Lulu201's Healthy Living Journal--Just trying my best to walk the walk! Come on by!

Hi Erin....

Best of luck on the recital.....can't wait to her about it......have a wonderful day.

:wave2: It's Sunday, October 30, 2005

It was a nice day yesterday. The kids did a nice job at the recital and they all looked so cute. One little boy had on this terrific clown outfit with big huge feet--I don't know how he managed that pedal, but he did!

Anyway, it's a new day-- :sunny: here in Pennsylvania. This morning DH and I will play in church, then I'll take my Purposed Driven Life class. DD and I are going to work out when I get home, and then she'll head out for an afternoon concert at a farm nearby (doesn't that sound like we live in the country!). Tonight she has choir practice at 6 p.m., and after that the day is done. I hope to squeeze in some wash and thank you note writing in the midst of all that.

Today's Day #5 of Operation Sugar Freedom, and except for my back pain, I'm feeling good. One of the things they stress on radiantrecovery.com is the amount of time it takes to become "stable." They continuously emphasize the need to master the seven steps one step at a time. I can see why--you feel so much better from just doing one step that you are motivated to challenge yourself even further--it doesn't seem like punishment or denial, it's what you WANT to do to help yourself. And once you start feeling good, you don't want to go back!

One thing that I have to admit, though, is that I don't like not losing FAST. I know that this back pain could be reduced if I dropped 10 lbs. (or more, of course) in my usual "diet" mode. Maybe it would take 3 weeks if I was extra diligent??? I know, though, that it would only take 2 to gain it all back, and I'd be back on that rollercoaster again.

No, I have to do this slowly. My goal for the week is to maintain or to lose a lb. I think how great it would be if I consistently lost a pound a week--I'd look and feel amazing by my next birthday! Who knows, though, what my natural healthy weight is?? :confused3 That's what I'm going to find out this year! :flower:

So, today's plan:

1. Devotions--will do
2. Vitamins--will take
3. Water--will drink tons
4. Exercise--will walk on the treadie for 20 minutes and MAYBE do some lifting.
5. Food--steel cut oats w/pb, coffee and milk. Lunch will be soup, cheese, and a couple of whole grain crackers. Dinner's up in the air at this point.
6. Scale--steady
7. Caffeine--none in the p.m.

OK, that's the wrap up for today. I've got to go out and grab some of that morning :sunny: !

Love to all,
Erin

Hi Erin - Good Sunday to you!! I'm already up and working - glad to heat that the recital went well.

Enjoy your day.

New day here: October 31, 2005

All right, let me tell how things really turned out: I didn't walk or workout at all. By the time I got home from church and doing a little grocery shopping, DD was ready at the door with her list of requests: could I pick up this friend, could I pick up that friend, etc., etc. By the time she got it all worked out, we had to leave to start picking up the girls! After dropping them off, I came home and did some laundry and picked up a bit, but didn't get much else done 'cause it was time to go get them again! Ick. I was glad to help DD out, but honestly, it wasn't my kind of Sunday. Such is life.

Today I've got lots of chores to do before work. It'll be a short day because most of my "clients" :p will be dressed as little goblins and ghouls by dark, so DD and I are going to hit the mall to get a few things. We don't get any trick or treaters on our street, so there's no reason to sit home with a pile of candy in front of my face!

Today's plan:

1. Devotions: :)
Daily Thoughts:
A Time to Think:
Let nothing disturb you, let nothing frighten you; everything passes away except God; God alone is sufficient. -St. Theresa
To Act:
Calm someone else’s fears and maintain a serenity of your own.
To Pray:
Dear Lord, help me to trust Your answers, even in the most challening times.
2. Vitamins--on the counter
3. Water--I really want to push it today.
4. Exercise--I'm taking Mickey to the park for some a.m. sun and will get on the treadie for a few minutes.
5. Food--yesterday I changed my menu as the day went on, but I stayed OP. Today I started with my steel cut oats, banana, and walnuts, cinnamon coffee w/milk. Lunch will be a sandwich, I think. Dinner will be a salad.
6. Scale: looking good
7. Caffeine: I think I'm free from my afternoon addiction. I still enjoy my morning cup of the real deal, so I don't see going decaf in the a.m. in my future. Yet.

That's the story for today. I'm headed out for a walk in the :sunny: . Please know that you're all in my thoughts and as I walk I'll pray for everyone and your special needs. Even if I don't know them, God does. :)

Have a good one, everybody! :grouphug:

Erin
O.S.F. #6

Hi Erin!

Sounds like you are ready for the day ahead! :sunny: I know yesterday didn't go quite as planned, but you stayed OP and that my friend, is a VICTORY! :cheer2: Way to go! :banana:

Have a wonderful day today! :sunny:

It's November 1, 2005 A new month! New Goals! No. . .no new goals--as a matter of fact, my goal this month is to have no goals! :p I just want to keep walking the sugar free walk and see where the road takes me. I want it to be slow and steady journey.

Yesterday was tough with all the candy and chocolate around. No, I shouldn't say "tough" because I didn't experience any SEVERE cravings, but I did notice all the candy around and could easily remember the smooth, silkiness of chocolate. :cloud9: Fortunately, I was able to see around that thought to what comes AFTER I eat sweets--the binge eating, the blood sugar ups and downs--and I knew it just wasn't worth it. Phil. 4:13; Day #6 of O.S.F. completed!

So, I'm celebrating a Halloween victory this morning and looking forward to a month of stability--blood sugar-wise and exercise-wise. My plan is to continue abstaining from sweets and to follow my Prevention exercise program: 1.5 miles a day for 5 days this week.

So, here's what I've got going today:

Daily Thoughts:
A Time to Think:
The earth has music for those who listen.
—William Shakespeare
To Act:
Be sensitive to the messages of hope that greet you.
To Pray:
Lord, help me not to make life more difficult than it really is. (This is such a good prayer for me!)
2. Vitamins: :) done
3. Water: :) working on glass #2 or 3 already
4. Exercise: :) Walked Mickey .5 mile for our sunshine walk in the park, and then got on the treadie for another 1.5.
5. Food: Breakfast was two hard-boiled eggs with a whole grain english muffin topped with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray. Lunch will be a turkey and swiss cheese sandwich on wheat bread and fresh fruit salad (strawberries, raspberries, and grapes), dinner will be something quick at Taco Bell--probably two beef taco supremes of a burrito. Snack tonight will be triscuits.
6. Scale--188 for the 2nd day in a row. I'm happy about that. I think, though, that I'm going to stay off the scale until Friday. It's a tricky thing, that scale. . .I don't want to start obsessing about the number. If I get on every day, I'm going to start working my program just to see the # go down. If I get on once a week, I'm going to be disappointed if I don't see it go down, as well. So maybe the happy medium is just a couple of times a week to see if I need to adjust portions? :confused3
7. Caffeine--Had my a.m. cup. Will continue with herbal tea in the afternoon for a special treat. New favorite: tangerine orange zinger.

Have to run out this a.m. and get DD a new straightener; hers went on the blink and then officially passed away this morning, right in the middle of the a.m. school rush. Tough morning for the poor kid, but she got it together and made it to the bus on time. Gotta get something for her this morning, though, so she can do her hair tomorrow morning.

Long day today--work until 6:00 and then choir from 7-9. Lots of fun stuff, so no complaints here.

A big group hug to all my buddies,
Erin

Hi Erin and Happy November....

I am sharing in your positive outlook for a new month - small positive steps!!

Who makes the tangerine tea?? Sounds yummy!!

November 2, 2005

:wave2: Hi, Paula. That tangerine tea is made by Celestial Seasoning. It IS yummy. :)

OK, yesterday the chocolate cravings were more intense. So intense that I took DD to Baskin Robbins for some chocolate chocolate chip sugar free ice cream with sugar free nonfat hot fudge (what could it be made of???). It tasted a little funky, but it did the trick. It's good to know I can have that as a back up plan. Maybe someday I'll give up all sugar substitutes, too, but not now. One thing at a time.

So, today is Day #8 of O.S.F. God knows there are times when it's challenging, but with His help, I'll keep plugging along. Slow and steady, right?

So, today's plan:
Point to Ponder: There is a purpose behind every problem.
Verse to Remember: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28
Question to Consider: What problem in my life has caused the greatest growth in me?
2. Vitamins: :) Yep, took them.
3. Water: 6 to 8 glasses to go! I'm trying to drink a liter bottle after every class.
4. Exercise: :) walked Mickey in the park for .5. It is another beautiful, sunny day. I'll get on the treadmill for another 1.5 in a few minutes.
5. Food: oatmeal surprise for breakfast. Lunch will be tuna on wheat and some applesause. Dinner will be a bagel w/cream cheese, I think. Maybe a lunch meat roll up or two. P.M. snack will be triscuits--I didn't eat them last night. Had s.f. ice cream instead.
6. Scale: day off. I'll weigh in on Friday
7. Caffeine: had some diet pepsi last night. Oh well.

I'm tired this morning. The fresh air and sunshine helped boost me some, but if truth be told, I'd like to go back to bed. My back hurts. Still, once I get to work I'm sure I'll feel better. It's a long day, but it'll be fun. I've got two classes and a bunch of students--lots of music to be made.

Take care, everyone.
:hug:,
Erin

Hi Erin - good sunny morning!!
Thanks for telling me about the Tea - I'll definitely get that one this week - I have been drinking Celestial Seasonings "Candy Cane Lane" this week - a nice mix of peppermint and Vanilla. Funny how I always wanted a sweet with my afternoon coffee but with flavored tea I don't.

Again - I applaud your postiive attitude - it's contageous!!!!!

Have a wonderful day!!

Oh, my gosh, Paula, that Candy Cane Lane sounds amazing. I want that! I'll have to go looking for it the next time I'm in the grocery store tea aisle!

So, it's November 3, 2005 It is such a beautiful fall day, I can't even describe it! I went for a nice long stroll with Mickey, and it gave me such a lift. I think, like Doreen, I'm "solar-powered." The walk was relaxing, but left me energized.

I'm beginning to lose track of what day I'm on in Operation Sugar Freedom--let me count for a minute. . .oh, yeah, this is the start of day #9. (Duh, I can just look back in the journal!). Already today I passed up a donut that a friend wanted to give me--nope, no more of that for me.

I was thinking this morning about going to my mom's for Thanksgiving, and what it would be like to celebrate the holiday sugar-free (no pumpkin pie!). I thought about how EVERY time we visit her, I allow myself cookies, brownies, etc. and then have to FIGHT afterwards to get myself back on track. I understand now why I couldn't go away for the weekend, allow myself the treats, and then immediately get back on program--the sugars would just take over my cravings! No, this time, I hope I can enjoy the upcoming holidays without the obsession and worry over whether or not I can control myself. With God's help, I'll meet the temptations head on and just cruise through to a peaceful, healthy place.

You know, life can be so weird. Anyone who reads my journal knows that I think and overthink things (so be warned before you read this :-)), but I feel like I'm at a special time in my life right now. So many things are dovetailing together--my personal work on recovery from anxiety/depression/burnout, a new eating program based on the research of Kathleen DesMaisons, and our church's study of the book, "The Purpose Driven Life." Yesterday's devotion was entitled "Transformed by Trouble" and today's is "Growing through Temptation." I think of my whole O.S.F. as a step in faith that I couldn't achieve without God's help. . .I mean, seriously--me? give up sugars, candy, etc. for a WHOLE YEAR???? I have NO IDEA how I'm going to do this, but I know that by taking things day by day and by looking Upward I'm going to get through somehow. Oh, I'm not saying I won't slip--it could certainly happen, but if I do, I'll learn from that, too. Right now--at this moment in time--I feel on solid ground. And coming from where I've been lately food-wise, well, that's a good place to be.

So friends, this is what you have to do: about a week from now, when I'm deep in the DZone and I want to eat every chocolate thing I see, would you please remind me that there IS solid ground????? rotf!

Enough deep thinking now, let's get down to brass tacks.

The day:

1. Devotions (from dailyguideposts.com)
Daily Thoughts:
A Time to Think:
At first dreams seem impossible, then improbable, then inevitable. -Christopher Reeve
To Act:
Remember that all glory comes from daring to begin.
To Pray:
Dear Lord, help me to stretch beyond what is comfortable. Help me to be my best.
2. Vitamins--check
3. Water--will drink lots
4. Exercise--walked Mickey in the sunshine for 1.25 miles. I'll do my 1.5 on the treadie later.
5. Food--will log it into Fitday. Thanks, Doreen, for the reminder that Fitday exists. It's fun to see the little pie charts!
6. Scale--day off
7. Caffeine--a.m. only

That's it for now,
Erin

Good morning Erin,

I love reading your deep thoughts! ::yes:: You often get me thinking about my own life and encourage me by what you say. Thanks for sharing with your WISH buddies! :goodvibes

Have a great day! :sunny:

It's Friday, November 4th. Here's my little happy dance: :cool1: Thanks for your kind words, Tracy, and for taking the time to visit when you have so much that you're dealing with right now.:hug:

Yesterday was a great day! I took some time in the morning to relax and then was able to focus and enjoy my students the rest of the day.

Here's the scoop on today:
Daily Thoughts:
A Time to Think:
As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate. - Albert Schweitzer
To Act:
Be ready to find joy where and when it surfaces.
To Pray:
Lord, help me to understand that I can be joyful at all times and in all situations because I am Your child.
2. Vitamins: Done :)
3. Water: Drinking some now :)
4. Exercise: Walked 1 mile with Mickey in this beautiful sunshine; will walk at least another mile with a friend around 9 a.m. :) This is, my 5th day of exercise in a row! I've accomplished my exercise plan for the week! Officially I'll be "off" on Saturday and Sunday, but since the weather's supposed to be nice, I just might do some walking purely for pleasure.
5. Food: Today's a little complicated. We're going to a party with some church friends, and there's going to be all kinds of goodies there. I'm bringing an apple walnut pie! I'm not concerned about eating sweets really. . .I know I don't want any of those, but I am concerned about my resolve. I don't think I can have any wine--too much of a beta-endorphin hit (excuse my biochemistry talk ;) ) and I think I'm going to have to avoid all white flour things. I think I'll also bring some sparkling water. At the moment (who knows how I'll feel about this later), I'm feeling like this could be a fun challenge: can I stay OP at an "event"?
6. Scale: Got on the thing this morning. It's showing me I'm on the right track.
7. Caffeine: nothing in the p.m.

All right now, that's the scoop on today. I'm ready to tackle DAY #10/O.S.F.! :cheer2: Phil. 4:13 :cheer2:

Hugs to all,
Erin

Hey, it's day #12, O.S.F. and I feel like I'm holding on by a thread. It started with that darn (but fun) party on Friday night. I stayed sugar-free, but I had a lot of salty, fatty, yummy stuff I don't normally have. I ended the evening feeling bloated and round. :p Saturday I got up and had my oatmeal, then a sandwich and FFries when out with DH for lunch. Just too much food.
In the evening I had some pizza and 2 s.f. tastee cake things--again, just too much. By this point, I'm feeling "off," kind of yukky and not as great as I've been feeling lately. So, this morning, do I turn it around? Do I intentionally stay away from white flours? No, I don't. I BUY pretzels at the store and have some with chips for lunch!???!! What the?

So I'm happy to be here at my journal where I can look this turn-around in the eye and set myself back on track. At this moment (about 45 min. post-
lunch), I am exhausted. I came home from my morning at church feeling energized and positive, but now I'm in a white flour coma. All I want to do is lay down and take a nap. Maybe I needed my little relapse to remind myself why I'm trying to walk the healthy living road! I'm going to go downstairs and throw the pretzels away. I'm not accepting this junk for myself!

I'm also experiencing some scale-weirdness. I got on the darn thing on Friday morning and was down 2 lbs. from Tuesday (to 186). All of a sudden I became numbers-obsessed and worried about gaining it back at the party, wondering what I could allow myself to eat, wondering what size I could be in by Thanksgiving, etc., etc. Ugh. I do NOT want that kind of mentality. So I think I'll weigh in on Tuesday morning and then put the scale away until we leave for my mom's house in a couple of weeks. I'll just have to use how I feel and how I look to guage the success of my program. No numbers--though I do love punching them into fitday. My goal, if I have one, is to live a healthy life, not to be scale-directed to the point of obsession.

So, I'm fighting to stay awake and to do the laundry. I did get the kitchen straightened and our bathroom is almost done. . .still that laundry hangs around my neck like an albatross!

We've had a nice weekend. I worked yesterday morning. . .one of our teacher's told me she has to quit. Now, that certainly isn't nice, but I was able to talk to her about her decision in a supportive way that let her know we are on her side and will support her in her efforts to do what's best for herself and her family work-wise. DH, DD, her friend, and I went to the mall in the afternoon. DH and I went to lunch and to Kohl's while the girls shopped around. Afterwards we took DD's friend home, then bummed around the house in the evening. Oh, DD and I went back to Kohl's for some more shopping after dinner.

This morning, DD sang a solo with her youth choir and 2 of our 3 church services. She did such a great job. DH and I probably glowed with happiness for her.

After the services, I went to my 40 Days of Purpose Class. Our group came up with some great ideas of how to minister to two of our group members--a couple who have two autistic teenagers. They just joined our church a couple of weeks ago; now we're trying to surround them with a community of support which will allow them (the mom and dad) to find some time to nurture themselves.

Now I'm home fighting to stay awake. It's a beautiful sunny day--from what the weather man says the temps are going to stay high for a few more days.

That's it for now,
Erin

P.S. As a Philadelphia Eagle fan, let me just say, "Go Andy Reid! I support your decision to boot T-O 100%" Do you think he might just be reading my journal? :p

Monday, Nov. 7

Ok, I'm trying to look at the bright side: I didn't eat any overt sugar. I did, however, end the day grazing around the kitchen. I threw away the pretzels. I did, however, have four more before I trashed them. I walked Mickey this morning in the sunshine. I won't, however, get my walking on the treadmill in. . .I don't want to be rushed this morning.

So, there were some ups and some downs from the weekend. What I learned: my routine is important to me. Next weekend I'm going to make a conscious effort to stick with it. The obstacle will be the DZone, though. I'm going to work hard to not let that be an excuse to overindulge or to throw my program to the wayside.

Today's plan:

1. Devotions:
Point to ponder: I was shaped for serving God.
Verse to remember: "God works through different men in different ways, but it is the same God who achieves his purposed through them all." 1 Cor. 12:6
Question to consider: In what way can I see myself passionately serving others and loving it?
2. Vitamins: done
3. Water: will start soon
4. Exercise: Walked Mickey in the sunshine for 15 minutes.
5. Food: had oatmeal surprise this a.m.; need to think through the rest of the day. I'm not hungry at all and would just like to skip thinking about it, but that sets me up for more problems as I work my way back to the wagon.
6. Scale: no way am I getting on it this morning.
7. Caffeine: I'm going to try and avoid it this afternoon.

I've got to get to the church this a.m. to work on some needs of our "adopted family." After that I have a 10 a.m. meeting with local piano teachers; that'll last until about noon. At 1 p.m. I'll be in the studio doing what I love to do!

DD has a hectic schedule today--afternoon rehearsal until 3:30, and then has to go back to school this evening for more rehearsals. It means a lot of driving around for DH. He'll leave the studio and then pick her up from school (about 40 minutes away from work), then come back to the studio to teach, and then will have to drive back home to get her and take her back to school. At 8:30 he'll drive back to school AGAIN to get her. . .good thing we don't drive gas guzzlers!

Still working on the laundry, but I see a light at the end of the tunnel!

Hugs to all,
Erin

Hi Erin,

Stopping by to WISH you a wonderful Monday! :sunny: I hope it is a great day for you and your family! :grouphug:

I've just come from Doreen's journal. . .she made healthy choices yesterday. Mine were so so. No overt sugars, so I'm still chugging along with O.S.F., but I didn't stick with my plan like I like to. I let myself cave with my hormones and sadness.

I'm sad because DH lost his part-time job. Like most employment situations that end like this, it's long and involved, but the bottom line is that they found someone cheaper to do the same job, and so he's out after 3 years. I'm sad for him because he really liked the people he worked with; I'm sad for me because my first impulse is to work more--take more students, etc., and I know that that's not the best thing. This, in combination with losing a teacher soon, is just plain discouraging.

There are times in life, though, that are discouraging, and from where I am in the DZone I'm trying to allow myself to just feel it. I know that that sounds weird, but I've learned that I spend a lot of time in denial--trying to convince myself that "it'll all be OK," "let's get a positive attitude," etc., etc., instead of just recognizing that sometimes things are hard. Today's a day where I just need to take things slow, maybe shed a little tear or two, walk in the sunshine, and shuffle along. My back is sore and annoying, too, doggone it. I'm not overwhelmed by all of this and desperately worried--we'll manage--but I am bummed, and I'm just going to be that way for today if I need to. I have a lot of energy I have to give out to a lot of people today, so I'm just going to conserve it where I can.

Last night I came home from work and had some potato chips, left-over paella, and a s.f. tastee cake.
It was more than I like to eat, and I know it was just emotional eating. Crocheting would've been better.
I didn't get on the scale this morning; I was dressed before I even thought about it. Tomorrow I'll face it.

Here's how today is looking:

1. Devotions: did it.
2. Vitamins: gotta take them
3. Water: none yet
4. Exercise: I'll shuffle around with the dog
5. Food: ww english muffin w/pb for breakfast, tuna sandwich for lunch, salad for dinner
6. Scale: forgot
7. Caffeine: none in p.m.

That's the plan.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Erin

It's kind of grey and cloudy here. . .I wonder if we're expecting rain today. . .

Anyway, it's Wednesday, November 9, 2005

Yesterday I made some good food choices; today I hope they'll be even better!

The plan:

1. Devotions: Day #32 of the Purpose Driven Life. Today's devotional talked about using your "shape" to serve God. We all have different personalities and have been molded into different shapes--all just right for different kinds of service.
2. Vitamins: took them yesterday, but haven't taken them yet today.
3. Water: drank a lot yesterday, but haven't started yet today.
4. Exercise: I have to admit, I'm dogging it this week. I'm going to walk Mickey and then do 10 minutes on the treadie.
5. Food: breakfast was oatmeal surprise. Lunch will be tuna and some fruit.
Dinner will be something light; snack will be triscuits. I'm praying to stay on track.
6. Scale: 188
7. Caffeine: none in the p.m.

That's about it. I'm tired today, but not as negative as yesterday. Just wish I could go back to bed for awhile!

Sleepily yours,
Erin

Today is FRIDAY, November 11, 2005. I feel like a smilie celebration!
:cool1: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :banana: :flower: :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :wave: :wave2: :bounce:

Sometimes ya just gotta let loose, you know?

It's been a good week. Considering I'm deep in the DZONE and my husband lost his part time job, I've been managing. Still sugar free and feeling good because of it! I did have those problems over the weekend with some white flour, but I hope I've learned from that and can make it through this weekend feeling sound and strong.

Today's plan:

1. Devotions :)
2. Vitamins--soon
3. Water--soon
4. Exercise--yesterday I walked Mickey 1.25, today I might do the same if the weather holds out. I'm definitely going to get on the treadie.
5. Food--breakfast was eggs and toast. Lunch will be tuna on wheat, yellow pepper strips; dinner will be pizza w/chicken. I'm really working to get in the right amount of protein! Evening snack will be my triscuits. My plan calls for a potato, but I just can't get that down at that time of night.
6. Scale--steady at 187.
7. Caffeine--none after 12.

I'm :) today and it feels good. No plans for tonight--probably just some movies with the family. DD is trying to arrange something with her friends for tomorrow--that means DH and I could have a quiet night tomorrow, too. I'm in a mood to crochet; I'm working on a baby afghan for my nephew and his wife's new baby. Need to do some housework this weekend, but overall, I'm hoping for a relaxing "time at home" kind of break. I might head over to the library and get a new book. . .

All right, everyone, I'm moving into the day. I'm looking Upward and walking onward.

:grouphug: ,
Erin

:cool1: Lovin' the smilie party!! :cool1:

Could it be that you've figured out how to navigate a DZone without the huge ups and downs of the usual roller coaster ride?? :flower1: YAY!!! :flower1:

I'm hoping and praying that this new knowledge will work for you and will help you for as long as you need it. I was going to say 'for many years to come' but I, myself, am praying for an early menopause. :rotfl:

:hug: for you, dear Erin! You are doing beautifully this month! Keep it up! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter