luggage & timing with WDW resort Disney transport

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
I did some research but just checking to see if this is still the procedure...

If you use WDW transport, will they still grab your luggage from your room even if you're not there? Or do you have to contend with bell services at the time of your bus departure?

Also when do you find out your pickup time? is it reasonable to spend the morning at Disney springs or a different resort rather than hang around your own resort? What is the latest ADR you could safely make at a breakfast not at your resort?

I am SO on the fence about this. Single mom traveling with my son so none of the limo options make financial sense for just two of us.

Have a car reserved for the same price as Disney transport so I can control my destiny but it also introduces a lot more hassle.

Thinking of just taking the disney bus and going with the flow honestly but trying to figure out what to do that morning because just waiting around is tough for the kiddo (would be tough at the port too if we get there too early so was hoping to time it in the sweet spot of right around noon arrival.) Staying at the Boardwalk. Anyone know recent pickup times from there? not that it may matter in February.

The evening before a letter is left under your door that explains the process and tells you your pickup time, where to meet, etc. And when they will pick up your checked bags from your room. If you don't get it or want to know a bit earlier in the day, go to the front desk and ask if they can give you a copy.

They will pick up your tagged checked bags even if you are not there. We make sure any other bags are over at the opposite side of the room so there is no mistaking what is the checked bags for them to pick up vs our carryon bags.

We've been picked up as early as 11:30, which required meeting at 11:15 in the lobby, and pickup times CAN be earlier than that. It would depend entirely on your resort location what you would have time to do.

We prefer to just do QS for breakfast that morning, that way we don't have to worry about trying to fit it in. And if we wanted to and had time, we could go to another resort and enjoy their QS.

We enjoy the bus and find it a nice relaxing way to start the cruise.

SW

We have also enjoyed using the DCL bus. When DD was younger we would let her hang out at the pool at the resort before we had to go on the bus. I also enjoyed getting to a less crowded terminal and being able to board right away. If you're lucky, your stateroom will be available and you won't have to lug your carry ons around the ship.

I did some research but just checking to see if this is still the procedure...

If you use WDW transport, will they still grab your luggage from your room even if you're not there? Or do you have to contend with bell services at the time of your bus departure?

Also when do you find out your pickup time? is it reasonable to spend the morning at Disney springs or a different resort rather than hang around your own resort? What is the latest ADR you could safely make at a breakfast not at your resort?

I am SO on the fence about this. Single mom traveling with my son so none of the limo options make financial sense for just two of us.

Have a car reserved for the same price as Disney transport so I can control my destiny but it also introduces a lot more hassle.

Thinking of just taking the disney bus and going with the flow honestly but trying to figure out what to do that morning because just waiting around is tough for the kiddo (would be tough at the port too if we get there too early so was hoping to time it in the sweet spot of right around noon arrival.) Staying at the Boardwalk. Anyone know recent pickup times from there? not that it may matter in February.
If you're staying at the Boardwalk, you can take your son to the Community Hall (over by the 'quiet pool' on the Villas side) He could watch TV, play games (board, wii/nintendo, and a couple free arcade ones), do crafts, etc, to help the time go by easier!

As far as a breakfast ADR on departure day, you might look at the restaurants at the Swan/Dolphin so you're in walking distance of your resort vs. having to rely on a bus to get you back in time.

I would probably go with Disney transport, just for the ease of it, especially if you're only renting a car for that day. We haven't done it yet, so I can't give any input.

@Lisa F So I always try to minimize what can go wrong so...

When we did this, I called bell services ahead of time to come pick up the "checked" bags. When we left the resort, I gave them the "carry on" bags to hold. It keeps to confusion to a minimum. Personally we didn't like the DCL bus experience from the resort to the ship. It got us there too late, for us, and we were the first pickup (12:15 I think) so we sat on the bus , to quote the kids, "Like FOOOREVERRRRR Dad" There's 5 of us so we come out ahead not using the Disney buses (I still use them between the Ship and the airport so they handle the luggage). I would not want to deal with returning a car...

In your shoes, I'd stick with the WDW buses. Get an earlier (7-8) ADR for a character meal and the think about putt putt or back for swimming at the resort.

We used it for the first time this past February. We were in the room when they picked up the bags, but as other posters indicated, you didn't have to be. I think they came for the bags (we were at AKV) shortly after 8, then we went to have a breakfast and relaxed around the resort.
Since you're at Boardwalk, so many things to do while you wait-- character breakfast at Cape May, walk around the Boardwalk, mini-golf not too far, play at the arcade or pool...
I think our bus pickup time was about noon... once we loaded up, we may have made one more stop (I honestly don't remember, I was just happy and enjoying not having to drive or navigate), and got to the port with time to look around. It's just so nice to not have to deal with bags-- we just had our backpacks. Easy peasy.

f you use WDW transport, will they still grab your luggage from your room even if you're not there? Or do you have to contend with bell services at the time of your bus departure?

Yes, they'll absolutely pick them up in you're not in the room. Bags are typically picked up at 8 am. I've never actually been there when they've been picked up.

You find out the night prior to pick-up what your time is. The letter is dropped at your room usually about 7 pm. I wouldn't personally plan DS or another resort on the pick-up morning although you'll know better when you get your letter. I had once booked breakfast for 9:30 am at the GF Cafe (we were staying at GF). For some reason, I had suddenly decided the day prior to that to move breakfast to 7:30 am just to be on the safe side and since I knew I had to be up early enough to get my bags ready for 8 am I figured it was no big deal. We had dinner at V&A the night before so I didn't see my letter until we returned about 10:30 pm. Good thing - our pick up was at 10:30 am. That would have been way too tight for my liking.

Given how long it can take to get from place to place, it can be hard to guarantee that you'll be back at your resort in enough time. And I think that buses to DS do not go from resorts until 4 pm so you'd have to be taking a taxi and making sure to give yourself enough time. I certainly wouldn't plan anything in the morning. We've been picked up any time between 10:30-12:30 and you just won't know much in advance. We've been at DS sometimes wanting to take a taxi back to our resort because we don't want to wait for the buses and end up having as much difficulty in getting one as getting a bus. And resort to resort requires at least two different buses, stopping in a park in between, or a taxi.

We love taking the DCL bus. They pick up the luggage earlier in the morning. You do not have to be in your room. You put all of your luggage by the door and they will get it.

Our first time using the bus, we were staying at AS Sports. We were not in our room, but I kept an eye on it and all that was happening. They came and got our luggage w/o us being in the room. (I watched them).

We don't like eating a big sit down b'fast on embarkation day b/c we will eat a big lunch as soon as we are on the ship.

I am thinking about a 1 day resort stay and 1 day theme park stay. Would this be the same procedure? Considering we would only be there a day.-
Does anyone know procedure for airline to resort luggage?

I am thinking about a 1 day resort stay and 1 day theme park stay. Would this be the same procedure? Considering we would only be there a day.-
Does anyone know procedure for airline to resort luggage?

If you are staying on property and flying in, you can sign up for the Magical Express (ME). It is free. Use the luggage tags they send you for the Magical Express (not the DCL bus) and they will pick up your luggage and take to the resort. You report to the ME desk area, swipe your wrist band and board the bus they tell you to board. Your luggage will follow later. Go about your day. When your luggage arrives, they will leave a message on your phone. Just call them back and let them know you are in your room and they will bring the luggage to you.

We are doing a WDW/DCL trip next week. Sometimes we use Disney transfers to get us in between the resorts/ship, and sometimes we don't. The last few times we have sailed and done WDW, we have used Disney transfers, and I do like the ease of it. You definitely get to the port a little later than many like to get there, but you also don't have to wait in long lines and typically get to walk right on.

We are staying at BLT next week, and I made a character breakfast reservation at Chef Mickey's at 7:30 on the morning we head to the ship. I figured that would be a safe time that would allow us to enjoy our breakfast but still have time to get to the bus without rushing. It's just my 24 year old daughter and myself, so we don't necessarily have to hang out to see all of the characters if we get picked up earlier than I am planning. Good luck with your planning! It will all work out one way or another.

We stayed at Beach Club Villas pre-cruise and took the DCL bus and it worked really well for us not having to deal with the hassle of the luggage. And I didn’t feel like we were shortchanged on cruising time. We arrived at the port in plenty of time. If you’re staying at Boardwalk, you have lots of options for how to spend the morning (although I personally would not attempt DS). We went to the Bon Voyage breakfast and then walked around for a little bit. The earlier suggestion about the community hall was a good one, too. You really won’t have that much time to burn.

If you are staying on property and flying in, you can sign up for the Magical Express (ME). It is free. Use the luggage tags they send you for the Magical Express (not the DCL bus) and they will pick up your luggage and take to the resort. You report to the ME desk area, swipe your wrist band and board the bus they tell you to board. Your luggage will follow later. Go about your day. When your luggage arrives, they will leave a message on your phone. Just call them back and let them know you are in your room and they will bring the luggage to you.
I’m not certain about that phone message when luggage has arrived. We have used Magical Express at least 25 or 30 times since it started (DVC members and usually 3 trips per year) and our luggage has always been delivered to our room without any action on our part. It’s been the only case where luggage handling has happened without our having to be in the room and available to tip the bell person. Our most recent WDW visit was in late February, so I don’t think the process has changed in the meantime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter