Luminous thoughts

TheDailyMoo

DIS Veteran
Visually stunning. Started off great. Ended great. A little…slow though? Almost dare I say depressing in the middle section? Lots of odd choices of IP music to include.Also had a MK on water vibe. But again the fireworks and the fountains so beautiful. Lovely show. But why can’t we have drones like Paris??

Wouldn’t it be amazing if it was logistically possible to bring Illuminations back on special occasions. Yeah yeah I know it’s never coming back!

First impressions……
Seemed underwhelming.
Didn‘t like the music.
Message seemed preachy? I don’t know. Maybe preachy isn’t the right word.
I need to watch it a few times and see if my thoughts change.

First impressions……
Seemed underwhelming.
Didn‘t like the music.
Message seemed preachy? I don’t know. Maybe preachy isn’t the right word.
I need to watch it a few times and see if my thoughts change.
I think I know what you're trying to say. I saw that they were trying to go with a theme but it kinda was disjointed. Lots of narration breaking it up. And very long stretches of slow music. I too have to see it a few more times to really form a solid opinion. I think strictly as a visual show, a standalone fireworks show anyway it definitely works. But as a show fitting for EPCOT yeah maybe kinda misses the mark. Again have to watch it a few more times.

I don’t need it to be great. Disney disappoints a lot lately. I just need it to be better than the last two, and I believe that works.

I personally don’t watch any firework shows online until I actually go to the parks. It’s part of the surprise to look forward to.

I’m not gunna skip a firework show so I would rather be surprised.

Last edited:
I watched 2 different live streams- one I could really see things better and it was really pretty. I think it will look even better in person. From just the first time hearing the original songs, I liked them as well. Loved that Spaceship Earth became the globe! I still miss Illuminations, but I like it better than the taco shells that if you weren't in an exact position you couldn't see what was going on!

I was there and we were also a bit disappointed. The middle bit was such a downer - the people in my area actually started laughing when “When She Loved Me” came on. The narration was a bit odd - like too many forced “symphony” analogies. The fireworks parts were really good but sometimes I felt I was just staring at sad fountains. I wasn’t drawn in like Harmonious. This will probably be a one and done for me.

I watched 2 different live streams- one I could really see things better and it was really pretty. I think it will look even better in person. From just the first time hearing the original songs, I liked them as well. Loved that Spaceship Earth became the globe! I still miss Illuminations, but I like it better than the taco shells that if you weren't in an exact position you couldn't see what was going on!
I loved Spaceship Earth becoming the globe too. Such a beautiful nod to Illuminations. :goodvibes

I watched on livestream and like it so far. I would love to read the lyrics for the original songs. Yes, it is slow and reflective but I think it suits Epcot. I like the message of people coming together and overcoming our differences, especially in the times we currently live in.

It was a big "MEH" for me...Too much narration and the music selection did not inspire me. Also, I prefer the "original" versions of Disney songs as most of us would know them, and would rather not hear someone else trying to make the songs "their own"...Can we have Illuminations back?

The fireworks were amazing so definitely worth watching for that but I agree with what a few other have said it just felt a bit boring at points. I’m still not sure why so many had issue with Harmonious, my family all loved it (barges aside, of course). Although we don’t have the nostalgia for old Epcot the way many do since we only started coming to the parks regularly in the last 6-7 yrs.

Because there was so much narration and all they could do during was gently sweep the fountains around while she spoke, it just didn’t feel particularly emotive or stimulating for sections at a time. I’m not saying we need in your face pyrotechnics and a laser light show the whole time but it just felt like they could do a bit more with the many quiet moments.

But I agree, we need to watch a few more times to get a fairer opinion.

I watched the livestream and wasn't impressed at all. I agree with those who say it seemed disjointed. Nothing about it captured my attention. It seemed like a firework show they would play while working on something better. :( I don't need to see it again to form a different opinion. I thought it was boring and another Disney letdown. It's really too bad because I was really looking forward to it.

Fireworks--- A ++- the music... totally seemed disjointed, and could have been played at ANY park--- didnt speak to Epcot, IMH0-

Missed the projections, but that didnt bother me as much as the music did.

Watched it on a livestream. It was pretty. Overall, I enjoyed it. I don't think the Toy Story music fit Epcot and maybe I was distracted at the end, but I feel like it just sort of.. ended? Like there wasn't really a big finale and I didn't even realize it was ending until it stopped and the lights came back up.

Haven't watched it yet but based on the comments which seem very consistent it seems Disney has once again failed to understand how much the musical score to Illuminations was integral to how much it is loved. It was a wonderful composition which could tell a story without smacking you over the head with didactic narration. The need for overuse of Disney songs thrown together with a token new song or two which are typically overly sentimental or preachy will jus ensure whatever they do visually won't live up to Illuminations. (Luckily I have a great recording of the music and found a separate recording of We Go On and spliced them together into a track). Same with Fantasmic - the Fantasmic musical theme is great and although they use a lot of Disney IP throughout the middle - the opening and closing theme music really sets the tone

Just saw a video of it. I was really excited for the first five minutes before You’ll Be In My Heart and the other Disney music started. I really wish it was all original music and something more unique to Epcot like Illuminations. You’ve got eleven countries surrounding world showcase all with rich musical traditions, I feel like they could be honored more than just dubbing Disney music into other languages (which didn’t even happen much). I also missed having some kind of “icon” like the globe to focus on. I agree with others, the middle was slow and a little boring. I don’t think it’s the worse thing they could have done, but I was a little underwhelmed. There is just so much more they could do creatively than reach back into the Disney music library, which almost seems like a crutch at this point.

Admittedly, Illuminations is my favorite show so I think I’ll always be a little biased. I wish they did more of an Illuminations 2.0.

Watched on YT. Underwhelmed. I did like the SSE incorporation. The shrill warbling throughout made my ears bleed. I hope it's not that bad in real life. Decided to watch IROE straight after. There really is no comparison.

I'm excited to see it in person, and I reserve my full opinion until then.

However, Luminous seemed like a rather pale version of Harmonious (probably my favorite of the WDW Spectacles). Similar theme, barges, ous-name, singing in different languages were utilized, but not utilized nearly as well.

It also seemed like a smaller version of Illuminations. Fireworks driven, but lacking the barrage that made Illuminations memorable. Luminous tried, but didn't reach the same emotional heights.

Who knows? Maybe my opinion will change after seeing it live.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter