Lyft or Uber??

luckycharliegirl

Mouseketeer
Which do you prefer to use in the Orlando area??? (will be doing MK to offsite resort, offsite resort to Epcot and back...,etc.)
Never used either. Wondering which app to download and would appreciate "experts' opinions! TIA

I drive for both companies in Miami, have ridden with both companies, and have both companies' rider apps on my phone.

In the Orlando market, I recommend that riders do exactly what Allison recommended above -- price check every ride.

Both companies use "upfront pricing" which means that their prices for the same ride will vary somewhat depending on a variety of influences including demand. Both companies may also have "surge" pricing at peak times (like park closings) and those surges may vary widely. Demand is NOT identical for both companies, so you will see price differences.

Almost all drivers drive for both companies, so in most cases you're dealing with the same driver and riding in the same car. The Orlando market is very saturated, so you will not have long waits with either company.

If you are concerned about safety, all rideshare drivers have passed very stringent background investigations mandated by state law. Both companies also double-track each ride in real time -- via the driver's app and the rider's app. Both companies provide an option to share the progress of your ride with trusted friends/relatives in real time. From a safety perspective, Uber's suite of safety features is somewhat more robust than Lyft's, but both are good.

Both apps offer secure payment by credit card (and other options) and detailed receipts to document charges. No credit card info is stored on your phone.

Before you put either app on your phone, check for promotions. Both companies frequently offer promotions -- but know that most promotions are market-based, so a promotion in your home town may or may not be usable in Orlando.

I drive for both companies in Miami, have ridden with both companies, and have both companies' rider apps on my phone.

In the Orlando market, I recommend that riders do exactly what Allison recommended above -- price check every ride.

Both companies use "upfront pricing" which means that their prices for the same ride will vary somewhat depending on a variety of influences including demand. Both companies may also have "surge" pricing at peak times (like park closings) and those surges may vary widely. Demand is NOT identical for both companies, so you will see price differences.

Almost all drivers drive for both companies, so in most cases you're dealing with the same driver and riding in the same car. The Orlando market is very saturated, so you will not have long waits with either company.

If you are concerned about safety, all rideshare drivers have passed very stringent background investigations mandated by state law. Both companies also double-track each ride in real time -- via the driver's app and the rider's app. Both companies provide an option to share the progress of your ride with trusted friends/relatives in real time. From a safety perspective, Uber's suite of safety features is somewhat more robust than Lyft's, but both are good.

Both apps offer secure payment by credit card (and other options) and detailed receipts to document charges. No credit card info is stored on your phone.

Before you put either app on your phone, check for promotions. Both companies frequently offer promotions -- but know that most promotions are market-based, so a promotion in your home town may or may not be usable in Orlando.

Thank you so much for this information! We live in rural Colorado so lyft/uber is not very common here. ;)

Very good point. My last trip I had 50% off Lyft so I used it exclusively.

Definitely download both services and check both - the prices can vary widely. Also, if you haven't yet signed up for either, it is REALLY easy to get discounts toward your first ride or rides (just google - or more likely your resort will have discount cards at checkin). At the very least anyone who uses the app can send you a referral code for a few dollars off your first ride (and usually the person referring you get $5 off their next ride too).

We've used both services a lot during the last 3 or 4 trips and it's a super convenient way to get around. I've never found the drivers for either service to be anything other than wonderfully friendly.

I solely use Lyft. I am a driver and the company is much better run than the other.
...and I use Uber almost exclusively for the same reason, lol!

Honestly, both companies are fine for riders -- and WAY better/much cheaper than taxis. And again -- most drivers drive for both companies, so there is zero difference for the rider in most cases.

We ended up using Lyft. I signed my wife up for a new account and we had discounts for the first 10 rides.

You can use the RideGuru app to compare Lyft, Uber and a few other services.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter