Lunch at MK.... Crystal Palace or Skipper Canteen?

Mugsymugs

The 8th Dwarf
We can't get into BOG and I we are debating between Crystal Palace or Skipper Canteen. We are doing 2 other character meals so that is not a factor - it's more the food and atmosphere. I am leaning towards Skipper Canteen - any thoughts?

I have done both. I like both for very different reasons. Crystal Palace is loud and brimming with life from little kids and giddy adults interacting with Pooh and Friends. The food is fine...I hear others disliking it, but I think it's fine. It is more typical food that is on a buffet, with some pleasant surprises. I have been to Skipper Canteen and it is quite, unique and beautifully appointed. It's a very different experience than other restaurants in the parks. The food is more adventurous....if that's good for you. I'd read the menus (on all ears.net) and see what is more appealing to you...along with the energy level in each place. Enjoy!

Thank you for explaining - I definitely would prefer the quieter atmosphere and the menu looks fun at the Canteen :-) Thank you!

You are definitely leaning in the right direction. I'm not a fan of buffets, so it really isn't a fair fight for CP in my book. But that said, we really enjoy Skippers. Love the jungle cruise motif and the food has never disappointed. We've found they tend to do apps better than entrees, but have yet to find anything we didn't like

If you aren't interested in the characters I would go with Skipper Canteen. We tried it recently for the first time and really enjoyed it. Food was very good, atmosphere was fun, and service was excellent.

I think CP is far superior for breakfast than lunch and dinner.

I just had an app for lunch but the food was great at Skipper Canteen. Definitely looking forward to going back. We'll probably end up doing both, breakfast at CP on one day and lunch at SC another.

Crystal palace IMO is a Golden Corral with Pooh characters. Since you're already doing two character meals, I would definitely go with the Skipper Canteen.

The shumai appetizers are on par with Mirimoto's.

Yet another option might be to hop on the monorail and eat at a resort, like Kona Cafe.

Crystal palace IMO is a Golden Corral with Pooh characters. Since you're already doing two character meals, I would definitely go with the Skipper Canteen.

The shumai appetizers are on par with Mirimoto's.

Yet another option might be to hop on the monorail and eat at a resort, like Kona Cafe.
Actually we are doing Kona Cafe! But you guys have sold me on SC - thank you so much for all of your help

We may give Skipper Canteen a try as well! It would be a new experience for us and menu looks intriguing. Is it now taking ADRs (I know it did not upon opening) and does it accept TIW?

We went to SC for the first time 2 weeks ago. We had a great server that was in character the whole time he was serving. We did chat with him while he cleared another table and he was himself(not in character). He may have been the nicest CM we met on the whole trip. My DD had the chicken and liked it but probably would have loved it if she ordered it without the sauce. I had the shrimp and it was really good. I would dine there again for sure. Not sure if my DD would. She's kind of picky and likes simple food. She can't see past the fancy way that they write the menu descriptions which causes a problem.

I really enjoyed the food at Skipper Canteen and would definitely choose it for myself over CP. That being said, if you have picky eaters, they may not like it. I have a photo of my daughter scowling at her dinner. She does not want to go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter