• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Luggage help - opinion needed

3angelsmom

Mouseketeer
I have been researching luggage since before our last trip. I made a huge mistake and bought a suitcase so large that filling it put me way over the weight limit. I also bought a rolling carry on for DH that was mid-priced and got great reviews on overstock.com, but after only a few uses the inside is ripping and the outer zipper pull came off.

So I would really like a carry on to use for an upcoming short trip as well as a larger suitcase for DH and I to share and pair with our own carry ons for week-long trips (the kids each have their own which have help up pretty well). I would really like to get these two pieces for under $200 with decent quality.

Living Social is offering a 3 pc Heys set for $149 (75% savings) model # D204Q hard sided spinner, consisting of a 25", 21" and 9.5" vanity case (don't care about this, but it's included). Sorry, I don't know how to post the link. I also had my eye on a 2 pc Samsonite soft sided spinner set @ Costco for under $150 but I can't find it on line.

I thought Heys was a good brand but it's getting mediocre reviews on-line. Your opinions please? Or can you suggest something else? TIA

I researched luggage a bit last year and was going to buy online, but was uncomfortable with buying it sight unseen (I shop for books and such no problem, but wanted to be able to touch and feel the suitcases, to help determine the quality). Similar to the above poster, I wound up scouring local Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx, etc. until we found two Samsonite pieces we like for around $200 total.

Hope that helps!

I also bought a new piece last year. I have the Samsonite. I got it from kohls. They had it on sale plus I had 30% off! I bought the spinner wheels mid size one. The larger one put me over the weight. Love this one! Hope to get another one

I am not sure if you have a Garden Ridge in your area, but i was able to buy a couple of 28" pieces the other day for $34.99 each. They also carry many other sizes, types & colors of luggage pieces. Our previous sets we bought came from kohls & walmart not sure what the brands are anymore, but they didn't make it very many trips.

I highly recommend Delsey.

We've been beating up, I mean using ours for over five years. DH and I travel a LOT and it's holding up perfectly. Plus our son has used his just as long traveling with the marching band and now back and forth from college.

These things can take a beating and are lightweight. LOVE my luggage!!

Oh and Kohls has them on sale often or ebags has decent prices.

I had a totally opposite experience with Delsey. Both of my expensive Delsey 27" bags got totally destroyed (shattered frame) on their first flight. :sad2:

I've had awesome luck with my eBags brand Mother Lode Jr bags. I have 2 of them, and they've been on 25+ trips through airports and cruise ships, and still look brand new. They have a lifetime warranty, although I don't think I'll ever need it. They're normally around $150-$160 each, depending on the current sale, and available coupon code. If you get them and don't like them, you can ship them back for free. I have the 25" version, which is perfect. If I pack it tightly, it usually weighs in at around 47 or 48 lbs. They have a larger 29" version too, but if fully packed it would probably go over the 50 lb airline limit. They also have smaller carry on size bags. I recommend watching the video on the eBags website, it's very informative.

I plan on asking for new luggage for Christmas so I will be watching this thread with interest. I don't mind paying more for quality but I am unsure what to get.
I bought dd a new suitcase for Disney last year, and the pull up handle was broken and it was filthy when we got it off the carousel. So sturdy and dark colour is a must for me now.

sherry7 said:
I had a totally opposite experience with Delsey. Both of my expensive Delsey 27" bags got totally destroyed (shattered frame) on their first flight. :sad2:

I've had awesome luck with my eBags brand Mother Lode Jr bags. I have 2 of them, and they've been on 25+ trips through airports and cruise ships, and still look brand new. They have a lifetime warranty, although I don't think I'll ever need it. They're normally around $150-$160 each, depending on the current sale, and available coupon code. If you get them and don't like them, you can ship them back for free. I have the 25" version, which is perfect. If I pack it tightly, it usually weighs in at around 47 or 48 lbs. They have a larger 29" version too, but if fully packed it would probably go over the 50 lb airline limit. They also have smaller carry on size bags. I recommend watching the video on the eBags website, it's very informative.

I love my eBags luggage. I have a 21" TLS and two 24" XO spinners. Packed those three bags for four of us for a 7 night cruise. The spinners fit under the bed on the Magic.

Any reviews on Vera Bradley luggage here? I just bought the 27" spinner and would love to know what to expect...

we have 2 of the Mother Lode bags and I love them! I find them to be durable and very space efficient. I packed mine full (and I mean FULL!!) and kept it just under the 50 lb limit. Love the bottom with the adjustable "shelves" to keep things organized. :thumbsup2

I have a Heys carry on, and I like it fine. The space inside seems more limited than my other carry ons, but I wanted something hard sided for electronics. My daughter just received the Samsonite set from Costco as a shower gift. They seem very nice, but she hasn't used them yet.

we have 2 of the Mother Lode bags and I love them! I find them to be durable and very space efficient. I packed mine full (and I mean FULL!!) and kept it just under the 50 lb limit. Love the bottom with the adjustable "shelves" to keep things organized. :thumbsup2

I REALLY didn't think I wanted a rolling duffel, but after watching the video.....I think I'm in love:love:

All of the amazing features and pockets and "shelves" are perfect!

I REALLY didn't think I wanted a rolling duffel, but after watching the video.....I think I'm in love:love:

All of the amazing features and pockets and "shelves" are perfect!

I know! I didnt want a rolling duffle either because the ones I was familiar with were just one big space...no organization. But the Mother Lode is great, lots of organizing features.

Thank you. I am still confused about what sizes I need. That gives me some perspective.

I was interested in buying a cool luggage too, but never had the time to research. It gives me a little perspective too.

3angelsmom said:
I have been researching luggage since before our last trip. I made a huge mistake and bought a suitcase so large that filling it put me way over the weight limit. I also bought a rolling carry on for DH that was mid-priced and got great reviews on overstock.com, but after only a few uses the inside is ripping and the outer zipper pull came off.

So I would really like a carry on to use for an upcoming short trip as well as a larger suitcase for DH and I to share and pair with our own carry ons for week-long trips (the kids each have their own which have help up pretty well). I would really like to get these two pieces for under $200 with decent quality.

Living Social is offering a 3 pc Heys set for $149 (75% savings) model # D204Q hard sided spinner, consisting of a 25", 21" and 9.5" vanity case (don't care about this, but it's included). Sorry, I don't know how to post the link. I also had my eye on a 2 pc Samsonite soft sided spinner set @ Costco for under $150 but I can't find it on line.

I thought Heys was a good brand but it's getting mediocre reviews on-line. Your opinions please? Or can you suggest something else? TIA

Check online at E-bags. They have some terrific prices and with free shipping. I just bought my DH a Samsonite Glyde, 21", 25'" And carry one all for under $150. Its a nice looking suitcase, and sturdy! Check them out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter