Luggage pricing difference, ridiculous!

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Looking to pick up some new, affordable luggage and I think I will just go with this. But look at the price difference at Macy's vs. Target, absurd!
Screenshot_20240215_121513_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240215_121811_Target.jpg

There's something weird going on there. That same set is $179 at Walmart, but over $650 dollars at a couple of other sites, and I think I saw it for $99 elsewhere. I'm guessing it's some sort of weird pricing error. A ton of this stuff is sold by third parties through places like Walmart, Target, Macy's (and obviously Amazon, where it is marked down to $129 from $239), on their web sites (that brand isn't even carried in-store at Macy's) etc., and it's sold at whatever price that third party lists it at. Definitely pays to shop around.

That's so weird, on the Travelers Club website, the green 3 pc is listed for $635.

Ali Express has the set for $101.
That's what I was saying. I honestly think it's a third-party vendor in China, posting the exact same set of luggage on a variety of websites at what they think they might be able to get for the stuff, based on where it's listed. The website operators just post the listing and it's never even in their retail inventory.

I'd keep in mind that not all products are created equal. Often companies will offer a stripped-down, lower quality, possibly even smaller product that looks identical but with a different SKU. Not saying that is the case here. I'd also agree, as mentioned above, that department stores will also have higher prices, but more aggressive sales.

Edit to add that this is common at warehouse clubs like Costco and Sam's Club.

Kohl's is famous for this.
JC Penny famously tried to do away with this. They priced items without the markup, but also removed the discount, of course. So a shirt was just priced at $25 instead of $50 with a 50% discount.

Can you guess what happened? Sales dropped 20%. People like to be tricked into thinking they are getting a deal.

The reviews generally say it's ok for infrequent travel but who knows. People complain about appliances not lasting and all of mine are 17-30 years old. Probably just jinxed myself.

* I take it back, I buy a new washer at least every 5 years.

The reviews generally say it's ok for infrequent travel but who knows. People complain about appliances not lasting and all of mine are 17-30 years old. Probably just jinxed myself.

* I take it back, I buy a new washer at least every 5 years.
For us, it's the dryer that goes out. But, the new dryer then doesn't match the old washer, so we need to get a new washer as well....

Oh, and we bought an HE washer a few years back, one without an agitator, and hated it. Replaced it with a different model (but at least it still matched the dryer).

For us, it's the dryer that goes out. But, the new dryer then doesn't match the old washer, so we need to get a new washer as well....

Oh, and we bought an HE washer a few years back, one without an agitator, and hated it. Replaced it with a different model (but at least it still matched the dryer).
I never try to match them.

I never try to match them.
We have the matching LG washer and dryer as the washer had died and the dryer was on the way out. But we have non (color) matching pedestals. I wasn't about to spend full price when I could get them for half price because they were a different color.

We have the matching LG washer and dryer as the washer had died and the dryer was on the way out. But we have non (color) matching pedestals. I wasn't about to spend full price when I could get them for half price because they were a different color.
Don't talk to me about pedestals...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter