Magazines in the mail

fly girl

DIS Veteran
Parents magazine started coming to my house out of the blue. Never subscribed, thought it was possibly sent from having a baby registry at Babies R Us. :confused3Well, my baby is now 8 years old and it's still coming.

And since then I have had other magazines arrive in my mailbox. Some last a few months, others a year or two. And in that really odd case 8 years!

Here are a few -- I can't think of them all.

Time
Better Homes and Gardens
People (I was bummed when that stopped:P)
Cooking Light
Newsweek
Allure

And today I just received Bon Apetite.

WTH?!?!?! :confused:

No one I know has signed me up for a subscription, so it must be some type of marketing ploy in hopes I enjoy the magazine so much I actually subscribe. But I find it weird, especially the ones that last more than 6 months.

Anyone else get this?

My husband receives Family Time (or something like ) magazine every month. Neither of us know where it comes from. Especially since we don't even have children.
But the magazine has some good coupons!

My husband receives Family Time (or something like ) magazine every month. Neither of us know where it comes from. Especially since we don't even have children.
But the magazine has some good coupons!

Lol, well you're still a family! :)

I like Parents for the coupons. Once in a while they will include a P&G saver ... SCORE! :thumbsup2

Think of the positive side. Sears doesn't print a catalog anymore:jester:

It could be a gift subscription from someone you know, or even just a casual acquaintance. I get quite a few magazines in the mail, they are my weakness and when they send me offers for a ridiculously low subscription rate I rarely pass them up. Then, when you've subscribed they start sending re-subscribing notices with the magazines where you can renew your own subscription for a very low price AND give 1-year free gift subscriptions to one or two of your friends. I've only done that once, when I knew my DD would like one of the magazines. Most of the time I just toss them in the wastebasket but that could be why you've gotten some magazines you didn't subscribe to yourself.

It could be a gift subscription from someone you know, or even just a casual acquaintance. I get quite a few magazines in the mail, they are my weakness and when they send me offers for a ridiculously low subscription rate I rarely pass them up. Then, when you've subscribed they start sending re-subscribing notices with the magazines where you can renew your own subscription for a very low price AND give 1-year free gift subscriptions to one or two of your friends. I've only done that once, when I knew my DD would like one of the magazines. Most of the time I just toss them in the wastebasket but that could be why you've gotten some magazines you didn't subscribe to yourself.

Nope, not a gift subscription. I asked around.

It's random magazines too. Nobody would send me Allure. I'm too old.

We started getting Parents magazine too. We don't have any kids and it came addressed to DH. No Idea where it came from.

Pretty old school marketing. Send a free sample, see if they will subscribe.

The one marketing campaign I don't get is the one by Similac sending free baby formula samples to men in their 80's.

Parents magazine started coming to my house out of the blue. Never subscribed, thought it was possibly sent from having a baby registry at Babies R Us. :confused3Well, my baby is now 8 years old and it's still coming.

And since then I have had other magazines arrive in my mailbox. Some last a few months, others a year or two. And in that really odd case 8 years!

Here are a few -- I can't think of them all.

Time
Better Homes and Gardens
People (I was bummed when that stopped:P)
Cooking Light
Newsweek
Allure

And today I just received Bon Apetite.

WTH?!?!?! :confused:

No one I know has signed me up for a subscription, so it must be some type of marketing ploy in hopes I enjoy the magazine so much I actually subscribe. But I find it weird, especially the ones that last more than 6 months.

Anyone else get this?
I've been getting Ebony Magazine for about 5 years. I have no idea why. I don't order magazines at all. I flip through it, but articles about hair care and the like wouldn't necessarily work for my straight, blonde locks. :-)

I receive Seventeen (I'm 36), Vogue (loved this in my teens and early 20s, now meh) and Martha Stewart Living. I have no idea where they came from.

We recently started receiving Glamour. It's just DH and me and our two teen boys. We definitely don't need Glamour. I find it extremely annoying because we try very hard to be environmentally friendly. I can't stand just tossing that thick magazine in the recycle bin. It's such a waste. I don't know anyone who wants it. I tried cancelling online, and it asks me to make an account and give them my email. I don't want to give out my email.

I get it if it were for a month or two, but YEARS? :confused3
Missed that part of the post. However there are magazines that are entirely advertising supported. They put together a mailing list and sell advertisers that demographic group, and deliver the magazines without subscription.
I get CHINA TODAY at work, as do several other co-workers, so I suspect that magazine has advertisers that want to reach people in the media.

Did you enter the Clearing House contest? Some I know did and started getting them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter