Luggage and DME

Just think of it like this, DME handles millions and millions of bags and they make it to the rooms just fine. You trust the airline with your bag. You should trust DME with your bag too.
Yeah, I realize trust and airlines and bags don't really go well together but if you are comfortable enough with the airlines to check a bag you should be comfortable enough to let DME take it. I venture to bet DME loses fewer bags than the airline does, even taking in to account that they handle fewer bags over all.

We have flown many times and always use DME, sometimes even without yellow tags, and haven't had issues. They are good at what they do.

We always use DME & I love it. In fact, I have more confidence in DME getting my bag from MCO to my room than I do in my airline getting my bag from point A to point B. Just put those yellow tags on your bags and you’re good to go.
DME pulls the bags at the airport before they come near the carousels, load them on the DME trucks and deliver them to the various WDW resorts, usually a couple of hours after you arrive. We usually go over to the MK after we stow our carry on luggage in our room & when we come back the suitcases are magically in the room.
One time 8 or 9 years ago at GF my suitcase wasn’t magically there - Bell Services found it in the computer system still at the airport & they got it to me later that night around midnight, they did offer to bring it in the a.m. but since I was still biologically on west coast time it was 9 pm to me so I said I’d like it delivered that night and it was :)

I have a luggage tag so the DME can get my suitcase for me and deliver it to the hotel, but part of me is paranoid. I suppose I could get my bag myself, but I like the idea of booking it straight to the DME when I get off the plane. Has anyone ever had any bad experiences with luggage transportation? Is it reliable? I’m just afraid my luggage will get lost.
I would not use DME for a long time. Then, I decided to do it. We use it every time we go now. It is great. Also, we have been very fortunate that our luggage has been delivered very quickly. Guess we have been lucky.

We've never had an issue with DME, I just like to grab my bags myself so I have them. I like to get to the room and unwind a little bit before heading out, and unpacking helps. I'm too excited to sleep, so I unpack my stuff and then head out.

If we do DME - never did it before - we will get our own luggage (no Disney tags) - and ask it to loaded onto the bus
Our flight arrives in at MCO at 9:30 PM
Luggage in hand off the MCO JETBLUE carousel by 10:15 PM
Then get on the DME bus by 11 PM (we hope)
We want our luggage with us at that hour :)

Be at our resort by midnight?

2:40pm on March 4th.

Thank you both for your replies. I’ve just never done DME before.
MDE and Resort Airline check in is one of the main reasons husband and I keep coming back. You put your yellow tag on your bag, check it at your home airport and the next time you see it is in your hotel room ! It is so so great. Then going home, just check your luggage with tsa in the lobby of your hotel and the next time you see it is at your home airport. Have done it about 13 times.

2:40pm on March 4th.

Thank you both for your replies. I’ve just never done DME before.
Very low estimate, DME transports 10,000 have daily from airport to resorts.
n my experience, I received my luggage about 4 hours after landing.
If we do DME - never did it before - we will get our own luggage (no Disney tags) - and ask it to loaded onto the bus
Our flight arrives in at MCO at 9:30 PM
Luggage in hand off the MCO JETBLUE carousel by 10:15 PM
Then get on the DME bus by 11 PM (we hope)
We want our luggage with us at that hour :)

Be at our resort by midnight?
Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on passenger load, and the order of drop-offs.

Please note that it's customary to tip anyone who handles your luggage, including the DME driver.

We have used DME and never had an issue at all. Just remember to pack what you need for your first night in your carryon ( as well as your bathing suit) then you will not be concerned what time your bags are delivered to your room. (We usually arrive the same time as you and our bags are there when we come back from dinner)

I second the suggestion to pack another set of clothes! We had a luggage issue last weekend and two of our bags were missing - one was delivered. We arrived at 2:30 p.m., changed into our carry-on shorts, etc. and went to Disney Springs. We returned around 10:00 p.m. to find only one bag (the kids' bag). My husband's and my two suitcases weren't there. Long story short, the resort had a record that they were received from the airport and checked into the resort but there was some mix-up and they didn't make it to our room. Long story short, our bags were found in the middle of the night. Luggage services left a message on the room phone at about 4 a.m. As soon as I noticed and called back, we had our luggage in about 20 minutes and in plenty of time for us to get up and going for our morning showers. But the resort's luggage services people were very attentive and we received great guest service. So this was a mix-up and not the norm and they found them pretty quickly considering.

That whole time, I was kicking myself for not packing another full day's worth of clothes for us so I will definitely be doing that in the future - just in case. But I will send the luggage with DME in the future - after hearing about their luggage check-in and accountability processes, I was impressed. Our incident was definitely not the norm. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter