hopes of upgrading at the port. This would be on a 5 night Bahamas cruise on the Fantasy.
I visit the Cruise Critic site often, and have heard port upgrades are pretty much non-existent anymore.

If you're sailing as a party of one or two, the upgrade cost among non-concierge staterooms will be the same at the port as it is in advance. No discount. Plus, many sailings are sold out.

What's the benefit of upgrading at the port vs booking an upgraded room?

What's the benefit of upgrading at the port vs booking an upgraded room?
My understanding is that upgrading at port doesn't take into account number of passengers, so if you upgrade at port a family of 4 or 5 to a higher category, you can save money. But that doesn't save any money if you're sailing as a party of 1 or 2, which is the base price for any stateroom. I'm not sure if that upgrade discount info for families I shared is still (or ever was) accurate, because I never tried to upgrade while sailing as more than a party of two, but that is what I read on these boards. I've also heard about significant discounts for upgrades to concierge staterooms, but there is rarely availability for those at port.

What I can tell you from my own experience, is that if you're sailing as a party of two, and try to upgrade from one non-concierge stateroom to another, there is no discount. The prices quoted to me were the same as what I would have paid in advance.

Our sailings in the fantasy this year have all been full. There was a sign at guest services stating no upgrades. I would pick the cabin I wanted.

We just did a late booking for Wish with a standard inside stateroom (11B) and got an upgrade at the port to a 4B Deluxe Oceanview Family Stateroom. The manager had a whole list of rooms available for the cruise.

ETA: first room out of the gate he offered was the Tower Suite. I politely declined.

We just did a late booking for Wish with a standard inside stateroom (11B) and got an upgrade at the port to a 4B Deluxe Oceanview Family Stateroom. The manager had a whole list of rooms available for the cruise.

ETA: first room out of the gate he offered was the Tower Suite. I politely declined.
What was the upgrade charge to tower on the day of?

We tried the week after Thanksgiving and got a call once on the ship from guest services saying there was not an upgrade for us. Our room ended up being great and it was already upgraded from what we thought we would get. We would have preferred to be forward (which is what we tried to “upgrade to”) rather than midship/aft but it ended up being fine and we loved the extra family room space. Not sure how we will go back to a normal size room 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter