Lunar New Year and CA Food and Wine returns !!

Super hard to get excited about Lunar New Year food quality. I will be there the last weekend of Lunar New Year. Am I crazy? Is this anyone else's least favorite? I love Asian food, but I find it lacking at this.

For some of us its our first and only chance to experience Lunar New Year at Disneyland, so I'm super excited.

Super hard to get excited about Lunar New Year food quality. I will be there the last weekend of Lunar New Year. Am I crazy? Is this anyone else's least favorite? I love Asian food, but I find it lacking at this.

You're not alone. It's pretty bad, overall. Asian food is one area, ironically, where Disneyland just fails miserably. There is so much good local Asian food in the surrounding areas that I don't understand how they have managed to keep it such mediocre quality at the DLR for all these years. This festival is one that I just skip the food completely. I enjoy the Dragon dancers and the live entertainment and all the cool decor, but the food is just bad.

I've never been impressed at any of the festival booth foods for any event given their price and Lunar New Year in my opinion tends to be the worst. 2020 Lunar New Year was the only event where I actually ate every single event food item just to say I did it once and I think only the tilapia is worth getting.

The bao's are decent typically. It's can be hard to make good Asian food when you're not making it all the time or right tools --like a nice hot wok.

So much potential when I would read the food descriptions and then it just never lived up to the expectation in my experience. It’s too bad, I love Asian foods!

I've never been impressed at any of the festival booth foods for any event given their price and Lunar New Year in my opinion tends to be the worst. 2020 Lunar New Year was the only event where I actually ate every single event food item just to say I did it once and I think only the tilapia is worth getting.

Is the tilapia the one that is a whole fish deep fried?

The Food and Wine festival has the best foods, overall. I was super disappointed with the holiday festival this year.

I'm getting really tired of all the Impossible meat substitute taking over dishes that previously had real meat. The new versions are disgusting.

Is the tilapia the one that is a whole fish deep fried?

Yup. I think the quality is decent and the price is reasonable given that it's advertised as a meal for 2. I can't think of any other fish based meal in the parks at that price point so it adds some variety as well. It's not for everyone though as most Americans are not used to dealing with fish bones and it's going to take a little bit longer than other quick service meals.

Yup. I think the quality is decent and the price is reasonable given that it's advertised as a meal for 2. I can't think of any other fish based meal in the parks at that price point so it adds some variety as well. It's not for everyone though as most Americans are not used to dealing with fish bones and it's going to take a little bit longer than other quick service meals.

Yeah, I saw a lot of Chinese guests going to town on that fish, but it just skeeves me out. I don't eat seafood.

I did not like the fundido. The cheese was fine. But you can't fool me with fake chorizo. Pork fat has no equivalent. 😂
Very true. We are hispanic, so we know. But we have been experimenting with different forms of chorizo substitutes (my daughter won't tell me, just fixes something and tells me after) and have found some we like. I do like the less greasy taste some have. This one was actually pretty good and past the test as her dad didn't even know it was fake til later.

You're not alone. It's pretty bad, overall. Asian food is one area, ironically, where Disneyland just fails miserably. There is so much good local Asian food in the surrounding areas that I don't understand how they have managed to keep it such mediocre quality at the DLR for all these years. This festival is one that I just skip the food completely. I enjoy the Dragon dancers and the live entertainment and all the cool decor, but the food is just bad.

I love Disney food so much but yeah, I've not been blown away by their Asian food in general. The sushi at Lamplight Lounge was baaaad, we sent it back and normally I never send food back even if it's not my favorite. That being said, I absolutely loved the Lucky Fortune Co Impossible Bahn Mi (Edit-just saw the above post where you said you don't like Impossible lol--to others reading if you're down with Impossible you'll dig the bahn mi most likely). Also that being said, that is not a traditional Bahn Mi at all. I still wish I was going to Lunar New Year though, I have a friend that is and I keep on checking Disney Parks Blog to see when they're going to drop the menus so I can send it to her.

I was watching one of the YouTube live streams of some VLOGgers going around Disney California and saw that there was one of the kiosks that were selling a few of the Disney Lunar New Year items. I don't think that this was one of the Merchandise kiosks that sells ONLY Lunar New Year merchandise ( like what they have during the Lunar New Year Event ).

We were really hoping to catch the event during the MLK weekend, but we're a week early. I'm going to be visiting DCA over the weekend but before the Disney Lunar New Year Event actually kicks off. For anyone that has visited recently, does anyone know if DCA is selling some of their Lunar New Year merchandise now?

I was watching one of the YouTube live streams of some VLOGgers going around Disney California and saw that there was one of the kiosks that were selling a few of the Disney Lunar New Year items. I don't think that this was one of the Merchandise kiosks that sells ONLY Lunar New Year merchandise ( like what they have during the Lunar New Year Event ).

We were really hoping to catch the event during the MLK weekend, but we're a week early. I'm going to be visiting DCA over the weekend but before the Disney Lunar New Year Event actually kicks off. For anyone that has visited recently, does anyone know if DCA is selling some of their Lunar New Year merchandise now?

Check Shop Disney, they have Lunar New Merchandise

I agree, it's a little sad. Aside from the entertainment, the only cool thing about Lunar New Year @ DLR = the ears.

I mean literally you have the entire 626 up the freeway for good Asian food, so I guess even if DLR had decent food...it would still comparatively taste terrible :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter