Maelstrom

It is fun. We like it. It is probably the most ridden disney attraction for us as we seem to do it at least once every day we are at epcot. I wouldn't wait long for it though as lines seem to ebb and flow there.

The movie is fine, though we usually skip it now. The worst is when you get off your boat just after the movie started so you have to stand around, locked out of the theater. I wish there was some way around that.

GB

We go on it every single trip, multiple times, but we never stay for the show after

Is there a way to skip the movie?

Yep...just walk straight through the theater and don't sit down.
Unfortunately, it’s not that easy. Guests depart the boat at the end of the ride at a “dock” that is the entrance to the theater. The theater doors remain closed during the showing of the film so you must wait on the dock until the film is over.

Sometimes you get lucky and depart the boat while the theater doors are open and seating new guests. Then you are able to just walk through the theater without the wait or spending the time to see the movie. Of course, after you exit the theater you then enter one of the ubiquitous attraction gift shops.

Back when the Norway pavilion first opened, they had one item in the gift shop that was of interest to me, King Oscar Sardines. At that time, King Oscar Sardines had a very limited distribution and were only sold by a select few stores in the USA.

These sardines are caught in the fiords of Norway and they use a special process to purge the sardines prior to packaging. As a result they are more expensive than other commercially available sardines and use to be hard to find in some parts of the country.

Now, Bubble Bee Tuna is the distributor for King Oscar Sardines in the USA and you can find both at Wal-Mart. The Norway pavilion no longer sells King Oscar Sardines.

Unfortunately, it’s not that easy. Guests depart the boat at the end of the ride at a “dock” that is the entrance to the theater. The theater doors remain closed during the showing of the film so you must wait on the dock until the film is over.

Sometimes you get lucky and depart the boat while the theater doors are open and seating new guests. Then you are able to just walk through the theater without the wait or spending the time to see the movie. Of course, after you exit the theater you then enter one of the ubiquitous attraction gift shops.

I know you have to wait until the theater doors open, (I love this ride and ride it at least once if not more every trip :) ) but you never have to watch the movie if you don't want too, just keep walking through.

We went on this ride about 5 times in 30 minutes one day at Epcot while waiting for the rest of the family. The best part was the movie wasn't showing, so we could just walk through back to the start.

Also, riding this is a good reason to hang around the Norway Pavillion with the really hot Norwegian chicks working there.

OMG DH loves this ride and wants to go to Norway because of it ;) It is a cute little ride, it doesn't usually have a long wait but if there is a long wait, I would skip it and wait till later in the day. It's cute, but pretty short and not too exciting so I wouldn't waste much time waiting in line! :goodvibes

What exactly happens in this ride? Is there another ride you could compare with to?

I remember going on Maelstorm when I was a kid and this was about the most nail-biting ride my family did. (We were not much of thrill seekers, as you can guess!) The waterfall seemed so tall, the drop so much more. When we went this past September, I could hardly believe it was the same ride - I was looking around for this great big huge waterfall that I remembered as a kid!

"Yoow ahre nhot duh FURSS to Pass dis wayyyy."

When my sister was working at WDW, she recorded that on her cell phone and sent the sound file to all of us stuck back in Colorado. Still have it, makes my day to hear it.

When my sister was working at WDW, she recorded that on her cell phone and sent the sound file to all of us stuck back in Colorado. Still have it, makes my day to hear it.

That is funny....my kids laugh at me because I always watch the ride on youtube!!

Is the waterfall any larger than the tiny one in Pirates? My son told me he won't go on Pirates anymore because of that dip. He hates those kinds of rides and I'd feel really bad if I took him on this one and it was much larger. We rode a water roller coaster in a park back home and they took his photo going down the large hill. He looked like he was going to die...too funny but I won;t put him through it again until he says he is ready for it. He is almost 8 too!

Is the waterfall any larger than the tiny one in Pirates? My son told me he won't go on Pirates anymore because of that dip. He hates those kinds of rides and I'd feel really bad if I took him on this one and it was much larger. We rode a water roller coaster in a park back home and they took his photo going down the large hill. He looked like he was going to die...too funny but I won;t put him through it again until he says he is ready for it. He is almost 8 too!

My husband is a major weenie and the drop on Pirates bothers him a little, but he doesn't mind the drop on Maelstrom at all.

I remember going on Maelstorm when I was a kid and this was about the most nail-biting ride my family did. (We were not much of thrill seekers, as you can guess!) The waterfall seemed so tall, the drop so much more. When we went this past September, I could hardly believe it was the same ride - I was looking around for this great big huge waterfall that I remembered as a kid!

I remember when Maelstrom first opened, everyone made a big production about Disney's newest thrill ride.

I specifically remember the Today Show broadcasting from there just for the occasion, and Willard Scott and the other guests were wearing raincoats because it was being billed as a splashy kind of ride.

After seeing that, I remember being slightly disappointed when I rode Maelstrom for the first time. :sad2: :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter